who switched from Android to iOS and why??

bailman

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have been using the OG Droid since its debut. I have been waiting on the Thunderbolt, but am really discouraged with the release issue(s). I have always liked the look of the iPhone, but never used one. I am really curious, but not sure if I should jump, especially since I heard there was a $120 restocking fee if you return it? Just looking for thoughts, both positive and/or negative. Thanks

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I switched from an incredible to the iphone 4 -- for a day and then switched back to the DINC. I had been waiting for th Thunderbolt and became fed up withthe situation so I went back and bought another I phone. I've had it for 3 or 4 days now and have to say I actually really like it. I miss Google Maps on Android (far superior than the iphone version) and Google's voice integration, but the screen, the apps, and the hardware are really wonderful. Hopefully next week Apple will introduce more cloud integration. I may still buy an Android device, but I'm going to wait until iphone 5 and all the 4G devices are released. As an aside, I find myself using Facetime and Skype video (over 3G) often to talk to my kids, which is really great! Gmail syncs well and so do my contacts.

You can find my initial impressions here:

http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-forum/206112-anyone-switch-back-android-1.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...iphone-today-while-waiting-bolt-released.html

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
$35 restocking fee, at least at the Verizon store.....

I was a HTC Evo user and decided to switch from Sprint to Verizon for better cell coverage in my area. I decided on the iPhone because I wanted one since their initial release, but never considered switching to AT&T because of inferior coverage (they don't even have 3G in my area). I liked Android, a LOT, but was convinced that I would love the iphone just as much... boy was I wrong.

I may get flamed for saying this, since this IS an iPhone forum, but IMO, Android is king here... there are just so many things that I took for granted in Android that iOS simply does not offer, or is incredibly difficult and/or needs jailbreaking to accomplish. Here are a few of my MAJOR complaints:

1) Notifications - They absolutely suck in iOS, plain and simple. The drop-down notification bar in Android is awesome. In iOS, notifications are just blue popup windows on your screen. Sometimes they get hidden behind new notifications and just disappear, and sometimes they seem to dismiss themselves, while other times they will just stack on top of eachother. Very annoying....

2) Calendar - Not up to par. I like to be reminded or nagged when I have an appointment alert, and have the option to snooze the alert for a given amount of time. This is not possible in iOS that I have found. You get a single alert, and popup window, that is easily lost in the shuffle (see above). There is also no week view in the stock calendar, only day or month. There are a lot of great calendar apps in the app store, but none that completely satisfy all of my needs.

3) Navigation - Android users need to be thankful for Google Navigation. It is awesome and iOS does not have anything even close to this, especially for free. There are TomTom apps in the app store that offer similar functionality (sans the google search integration) but cost anywhere from $25 and up. Google nav is priceless. The iOS maps app is similar to the google maps app that I had on my blackberry a few years ago. A decent map application, but leaves me wanting more.

4) Customization - I probably don't need to go here, everyone probably knows enough about this. In iOS, what you see is what you get. Sure, you can change the wallpaper. But anything else is too much of a pain to be worth it, or requires jailbreaking. Could not believe how difficult it was to add some ringtones to my iphone. Unless you purchase them in itunes, it requires downloading, converting, changing file extensions, and syncing them to your phone in itunes.... in other words, hardly worth it. Also, there is no customizing the SMS tones or email tones, period. What apple gives you (10 choices or so) is all you get, you can't even add more.

Also, I really like having the option to change my keyboard in Android (I love swype), as well as SMS apps etc. Forget it on the iphone, not happening.... This is just the tip of the iceberg, smartphones are all about customization, I like to have the freedom of choosing what I want.

5) Google integration - I am a Google Apps (for my domain) business user. I use GMail, Google Docs, Google Voice, Calendar, and pretty much everything else that Google offers. All of these services are pretty tightly integrated in Android. In iOS it is a bit too cumbersome. I am able to use most of these services still, but they are scattered throughout many apps that do not work well together.

Okay, so there are my gripes. I cannot say that I am completely dissatisfied with the iphone, because there are plenty of things that it does very well:

Netflix app - I have been wanting this for a while now. I got it, watched a movie, and that was it. Probably won't use the app again. I am rarely in a position where I really need to watch a movie on my little smartphone screen. It is a very neat app to have, but I don't need it.

Skype Video Chat - I was really disappointed that Skype had not released this for Android yet. I had a FFC on my Evo, but no skype app to video chat with anyone.... still kinda bummed that it isn't released yet, since I will likely be going back to android.

Facetime - This is very cool.... very very cool....

Other things worth noting:

- Screen is very nice
- Battery life is quite exceptional (this is the big downer for most android phones)
- iPod integration is a plus
- There are more accessories for iphone
- The iphone hardware design is second to none, I love the way this phone looks/feels
- More/higher quality apps in the app store (android is slowly catching up, though)
- Really nice camera (my Evo had a very nice camera too)

Everyone can call me names and shun me from the forums here if you would like, but I am just being brutally honest. The iPhone is beautiful, a really nice phone. But coming from Android, iOS has a LOT of catching up to do.....

I am going to return the iphone next week and wait for the Thunderbolt. I might try iPhone again someday, but right now it is just not for me....

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I was a HTC Evo user and decided to switch from Sprint to Verizon for better cell coverage in my area. I decided on the iPhone because I wanted one since their initial release, but never considered switching to AT&T because of inferior coverage (they don't even have 3G in my area). I liked Android, a LOT, but was convinced that I would love the iphone just as much... boy was I wrong.

I may get flamed for saying this, since this IS an iPhone forum, but IMO, Android is king here... there are just so many things that I took for granted in Android that iOS simply does not offer, or is incredibly difficult and/or needs jailbreaking to accomplish. Here are a few of my MAJOR complaints:

1) Notifications - They absolutely suck in iOS, plain and simple. The drop-down notification bar in Android is awesome. In iOS, notifications are just blue popup windows on your screen. Sometimes they get hidden behind new notifications and just disappear, and sometimes they seem to dismiss themselves, while other times they will just stack on top of eachother. Very annoying....

2) Calendar - Not up to par. I like to be reminded or nagged when I have an appointment alert, and have the option to snooze the alert for a given amount of time. This is not possible in iOS that I have found. You get a single alert, and popup window, that is easily lost in the shuffle (see above). There is also no week view in the stock calendar, only day or month. There are a lot of great calendar apps in the app store, but none that completely satisfy all of my needs.

3) Navigation - Android users need to be thankful for Google Navigation. It is awesome and iOS does not have anything even close to this, especially for free. There are TomTom apps in the app store that offer similar functionality (sans the google search integration) but cost anywhere from $25 and up. Google nav is priceless. The iOS maps app is similar to the google maps app that I had on my blackberry a few years ago. A decent map application, but leaves me wanting more.

4) Customization - I probably don't need to go here, everyone probably knows enough about this. In iOS, what you see is what you get. Sure, you can change the wallpaper. But anything else is too much of a pain to be worth it, or requires jailbreaking. Could not believe how difficult it was to add some ringtones to my iphone. Unless you purchase them in itunes, it requires downloading, converting, changing file extensions, and syncing them to your phone in itunes.... in other words, hardly worth it. Also, there is no customizing the SMS tones or email tones, period. What apple gives you (10 choices or so) is all you get, you can't even add more.

Also, I really like having the option to change my keyboard in Android (I love swype), as well as SMS apps etc. Forget it on the iphone, not happening.... This is just the tip of the iceberg, smartphones are all about customization, I like to have the freedom of choosing what I want.

5) Google integration - I am a Google Apps (for my domain) business user. I use GMail, Google Docs, Google Voice, Calendar, and pretty much everything else that Google offers. All of these services are pretty tightly integrated in Android. In iOS it is a bit too cumbersome. I am able to use most of these services still, but they are scattered throughout many apps that do not work well together.

Okay, so there are my gripes. I cannot say that I am completely dissatisfied with the iphone, because there are plenty of things that it does very well:

Netflix app - I have been wanting this for a while now. I got it, watched a movie, and that was it. Probably won't use the app again. I am rarely in a position where I really need to watch a movie on my little smartphone screen. It is a very neat app to have, but I don't need it.

Skype Video Chat - I was really disappointed that Skype had not released this for Android yet. I had a FFC on my Evo, but no skype app to video chat with anyone.... still kinda bummed that it isn't released yet, since I will likely be going back to android.

- Screen is very nice
- Battery life is quite exceptional (this is the big downer for most android phones)
- The iphone hardware design is second to none, I love the way this phone looks/feels
- More/higher quality apps in the app store (android is slowly catching up, though)

Everyone can call me names and shun me from the forums here if you would like, but I am just being brutally honest. The iPhone is beautiful, a really nice phone. But coming from Android, iOS has a LOT of catching up to do.....

I am going to return the iphone next week and wait for the Thunderbolt. I might try iPhone again someday, but right now it is just not for me....

+1. I am a HUGE Apple fan (see signature) and have 3 days left in my 14-day trial period. I am still on the fence as to whether I should keep/return to my D-Inc. and wait to see what features the iPhone5 brings to the table.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I Android has better in my opinion is notifications. All the other stuff about customization and stuff is user preference. But Android's notification system is clearly superior. Other than that everything else is complete overkill. A jailbroken iPhone > rooted Android device IMO. Everything with the iPhone is easier in my opinion. Some people like sitting down for hours at a time to figure out stuff. That's all good and well but I don't.

And of course Google integration should be better on Android. That's a no brainer but again that's user preference because everyone isn't heavily invested in Google's services. But for those that are, they will definitely have the better experience on an Android device. But besides that, my EVO was buggy at times, bad battery life, I don't like the menu-heavy OS and I think it's overkill. I do wish iOS offered more customization options but not as much as Android. They over did it there. The email is inconsistent depending on the device you get. Meaning that on vanilla Android, email works better than email on one with HTC Sense. I don't get that. Shouldn't have to go to the app market to get a decent email app. I like Android a lot but I just don't like having to manage my device. Whether it's managing the battery, the apps via an app killer or all the options in the system. I just like being able to pick up the iPhone and going and not having to dedicate hours at a time to "get it right". Just my thoughts.

Reactions: pipemilo

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I used an Android for over a year, to get me by while I patiently waited for Verizon to get the iPhone. I received my Verizon iPhone on the 7th and won't ever look back!! Android was always lagging, choppy, apps below par, apps slow to respond, heck I sometimes couldn't even answer a call because my Android would lag so bad or not respond at all until it was good and ready, good thing I never needed to call 911!

They create a new Android phone each month it seems like, quickly forgetting to ever give the people with an "older" Android device a software update to correct ongoing bugs/issues.

Because I own everything Apple, I don't miss anything Google, I'll take my iCal, Mail, Address Book, any day! I feel like anything the Android could do Apple does it better for me!

Julie

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

- Screen is very nice

I hope people here would be mature enough not to call you names or shun you over a difference of opinion.

As much as I love my iPhone, I think you're absolutely right and that was a very good post. It just so happens that for me, those aren't big issues at all. If they were, though, then I'd still have an Android phone. In the same token, though, I have just as many problems with Android - most of which you probably wouldn't consider problems at all.

Just different strokes for different folks.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been a die hard Android since the Original Droid came out. Prior to that I had loved my iPod Touch and swore by it. However once I got into rooting and flashing ROMs I swore I would never use the iOS until it got more innovative. Well I am intrigued by it and decided that after work tonight I am going to pick up the ip4 and give it a fair go. I have a macbook and do enjoy Apple products. I will report back and let you know my findings. Its going to be hard to put down my Incredible, but I have owned every major OS out there except for iOS so why not lol.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope people here would be mature enough not to call you names or shun you over a difference of opinion.

As much as I love my iPhone, I think you're absolutely right and that was a very good post. It just so happens that for me, those aren't big issues at all. If they were, though, then I'd still have an Android phone. In the same token, though, I have just as many problems with Android - most of which you probably wouldn't consider problems at all.

Just different strokes for different folks.

Agreed. For the record, I am not saying that Android is without its own issues, either. There are plenty of annoyances in Android, but none that are as counter-productive (at least for me) as the annoyances in iOS.

I really wanted to love this phone. Like I said, the hardware design is second to none, just beautiful. It is just the little quirks in the software that are holding me back. I really hope to see some improvements in the coming OS releases. Maybe I will give it another go in a year or two.

All else aside, both platforms are incredibly innovative and amaze me every day. The competition between the two platforms is great for all of us, they are only going to get better.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I <3 my iPhone but all your arguments are legitimate.

The notification system sucks, and not in a good way. ;) Supposedly, that's aimed to be revamped for iOS 5, and hopefully we will see information to that on 3/2 but no guarantees to either of those.

The Calendar is good, I really like the ease of integration with Google, but I agree it would be nice to have a reminder that I can "snooze" or flat out "dismiss".

I'm not sure the lack of built in navigation is a knock against the iPhone so much as the Google Navigation on Android is just a pro in it's column. There are a bunch of great GPS applications on the iPhone, some of them free, some of them paid for.

Customization is different for everyone. Apple could allow more, but I'm ok at what I can do without jailbreaking in that regard ( though I jailbreak for other reasons ).

In the end it comes down to what device does what you want with as little inconvenience to your work flow and increases your productivity, be it phone calls, emails, texting, gaming, whatever.

Martog

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
1) Notifications -

Couldn't agree more on this, came from a BB Storm though, and yeah I hate the notification system on the iOS devices. In fact I only have notifications turned on for the built in apps as I don't want pop ups in my face all the time.

2) Calendar -

I could see it being nice, I never used it in Outlook, I generally dismiss mine and put my reminders are a good time.

3) Navigation -

It definitely is nice to have a Turn by Turn application built into the phone, but if I am not mistake, like the iPhone version and BB, the maps are not on the device. This means if you loose data services, you are kind of SOL with the maps. I can't give up my dedicated Garmin GPS for an app, though I'd probably get Navigon if I did, since it has all the maps on the device. I just don't want to risk loosing data services and be up a creek when I am unfamiliar with the area. it is nice to save $100-$200 for a dedicated GPS, but Google I can't see pre-loaded the ROM's with full maps, though too bad they won't offer an option to download a complete set just in case the data services are unavailable.

4) Customization -

I would like customizing my SMS/MMS and other notifications beyond the default for sure, I miss having loaded any MP3 from my BB and select it as a tone. Though for the iPhone, there are plenty of converters that will will put it in the right extension, and if you have an actual app, some will drop it right into iTunes for you, making it a fairly easy process.

I never used swype before, just seen it. It does bug me the keyboard does not always rotate to landscape, depending on the App.

5) Google integration

No real comment as I don't really use much of Google's stuff besides searching and Latitude, which I find Latitude works great long as I keep signed into it, which I never do, only sign in when I need it just like on my BB, though I liked that the Google maps app had Latitude built in.

My upgrade with no price reduction beyond subsidized had came up a couple days before Christmas and the rumors were very strong so I decide to hold out instead of getting an Android. I think if the iPhone didn't come to Verizon, I was going to hold out for one of the 4G handsets due to their specs (I don't' have 4G but having the horsepower on the phones isn't a bad thing).

There are definitely some things that need redesigned or polished in iOS. I also love how Apple releases the updates and you don't wait until the manufacture then the carrier to push updates out. It wouldn't be as bad if Google would have Sprint or Verizon carry a Nexus phone. I guess I can be impatient about OS updates on the phone, but after coming from a Storm 1 and 2, well, looking for something that made the phone better was always on my agenda...

I think either platform is a great one, and will come down to personal preference of the phone itself.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I will only switch if it offers more the what I get in android. While its easy to use and looks purdy, thats just the end of it. I like the social networking integration, the "tap and hold for more options" I like how you can get another android phone, enter your Gmail information and all your content comes back. No need to hook it up to a computer with a cable its all done over the air. (great if you are at the store doing an exchange like I had to do last november you can start using the phone right away)

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Android devices I've owned....Original Droid, Ally, Fascinate, Incredible and Droid X...in the beginning, they are smooth and fast but then they become slow, sluggish and very laggy. I do love the notifications and Google voice turn by turn directions is fantastic. But I have TomTom on my iPhone and am customizing the notifications more since I JB it. For me personally, I'll never go back to Android.

buggyman

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I came from over a year of Android and the last phone being the Evo since launch. I never thought of an Iphone until this last year going to Apple computers and Apple Tv at home. I love apple products.

Anyways, I got the Iphone for everything to work together. I am not sure I would have an Iphone if it was not for the other Apple products..

my list of things that suck or need improvement on Iphone:
notifications got without saying. SUCK.
I think android is easier to use in many ways. I MISS LONG PRESS. which brings up all options. If I am looking at a photo all I do is long press to forward to FB, twitter, email, etc.
I miss google integration.
Google nav is second to none.
Google voice was AWESOME.
Sending and forwarding texts was way easier and better on Android.

THings I think Iphone does better
I don't miss widgets. After a month or so of using them I get sick of them. I like the way apple does it with basically a app launcher.
I don't like how on the Evo you had to change every setting just to get the battery through the day. IPHONE BLOWS Android away in the battery department.
Things do work better or Iphone but not as much as people make out. I used Android long enough to learn how things worked.
Iphone screen is better then EVO but still wish it was 4 inches. I find I dont browse the web as much with Iphone as I did with Evo because of screen size. I also don't like that some sites are automatically phone size and I have to go to bottom to make regular site. Evo I could set to stay I the way I wanted.

In the end I like the Iphone and will stay with it to utilize the Apple Eco system I have and in the end that is what is most important to me.

Reactions: jwhite4304#WP

jwhite4304#WP

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I came from over a year of Android and the last phone being the Evo since launch. I never thought of an Iphone until this last year going to Apple computers and Apple Tv at home. I love apple products.

Anyways, I got the Iphone for everything to work together. I am not sure I would have an Iphone if it was not for the other Apple products..

my list of things that suck or need improvement on Iphone:
notifications got without saying. SUCK.
I think android is easier to use in many ways. I MISS LONG PRESS. which brings up all options. If I am looking at a photo all I do is long press to forward to FB, twitter, email, etc.
I miss google integration.
Sending and forwarding texts was way easier and better on Android.

THings I think Iphone does better
I don't miss widgets. After a month or so of using them I get sick of them. I like the way apple does it with basically a app launcher.
I don't like how on the Evo you had to change every setting just to get the battery through the day. IPHONE BLOWS Android away in the battery department.
Things do work better or Iphone but not as much as people make out. I used Android long enough to learn how things worked.
Iphone screen is better then EVO but still wish it was 4 inches. I find I dont browse the web as much with Iphone as I did with Evo because of screen size. I also don't like that some sites are automatically phone size and I have to go to bottom to make regular site. Evo I could set to stay I the way I wanted.

In the end I like the Iphone and will stay with it to utilize the Apple Eco system I have and in the end that is what is most important to me.
Ditto for me coming from a Droid.
Jimbo

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just came from a DX, liking it so far. But the final verdict is still out. I do miss a great deal about it. But i am hoping it's just separation anxiety!

I will keep you posted.

ahampton2k#IM

Jan 24, 2011
twitter.com
Switched from a Droid Incredible. Had Moto Droid before that.

Overall, am very happy with the switch. Battery life is much MUCH better, tons of apps/games, and overall quality in OS/physical build are some of things I like. Also like that when an updated OS is available, I don't have to wait indefinitely for it to be made available for my device (like Froyo, Gingerbread, etc).

My dislikes are notifications, lock screen not showing info, and slippery phone made of glass. I put a bumper on it to help keep it from sliding around. Also hoping iOS 5 fixes notifications and put more information on the lock screen.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site

Google nav is much better than my GPS system. Google voice, I use for work related stuff only.

I love the widgets. The calendar widget is priceless. All my appointments and stuff are right there.

The thing I hate most about Android is that it's like a PC. It gets laggy and slow after time. You either have to root it or buy new again. I had the original droid and I was happy with it. Then I... got.... Fro..... yo...... it........ can be slow at t....... times.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice