LTE iPhone in 2012

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
don't think it was ever going to come out this year. not many places will have LTE service in their area when the i5 comes out. same thing happened with the original iPhone, 3G wasn't even in my area. by the time the 3G iPhone came out, i had it in my area.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I hate when places say its "delayed". It's not delayed, It was just never intended to be released in 2011 in the first place. Like Duvi said, LTE is available in very few areas as of now. Investing in a 4G iphone that would only reach its full potential in select areas would be a pointless investment for apple.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, no surprise. And my area doesn't even have 4G LTE available, but i'm sure by that time it will, and by that time, my new contract will be up :D

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We don't have LTE, but we do have wimax. We should be getting LTE later this year. Good news is Sprint is in talks of ditching Wimax for LTE, so who knows. Nice to see LTE branching out and Apple not tring to grab exclusive rights like they did with the thunderbolt port. :rolleyes:

I guess this could be a good thing, but then again with ten or so LTE ready devices this year and more coming, Apple may have a run for its money unless they have a feature packed iPhone 5 thats not just another "3Gs" update.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
AT&T will have their ' backhaul ' ( HSPA+ ) for their 4G network by the end of this year. So They won't have LTE will who knows when. Apple can release a HSPA+ / LTE device this year as well. I wouldn't see it as a waste in investments.

The iPhone 3G came with a 3.6Mbps 3G chip when AT&T network didn't provide it in many areas. The following year they provide 3.6mbps in more areas and then the iPhone 3GS came with with 7.2Mbps and more people are able to tap into 7.2mpbs.

If Apple leases a HSPA+ / LTE device for AT&T , sure not a lot of people will be able to take advantage of LTE but by the following year people will be able to tap into the HSPA+ speeds and the following year be able to get LTE.

If they don't release such a device I'm definitely not buying it no matter what because that would be a way for them to force people to by the LTE version after the buy the non-LTE version this year. Alternatively , they may say ' Verizon has LTE in more locations so buy their iPhone ' if Apple only decides to do it only for Verizon. Apple has a way of forcing people to get the new thing without actually forcing them so I'm sure they'll do what they can to make the most money.

I would do without a fake 4G phone until the real one comes out.

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
AT&T will have their ' backhaul ' ( HSPA+ ) for their 4G network by the end of this year. So They won't have LTE will who knows when. Apple can release a HSPA+ / LTE device this year as well. I wouldn't see it as a waste in investments.

AT&T is starting their LTE rollout mid 2011 and hopes to finish by end of 2013. Then again, AT&T isn't really known for hitting their dates that well.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
AT&T is starting their LTE rollout mid 2011 and hopes to finish by end of 2013. Then again, AT&T isn't really known for hitting their dates that well.

Even better , so then I don't see why apple would ' delay ' a LTE model until 2012 ... According to that source.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's only "delayed" in the eyes of the analysts who were hoping that it was going to be released this year. The wording is very poor and could have easily been twisted as such inan attempt to drive apple stock down. Bad writer is bad.

Crucial_Xtreme

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
LTE is still very young in North America and is sparse in our country. Verizon, the only current operator of true LTE and they don't even have LTE voice rolled out to customers. This makes designing the device(network stack) tough as the hand-off must be seamless. Apple is smart to wait until 2012 for a full LTE iPhone when LTE has matured and there's sufficient network coverage.

Reactions: jhamilton3

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't bother me that it might be delayed.. I definitely didn't think it would happen this year anyway.

Doesn't mean iPhone 5 won't be great. :D

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

The iPhone 3G came with a 3.6Mbps 3G chip when AT&T network didn't provide it in many areas. The following year they provide 3.6mbps in more areas and then the iPhone 3GS came with with 7.2Mbps and more people are able to tap into 7.2mpbs.

If Apple leases a HSPA+ / LTE device for AT&T , sure not a lot of people will be able to take advantage of LTE but by the following year people will be able to tap into the HSPA+ speeds and the following year be able to get LTE.

If they don't release such a device I'm definitely not buying it no matter what because that would be a way for them to force people to by the LTE version after the buy the non-LTE version this year. Alternatively , they may say ' Verizon has LTE in more locations so buy their iPhone ' if Apple only decides to do it only for Verizon. Apple has a way of forcing people to get the new thing without actually forcing them so I'm sure they'll do what they can to make the most money.

I would do without a fake 4G phone until the real one comes out.

why LTE if the new iPhone will be capable of LTE-like speeds, allegedly?

i honestly don't think LTE is that big of a deal if you're on a GSM carrier already. for verizon (and other cdma carriers), yes as it'll give them the speed of the gsm carriers and simultaneous voice & data.

i care more about the features the phone will be getting rather than 3G vs 3.5G vs. 4G and that LTE or LTE-Advanced stuff.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
why LTE if the new iPhone will be capable of LTE-like speeds, allegedly?

i honestly don't think LTE is that big of a deal if you're on a GSM carrier already. for verizon (and other cdma carriers), yes as it'll give them the speed of the gsm carriers and simultaneous voice & data.

i care more about the features the phone will be getting rather than 3G vs 3.5G vs. 4G and that LTE or LTE-Advanced stuff.

Mainly so that people will have the hardware basis for the iPhone so they don't have to buy the newer model. I look at it as someone buying the original iPhone with EDGE when 3G is becoming readily available.

Yeah, HSPA+ may be capable of LTE speeds , for now.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Mainly so that people will have the hardware basis for the iPhone so they don't have to buy the newer model. I look at it as someone buying the original iPhone with EDGE when 3G is becoming readily available.

Yeah, HSPA+ may be capable of LTE speeds , for now.
then even if the i5 came out with LTE, there wouldn't be a need for you to upgrade then either.

because an i5 with LTE-like speeds wouldn't be any different from an i5 with LTE, right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro