Battery life on 3G Data

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
What are your battery life percentages of your IP4 after a full day being on the 3G network? Can you even survive 9 hours? Any input would be appreciated, because I'm struggling with mine :( Thanks in advanced.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
when you say struggling; what do you mean exactly?

i never turn off 3G and typically go about 16 hours or better, depending on data usage.. obviously

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about the vagueness. I see my battery drain before my eyes. Maybe I'm watching the battery bar too much. Like from 9-5 my battery is around 29% as opposed to when it was on edge I would be around 50%-60%.. Do you have any push exchange accounts running? Because that is amazing battery life with 3G never being turned off, which I feel is the way it should be.

WK446

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
frozinwater: In my experience, I cannot manage a 9 hr day with 3G activated under regular usage. I mean if I was being a complete power miser and basically only making a few calls and answering a few push emails then, "yes, it is possible." However, like many others, I enjoy using my iPhone the way it was designed. :)

I have to switch off my 3G via SBSettings and run in "economy" mode, then switch back into 3G (sport mode) when I require the performance.

I wish my IPH4 could manage the same times as BliNk...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
How much actual use are you getting from the iPhone on 3G?

Mine easily lasts all day with normal use and I never turn 3G off. You should get around 5 hours of actual use from the 3G data transfer. But I'm not loading stuff and using the iPhone for a solid 5 hours a day.

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
How much actual use are you getting from the iPhone on 3G?

Mine easily lasts all day with normal use and I never turn 3G off. You should get around 5 hours of actual use from the 3G data transfer. But I'm not loading stuff and using the iPhone for a solid 5 hours a day.

I'm getting around 4-5 hours a day. To me that is not sufficient enough. Especially when I hear that blink is getting 16 hours a day give or take lol..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Blink: Mophie Juice Pack Plus doesn't count... ;)

haha! please allow me to clarify myself..

i meant that i never turn off 3G and go about my daily activities which include: phone calls through out the day/evening, texts, emails, listening to iPod/Pandora, playing around with Cydia, tweaking my device (at times), whatever push notifications occur and standby of course

16 hours is pretty average before i start looking to charge it

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
haha! please allow me to clarify myself..

i meant that i never turn off 3G and go about my daily activities which include: phone calls through out the day/evening, texts, emails, listening to iPod/Pandora, playing around with Cydia, tweaking my device (at times), whatever push notifications occur and standby of course

16 hours is pretty average before i start looking to charge it

That's ridiculously amazing.. lol.

hoho

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have my brightness down to a bit below half way and usually get 12-15 hours if needed with heavy usage and push enabled.

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You guys must be talking about 12-16 hrs from when you unplug off charge. Other people are talking actual usage on the Usage Indicator on the phone. No way you are getting 12-16 hrs pure usage once the screen is on. I can get 7.5-8 hrs on the usage indicator and i use Edge most of the time with wifi on.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Are you running it BLiNK? Any other power miser app suggestions?

yes, i have been using it for over a year now and it's worth every penny. as far as any other suggestions..

i feel LockInfo has contributed a lot to me saving battery since you can do most things from the lockscreen and can close out quickly

You guys must be talking about 12-16 hrs from when you unplug off charge. Other people are talking actual usage on the Usage Indicator on the phone. No way you are getting 12-16 hrs pure usage once the screen is on. I can get 7.5-8 hrs on the usage indicator and i use Edge most of the time with wifi on.

yes, you are correct. i typically remove my device from the charger at 6:30a and need to charge again around 10:30p-11:30p

it's difficult for me to track my actual usage on the indicator because i respring often and doing it just once resets the process until the next full charge

however, i guess i should be pleased with my battery performance??

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

The usage meter gets reset too easily and then it's no good until I do a full charge again. I charge pretty much when ever on no set schedule. It normally gets fully charged in the evening connected to my laptop and then I don't charge it over night in bed. In the morning at 7:40 I have anywhere from 90-98% battery remaining depending on how much push stuff I got over night etc. If I don't put it in my speaker dock at work by the end of work I am normally down to 40-50% if that. Once home it doesn't matter because it gets connected to my laptop.

I wouldn't worry about the usage meter too much and all that. Get into charging practices that work for you and will get you through the day. A cable to connect to your computer or a speaker dock are also worthy purchases depending on how you work.

Reactions: BLiNK

bab2010

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
dcb58f4a-3a72-56f2.jpg

But not on 3g, totaly on wifi from begaining till the screenshot, 3g is on anyway in the settings but wifi is available so it takes over the 3g.
You can notice an average of 10% bat drop per hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
yes, i have been using it for over a year now and it's worth every penny. as far as any other suggestions..

i feel LockInfo has contributed a lot to me saving battery since you can do most things from the lockscreen and can close out quickly

yes, you are correct. i typically remove my device from the charger at 6:30a and need to charge again around 10:30p-11:30p

it's difficult for me to track my actual usage on the indicator because i respring often and doing it just once resets the process until the next full charge

however, i guess i should be pleased with my battery performance??

What are your settings for screen dimmer..? I want to get optimal performance lol..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
What are your settings for screen dimmer..? I want to get optimal performance lol..

i have everything set at 10 sec, however.. i'm thinking you may have a bug or faulty battery

side note:: a couple of weeks ago i was playing around with my settings and noticed my Location Services was in the ON position..

in sbsettings it was set to OFF and the screen, in settings, before you have the option to turn it ON/OFF--showed it being OFF

the switch itself was in the ON position but nowhere else did it indicate that. WTH?! :confused:

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
i have everything set at 10 sec, however.. i'm thinking you may have a bug or faulty battery

side note:: a couple of weeks ago i was playing around with my settings and noticed my Location Services was in the ON position..

in sbsettings it was set to OFF and the screen, in settings, before you have the option to turn it ON/OFF--showed it being OFF

the switch itself was in the ON position but nowhere else did it indicate that. WTH?! :confused:

My battery I believe is fine, because on EDGE, my phone lasts me. And I've had two devices already that have the same behavior when on 3G. lol the location setting situation is very suspect btw lol.