From Android to iphone to Android to iphone again.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So I bought a Droid the day it was released, then got an incredible when it was released and have been very happy as I love the google integration and especially the maps app, but then I tried an iphone on VZW and returned it after a day, as I didn't think it fit my needs. At the same time I've been watching my wife with her iphone and seeing everything it does and have been especially impressed with facetime and skype as we've used it often with our kids. I had been convincing myself that the Thunderbolt would solve my problems and be out soon with Skype, but finally after all this nonsense and the garbage that goes on in the boards on Android Central (how many threads do you need with CONFIRMED or here's the date, when no-one including the bloggers know anything) and finally seeing that the Thunderbolt won't have Skype at launch, I went out and repurchased an iphone and will keep it for much longer. I'm giving it a fair shot now and am actually enjoying it more than I did before. It's nice to be completely out of a fanboy mentality and can like a device on its merits rather than what "team" it belongs to. Anyway, I look forward to being here and learning a lot of great stuff about my new phone.

rjdangerous

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Going from android to iphone today, I have the X. Bought my wife the iphone and I like it better than my droidx.

Was thinking about the thunderbolt but it's almost the same as my droidx with a front camera and LTE which is useless because it's not in my area for atleast a year.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Going from android to iphone today, I have the X. Bought my wife the iphone and I like it better than my droidx.

Was thinking about the thunderbolt but it's almost the same as my droidx with a front camera and LTE which is useless because it's not in my area for atleast a year.

I would love to have 4G for tethering, but the other two things I'd use it on: Netflix and Skype, won't even be available on the Thunderbolt. I've decided to hold off on buying any 4G phone until late summmer to see what all is out there. I was really hyped about the TB, but it's pretty clear it's not ready for primetime yet, and it seems the iphone 4 does 95% of what I'd like a phone to do.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I went from the Droid X to the iPhone 4, paid full retail and after a couple weeks I am very happy I made the switch! The iPhone build quality is amazing and iOS is smooth with no lag and very few bugs unlike Android OS.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I would love to have 4G for tethering, but the other two things I'd use it on: Netflix and Skype, won't even be available on the Thunderbolt. I've decided to hold off on buying any 4G phone until late summmer to see what all is out there. I was really hyped about the TB, but it's pretty clear it's not ready for primetime yet, and it seems the iphone 4 does 95% of what I'd like a phone to do.

The thunderbolt is really an EVO on Verizon with a speed bump, new case and LTE instead of wimax.

and with me its the oppiste. Why should I have to go in a bunch of diferent apps just to share something? For example a picture. I just shot a picture, why should I have to go in to Facebook or Flcikr or even my mail app just to send it when I could tap the share icon and share with multiple services. or go in to each of my social networking apps to get contact information? why can't it all be integrated in to the OS? my contact list on my phone has all my contacts accross all my e-mail accounts and even facebook. For duplicates I just link them together to create a single contact card.

Phones should be easy to use right? Hopefully iOS 5 has some sort of intergeneration like that.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The thunderbolt is really an EVO on Verizon with a speed bump, new case and LTE instead of wimax.

and with me its the oppiste. Why should I have to go in a bunch of diferent apps just to share something? For example a picture. I just shot a picture, why should I have to go in to Facebook or Flcikr or even my mail app just to send it when I could tap the share icon and share with multiple services. or go in to each of my social networking apps to get contact information? why can't it all be integrated in to the OS? my contact list on my phone has all my contacts accross all my e-mail accounts and even facebook. For duplicates I just link them together to create a single contact card.

Phones should be easy to use right? Hopefully iOS 5 has some sort of intergeneration like that.

You're right. That's the one thing that bothers me about iOS. On my Droid 2, everything regarding uploads was pretty universal, but not so much on the iPhone. It's something I never noticed on my iPhone 3G, but since I've had it on Android now, I do miss it.

And
lmao.gif
@ "oppiste." Sorry, but that's pretty funny.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You're right. That's the one thing that bothers me about iOS. On my Droid 2, everything regarding uploads was pretty universal, but not so much on the iPhone. It's something I never noticed on my iPhone 3G, but since I've had it on Android now, I do miss it.

And
lmao.gif
@ "oppiste." Sorry, but that's pretty funny.

I miss those same exact things about my droid X too, but the benefits of the iPhone out weigh the benefits of android to me.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I miss those same exact things about my droid X too, but the benefits of the iPhone out weigh the benefits of android to me.

I am new to ip4, also from a DX. Can you please explain in what ways it out weighs these rather nice benefits. I really do love my ip4, but those along with the lack of a good notification system leave me a little confused. How could such a smooth pretty machine not have these items.

So in what ways have you found it to be superior for you?

Thanks luv ;)
H

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am on Day 10 of my 14-day trial with the iPhone. By far, the biggest draw for keeping the ViP4 is the great reception/strong signal, it's much better than the D-Inc. It seems like I flip-flop on a daily basis between keeping the iPhone or going back to my D-Inc. There will be moments when I am ready to reactivate my D-Inc. and then BAM, the iOS reveals some little design element that makes me rethink the entire proposition.

As background, I jailbroke the ViP4 and have customized it almost exactly to my liking. Below are a few things I still miss from the D-Inc.

1.) The elegant, pull-down notification system. I installed LockInfo, but it still has its shortcomings.

2.) "Handcent SMS" - the way it handles txt. msgs. is great. BiteSMS comes close, but there is much more customization avail. with Handcent.

3.) Haptic feedback - I bought the Cydia app, "HapticPro," but it does not compare to having it built-in to the phone's architecture.

4.) How easy it is to add custom ringtones/SMS tones. I used the "OpenSSH" app and learned how to swap out the 6 pre-loaded SMS tones for my own custom tones. In Android it?s so easy to add new ringtones, plus you are not restricted to choosing from only 6 tones.

5.) Attachments in e-mail - iOS does not give you the option of attaching pics/docs when composing an e-mail. Instead, you have to go to ?photos? and have it open the mail program from there. Android let you do this both ways, from the e-mail message as well as from the Photo Gallery.

I?m still leaning towards keeping my ViP4 and will hope/pray that subsequent iOS updates will bring a more elegant notification system as well as more overall customizability??.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
WOW, it really sounds as tho the pro's on your Dinc are out weighing the ip4's.
So you have said what you miss (quite a bit) what do you like better about the ip4?

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
WOW, it really sounds as tho the pro's on your Dinc are out weighing the ip4's.
So you have said what you miss (quite a bit) what do you like better about the ip4?

I find it superior in signal reception, smoothness and doesn't freeze. I JB mine and I will never go back to Android. Yes, I had the X too. Camera and video camera is better too. Apps are more polished than they are for Android. Lockinfo and biteSMS are must have apps though.