Just came from the Verizon store... Have a few questions...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

This is my very first post as a TiPb member!

I have been an avid BlackBerry user for the past 5 years or so. Every time an upgrade rolled around, I would just look at whatever new BlackBerry was on the market. Well, it's that time again, only this time there really isn't a "new" BlackBerry available. I have a Storm 2 currently (in the past I've had a Curve 8330, Storm 1, Tour and Storm 2). With the lack of new BlackBerries on Verizon, my eyes have wandered and are locked on an iPhone. I stopped by my local Verizon store to play with a phone today, but still have a couple of questions because their display phones were set on a demo mode and they were locked down pretty tight. I couldn't make folders, access the web, nothing (the did have the reception was programed to full strength which I thought was tricky).

Anyway:

1) I'm coming from a BlackBerry and calendar notifications are important. How does the iPhone remind you of upcoming events and appointments? One feature that I love about my BlackBerry is that even if the phone is on silent, the calendar events still ring.

2) Is there a straight up silent mode (no vibrate)? I only messed around with the phone for a few minutes but couldn't figure it out.

3) Does Verizon charge for the iPhone visual voicemail feature?

4) As far as text and other notifications go, they all appear in a pop up like box on the home screen, right?

Any other information or links to articles would be GREATLY appreciated! I haven't had to "think" about a cell phone purchase in a long time, so I definitely want to make an educated decision.

I apologize if these questions have already been addressed elsewhere, I am completely new here and don't really know where to look! Thanks for the help!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Answers...

1) I'm still investigating that one myself... since jailbreaking - I'm investigating more.
2) Jailbreaking & an app called MyProfiles will give you customizeable profiles - you could create one for total silent/no vibrate.
3) No.
4) Yes - however jailbreaking can give you lots of additional options.

Additional information is like an app - there's a forum for anything you might want to know, or posts here - read the sticky posts - and use the forum search function - you'll find an answer to anything you might want to know.

Reactions: iLive an iLife

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello!

This is my very first post as a TiPb member!

I have been an avid BlackBerry user for the past 5 years or so. Every time an upgrade rolled around, I would just look at whatever new BlackBerry was on the market. Well, it's that time again, only this time there really isn't a "new" BlackBerry available. I have a Storm 2 currently (in the past I've had a Curve 8330, Storm 1, Tour and Storm 2). With the lack of new BlackBerries on Verizon, my eyes have wandered and are locked on an iPhone. I stopped by my local Verizon store to play with a phone today, but still have a couple of questions because their display phones were set on a demo mode and they were locked down pretty tight. I couldn't make folders, access the web, nothing (the did have the reception was programed to full strength which I thought was tricky).

Anyway:

1) I'm coming from a BlackBerry and calendar notifications are important. How does the iPhone remind you of upcoming events and appointments? One feature that I love about my BlackBerry is that even if the phone is on silent, the calendar events still ring.

2) Is there a straight up silent mode (no vibrate)? I only messed around with the phone for a few minutes but couldn't figure it out.

3) Does Verizon charge for the iPhone visual voicemail feature?

4) As far as text and other notifications go, they all appear in a pop up like box on the home screen, right?

Any other information or links to articles would be GREATLY appreciated! I haven't had to "think" about a cell phone purchase in a long time, so I definitely want to make an educated decision.

I apologize if these questions have already been addressed elsewhere, I am completely new here and don't really know where to look! Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the iPhone4!

1.) Calendar notifications are Pop-ups with a default chime tone.

2.) The toggle switch on the left side is to activate silent mode. Go into "Settings" then "Sounds" The 1st option at the top of the screen allows you to choose whether you want vibration "on/off" when you toggle the silent switch.

3.) No charge for VVM. Free for the iPhone.

4.) Yes, along with the # of messages received. There is a setting that allows you to hide the contents when a txt msg. pops-up. Go to "Settings" then "Messages" You will see a "preview" option, turn it off and the contents of your text msg. will NOT appear when the txt msg. alert pops up.

Mk4Jetta

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I would do some research on Jailbreaking before you purchase, as the stock notifications on the iPhone are pretty bad. Plenty of info about that if you search for it. I don't personally use the calendar but I have heard many complaints about it from people coming from blackberrys. BUT, you will be amazed by everything else on the iPhone compared to blackberry.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's responses!

I've done a little research on jailbreaking. If you jailbreak, it voids the warranty, correct? I really like the current theme of the phone, so I don't want to change the look of the phone. The only thing, I can see, missing is the calendar notifications (but I can probably live without that calendar features, it'll just take awhile to adjust). Are Facebook/Twitter notifications pushed (like on BlackBerry)?

Also, one thing I forgot to mention in my original post. How is the battery life on the iPhone? I was considering the Droid Incredible or Thunderbolt for awhile but I've heard nothing but horrendous stories (and speculation) about their batteries.

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
battery life isn't anything to write home about but it is slightly worse than my Storm 2. Not by much.
Also your warranty will be void IF you send it back jailbroken. If you can reinstall original OS before you send it back, your fine...
You can get better calendar apps, and FB notifications are pushed and there are some twitter apps that will do the same

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been a BB abuser for almost 10 years and I just got the VZW iPhone after getting really bored with nothing new in the BB world...I'm glad I did, because I love it! It was an easy transition and i JB'd it almost before it came out of the box! Power user all the way! ;)

lshartle

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I myself was an avid BlackBerry user and also came from a Storm 2. HUGE difference between the two, iPhone is much better. BlackBerry offered a few more customizable features but it's a trade-off because the iPhone has many more features than a BB.
Also, iPhone can do email just as good, if not better than BB and emails look the way they're supposed to. I've had my iPhone for about 2 weeks now and I don't miss my BB at all.
Facebook notifications are pushed and although I do have Twitter I do not have notifications enabled so I can't comment on that.
As for battery life, I would actually dare to say it's a little better than my Storm 2 was.
And by the way, one huge difference between the iPhone and a BB is you won't have to do a battery pull every again. That alone is almost worth it.

Last edited:

doctord23

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Get the iPhone. I was happy with my Storm 2 but the iPhone is much better. My friend complains about the lack of an LED message indicator, but I haven't missed it. As others have said
1. Calendar Notifications pop-up on the screen with a tone.
2. Silent mode is a click of a button away and you can shut-off the vibrate.
3. Visual voicemail is standard.
4. Any push notification shows up on screen even if the phone is locked, i.e. ebay, facebook, twitter, etc.

I think the battery life is better on the iPhone. I'm not a heavy user, but I can go 2 days without a charge. I had to charge the Storm 2 every day.

ShannonDavis

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I went from BB Storm1 to Droid Incredible to iPhone. All under Verizon. I loved my Storm1. Evidently I'm in the minority but I really liked BB Messenger and SureType. Blackberry is still the best with emails. However, that is the ONLY thing they are the best at. My DInc was pretty awesome. The OS was smooth and the browser actually works. The apps are pretty cool also. Then the iPhone became available with Verizon. You really can't go wrong with the iPhone. Visual voicemail is free. Just click on the phone, click on the far right icon and click to hear your voicemail. You don't have to dial and enter your password. My battery life is better on my iPhone than my Dinc, but not as good as on the Storm1. Unless you jailbreak, your text messages will pop up on your screen; either the full message or the name of the sender, depending on your setting.

Bottom line - there is a reason there are so many fans of the iPhone. The device is so smooth and so slick that you will fall in love.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I've just switched to i4 from 3 years of blackberry, most recently storm2. My s2 would go most 2 days before needing charged, my iphone only goes one, sometimes less than one, but my wifi is usually on all day where it wasn't on my s2. I don't mind because I charge every night anyway. I got used to not having a notification led (but I still wouldn't mind one). I really dislike not being able to set different tones for different email accounts. Email is pretty similar as far as chatting back an forth, but iphone lacks any kind of file management so there's no attaching a file or anything while composing (you can attach some things from their appropriate apps). Actually you can't even really save any files from the internet or email to iphone (which sucks if you actually use that feature). There may be an app for saving files. I love how seamless and fluid the os works from going app to app, browsing photos, etc.

After a little over 2 weeks of use, here's my opinion. The iphone is an excellent media/internet phone, but it lacks many features that blackberry offers for a more advanced/power user. If you don't use the file manager on bb, need the ability to attach more than a picture to an email, and can get over a relatively poor notification system then you'll be happy with the iphone. I really think Apple didn't originally intend on it being a "business" phone, but it has been thrown in the category due to it's popularity. Also I'd like to note that the build quality between my i4 and s2 feel about the same. To me it was definitely worth the $199 upgrade, but I would have been quite disappointed if I paid $650 for it.

Last edited:

cariduros

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Man...do I not miss those battery pulls. I was doing that 3 times a day on my Storm. As for the battery, it's actually very good. I know that if I went for a run and streamed music for an hour, the BB would drain 30% or more. When I do the same with the iPhone, it seems to lose about half that. I guess it depends how many apps you are running at the same time though.

KenwoodPI

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Blackberry user since the two-way BB pager 850, then Treo 650, and back to Blackberry. I've wanted the iPhone since it orginally came out, but cannot do ATT. I find the iPhone calendar and notification system very lacking compared to the Blackberry - I'm trying to resist jailbreaking, as seeing the "Today" feature on the main screen is very tough not having. Since switching, I'm finding I'm not as "aware" of what's on my calendar as I used to.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just checked my thread this morning and I wanted to say thanks again for all of these responses, I really appreciate it. I've been a member of several forums before and, unfortunately, now of the members are as nice as all of you!

I think I am ready to make the plunge! Now, the question is 16 or 32 gigs? Haha!

Couple questions about jailbreaking:

1) How difficult is it?
2) Is it reversible?
3) Can I jailbreak just for the profile feature and leave everything else alone (I really like the look of the iPhone)?

If someone could direct me to an article, blog post or "How To" guide, that would be great!

Thanks again all!

PS - I guess case suggestions would be nice too! :)

Last edited:

verks

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
I just checked my thread this morning and I wanted to say thanks again for all of these responses, I really appreciate it. I've been a member of several forums before and, unfortunately, now of the members are as nice as all of you!

I think I am ready to make the plunge! Now, the question is 16 or 32 gigs? Haha!

Couple questions about jailbreaking:

1) How difficult is it?
2) Is it reversible?
3) Can I jailbreak just for the profile feature and leave everything else alone (I really like the look of the iPhone)?

If someone could direct me to an article, blog post or "How To" guide, that would be great!

Thanks again all!

PS - I guess case suggestions would be nice too! :)

Hey,

1. Not difficult. just read up in the jailbrake forums and become familiar with the terms and process.
2. Yes. Just restore from itunes. That will return you to 100% stock. Warranty restored too. LOL
3. Yes, just do what you like. After awhile you will see all the cool things you can do and you will be more comfortable.

See:
Instructions on how to Jailbrake

Cases, if you want full protection try Otterbox. I love them. Otherwise its person preference.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods