Where to Buy the Iphone 4?

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So my contract goes up on March 17th, and i've been on these forums because i am DYING to FINALLY get my iPhone and i am twitching because i can't wait that long. (not literally) but i was wondering what's the difference between buying your iPhone at the Verizon store and buying it from the Apple store. I was going to buy it at the Verizon store because that's where i usually buy my phones and i figure that if i buy it from Apple, that i'd have to bring it to the Verizon store and i can just cut out the middle man and buy it at the Verizon store.

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I assume you mean bring it to the Verizon store to activate it after purchasing at apple? No need to it can be activated by plugging into your iTunes, no need for Verizon at all if you decide to purchase through apple

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well if you buy an iPhone from Apple, how do they hook up your account to it and everything? How do they know you're eligible for an upgrade and all that stuff?

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Well if you buy an iPhone from Apple, how do they hook up your account to it and everything? How do they know you're eligible for an upgrade and all that stuff?

Apple store can access your account by you giving them your phone # (and account password if applicable). They just scan the bar code on the back of the box and that enters the serial number into your Verizon account and now that new iPhone will have your phone #. From there all you have to do is plug it into iTunes but that is true no matter where you buy it form.

Same is true for AT&T.

I prefer Apple stores personally because they know the iPhone better than the VZW employees who have only had access to it for a few weeks.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, both are same actually, so just choose the one closer to you.
"how do they hook up your account to it and everything? How do they know you're eligible for an upgrade and all that stuff?" you can ask the Apple store staff for help ;)

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Here is the million dollar question. If my contract wasn't up for another few days, which store do you think would be more lenient with it?

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So my contract goes up on March 17th, and i've been on these forums because i am DYING to FINALLY get my iPhone and i am twitching because i can't wait that long. (not literally) but i was wondering what's the difference between buying your iPhone at the Verizon store and buying it from the Apple store. I was going to buy it at the Verizon store because that's where i usually buy my phones and i figure that if i buy it from Apple, that i'd have to bring it to the Verizon store and i can just cut out the middle man and buy it at the Verizon store.

Apple can activate your Iphone. They did it for my wife. Same if you go to VZW. I had mine shipped to me and activated via ITunes. So you have several options.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Apple can activate your Iphone. They did it for my wife. Same if you go to VZW. I had mine shipped to me and activated via ITunes. So you have several options.

+1. Go to the Apple Store if it is not too far from you. They are far more knowledgeable about the iPhone than the VZW employees.

Plus, you get to unbox the phone yourself and activate it when you connect to iTunes, instead of having someone else touch/play with your phone first. :cool:

Reactions: moneymike47

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is the million dollar question. If my contract wasn't up for another few days, which store do you think would be more lenient with it?

That really depends on the particular customer service rep that you meet, it's the luck of the draw.

Why don't you try calling VZW Customer Service at 1-800-922-0204 and tell them that you cannot wait until March? I'm sure they would be able to send you the iPhone a few weeks earlier than your eligibility date.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
+1. Go to the Apple Store if it is not too far from you. They are far more knowledgeable about the iPhone than the VZW employees.

Plus, you get to unbox the phone yourself and activate it when you connect to iTunes, instead of having someone else touch/play with your phone first. :cool:

YES! that's the best answer lmaooo. you get a thank for that!! i hate getting a new phone and seeing some sweaty guy play with my touch screen phone and put it to his ear and get his greasy face on my phone.

And do you think Apple would let me get it for 199$ even if my contract isn't fully up yet?

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
YES! that's the best answer lmaooo. you get a thank for that!! i hate getting a new phone and seeing some sweaty guy play with my touch screen phone and put it to his ear and get his greasy face on my phone.

And do you think Apple would let me get it for 199$ even if my contract isn't fully up yet?

The more I think about it, your best bet is to call Verizon Customer Service and be extremely polite/nice with them. Charm them by saying "is there any way that I would be able to buy the iPhone at the promo price a few weeks earlier than my upgrade date?"

Realistically, I think your chances are better than fair that they will allow you to do it. We're almost at the end of Feb., it's ~3 weeks until your upgrade eligibility date.

If they do allow you to purchase one while you're on the phone with them, you're all set. It will be shipped overnight to you via UPS and YOU (not a VZW or Apple employee) can unbox it and activate yourself!

Martog

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Is your contract actually up on that date, or is that your new every two date? Generally they've always been two separate dates, the new every two being about 4 months ahead of the contract, that's the actual eligibility date. If you haven't done so, check https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ss-devices/smartphones/iphone/&token=Zw-RCtm3 and check it there to see if your new every two is currently ready if your contract actually ends next month.

And I had bought a Motorola RAZR in the spring of the year the Storm 1 came out, and I went to a Verizon store, and the manager let me upgrade waaaay early, but I was also buying accessories and what not, trying out the VZ Navigator, tethering, and all that, so they said that's why I could upgrade so early.

Then a year after the Storm comes out I get an e-mail stating that I can upgrade at the subsidized price, and I picked up a Storm 2 right before Christmas. Low and behold, a couple days before Christmas last year I got an e-mail from Verizon saying I could upgrade. I think it has to due with if you have the unlimited voice plan, I could be wrong though. I should be able to snag another subsidized phone Feburary 7th or 8th next year.

Last edited:

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon, customer service and several individual stores, and they said that they generally aloow people to upgrade early for any other phone BUT the iPhone. Which i dont understand why they can let you upgrade early with a droid phone and not an iPhone... it's not like they'll be running out of their supply or anything. And whether i get it now, or in 3 weeks, i AM getting an iPhone, and even if hypothetically they were in short supply, too badd cause i'm getting my phone at the Apple store anyways lmfaooo

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon, customer service and several individual stores, and they said that they generally aloow people to upgrade early for any other phone BUT the iPhone. Which i dont understand why they can let you upgrade early with a droid phone and not an iPhone... it's not like they'll be running out of their supply or anything. And whether i get it now, or in 3 weeks, i AM getting an iPhone, and even if hypothetically they were in short supply, too badd cause i'm getting my phone at the Apple store anyways lmfaooo

They let me upgrade to the ip4 2 weeks early. So maybe it has to do with the rep you speak to. The lady i spoke with said no problem.

Called and ordered on a mon, arrived wed! And i was the first person to touch the screen and get my makeup on it...lol It's a small thing, but it mattered to me.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
They let me upgrade to the ip4 2 weeks early. So maybe it has to do with the rep you speak to. The lady i spoke with said no problem.

Called and ordered on a mon, arrived wed! And i was the first person to touch the screen and get my makeup on it...lol It's a small thing, but it mattered to me.

You called customer service or you called a specific store?

klaudiiia

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My contract ends March 14th so I'm in the same boat as you. I've called VZW multiple times asking if I can upgrade a little earlier and everyone told me no, and that I should ask a store manager. So I did this yesterday and today (2 different VZW stores) and they both told me that they aren't allowed to have anyone upgrade early to the iPhone 4... so I told them I've seen many people upgrade earlier (tiPb) and they still said no and that I have to wait until March 14. :mad: So here I am, counting down the days until I can lay my hands on the iPhone 4.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My contract ends March 14th so I'm in the same boat as you. I've called VZW multiple times asking if I can upgrade a little earlier and everyone told me no, and that I should ask a store manager. So I did this yesterday and today (2 different VZW stores) and they both told me that they aren't allowed to have anyone upgrade early to the iPhone 4... so I told them I've seen many people upgrade earlier (tiPb) and they still said no and that I have to wait until March 14. :mad: So here I am, counting down the days until I can lay my hands on the iPhone 4.

Threaten to abandon ship. Me and my girlfriend have been with Verizon for years and have always remained in good standing. When we told them we were thinking of moving AT&T as we really wanted an ip4, and since they wouldn't allow for an upgrade only 2 weeks early, well that changed things. And we didn't really come off as threatening, just sort or skated around the edges.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Threaten to abandon ship. Me and my girlfriend have been with Verizon for years and have always remained in good standing. When we told them we were thinking of moving AT&T as we really wanted an ip4, and since they wouldn't allow for an upgrade only 2 weeks early, well that changed things. And we didn't really come off as threatening, just sort or skated around the edges.

Don't do that. Most of the time, the rep will call your bluff and transfer you to loyalty. The loyalty department will just prepare to cancel your lines. They might throw a small credit first.

Be polite. Be calm. But remember, every time you call, the rep is writing detailed notes about what you wanted and how they said no. Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh