Can I buy an iphone under contract and gift it?

timpo

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade with Verizon, and I wanted to buy an iPhone4 off of Verizon's website using my upgrade. Once I get the phone, however, I want to give the phone to someone else to activate who is not part of my cell phone plan. Can I do this? Will I avoid signing up for data plan this way? Is there a better way or any hoops I have to jump through to accomplish my goal?

timpo

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not a problem. The upgrade actually belongs to a family member who is content with his free phone that makes calls and occasionally sends short text messages. :)

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade with Verizon, and I wanted to buy an iPhone4 off of Verizon's website using my upgrade. Once I get the phone, however, I want to give the phone to someone else to activate who is not part of my cell phone plan. Can I do this? Will I avoid signing up for data plan this way? Is there a better way or any hoops I have to jump through to accomplish my goal?

I'm not sure you can buy it without activating the data plan. Also, if you use your upgrade, you need to activate it on that line. You could then take it off that line, but you still need to put it on 1st and as such also add data.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure you can buy it without activating the data plan. Also, if you use your upgrade, you need to activate it on that line. You could then take it off that line, but you still need to put it on 1st and as such also add data.

You can buy it without activating the data plan without a problem. You might however run into a problem when the person you are giving it to plugs it into iTunes and it gets activated. What happened to me once was when I, plugged it into itunes, it activated the iPhone with the original purchased phone number. I then had to call verizon and have them change the ESN's around so that the iPhone had the "gifted" number on it.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
this isn't one of those "gifts" that will end up on ebay for $1000 is it? anyone who buys those are complete idiots anyway, lol