I found a lost Iphone and would like to activate it. I am sure the ESN will be bad. Is there a way activate it on Verizon?
    02-22-2011 01:57 PM
    You have to call Verizon and verify the ESN. If it is lost, or stolen, you will not be able to add it to your line.

I would be very cautious about how you approach that phone, to be honest.
    02-22-2011 01:59 PM
    I know the esn is bad. Is there any work around?
    02-22-2011 02:05 PM
    If this is a ATT iPhone no you can not add it to Verizon. And vice versa with VZ and ATT. As stated by anaphora68 if it was lost than it was most likely to be reported. Also becareful because iPhones have a GPS tracking device in them where they can technically locate the phone. I believe it has to be activated not sure.
    02-22-2011 02:08 PM
    A bad ESN on a Verizon phone that has only been out a couple of weeks is almost guaranteed to be stolen. Lost is being a bit optimistic lol As previously mentioned, you might want to carefully consider trying to activate that phone - as you might wind up in the middle of something you might wish you hadn't....

Just my opinion...
    02-22-2011 03:58 PM
    There is an app that can tell owners exactly where their iphones are via GPS. You could easily be facing criminal charges if they find it...
    shipwrestler125 likes this.
    02-22-2011 04:04 PM
    I wouldn't touch it seeing how if you try and activate it you can face big penalties. But im sure you knew that unless you stole it from someone thinking you could activate it
    02-22-2011 04:56 PM
    Do the right thing and find the original owner and return it.
    scorpiodsu and jhamilton3 like this.
    02-22-2011 05:00 PM
    So you found a very expensive phone, and, instead of turning it into the police station or something you go to a forum and ask how to activate it?? ******......
    02-22-2011 05:02 PM
    Do the honorable thing and call Verizon and tell them you found an iPhone. They can see which customer the ESN is linked to. There's nothing you can do with the phone anyway if it's a bad esn.
    BlackBerryBiker likes this.
    02-22-2011 05:02 PM
    Just like others have said, you should either turn the phone in or try to call one of the contacts in the phone so that you can help the person get their phone back. They may offer you a reward for its return, but even if they don't, you should do the right thing. Karma's a.....
    02-22-2011 05:36 PM
    So you found a very expensive phone, and, instead of turning it into the police station or something you go to a forum and ask how to activate it?? ******......
    Ha! Couldn't have said it better myself. Do yourself a favor and return it... Actually, do society a favor and activate it so they can find you.
    02-22-2011 06:08 PM
    Karma's a.....
    That is just what I was thinking. Return it, dude. DO THE RIGHT THING!
    02-22-2011 06:24 PM
    Found it at Walmart parking lot a week or so ago. I have left my contact info with customer service and have heard nothing back. The phone must be brand new because there are no contacts.

I assume an insurance claim has been filed on it in whic case it doesn't do the old owner any good either.

I did not consider calling 611 again because i assumed an insurance claim had already been filed.

So with no response at walmart and my assumptions on insurance i thought i could activate.

I found the phone i am not at all concerned about a theft charge.
    02-22-2011 09:23 PM
    Found it at Walmart parking lot a week or so ago. I have left my contact info with customer service and have heard nothing back. The phone must be brand new because there are no contacts.

I assume an insurance claim has been filed on it in whic case it doesn't do the old owner any good either.

I did not consider calling 611 again because i assumed an insurance claim had already been filed.

So with no response at walmart and my assumptions on insurance i thought i could activate.

You did not pay for the phone. Someone else paid for it and owns it and could have reported it stolen. Your assumption about insurance may be incorrect. So you can very easily do the right thing and return it or you are stuck with a worthless brick. Seems pretty simple.
    02-22-2011 10:14 PM

You can say you found it but if the person who lost it comes back looking and they see you used it that is like stealing and you will be in deep **** whether you say you found it or not.
    02-22-2011 10:28 PM
    as i stated i found it in the walmart parking lot.

i returned to the customer service and reported it found there. i left my contact information.

i can't image anywhere else in which i should have reported it.

yes it is a useless brick. now that no one has claimed i was hoping there was some sort of reprogram or hack i could do to get a good esn on it.
    02-22-2011 10:29 PM
    You can say you found it but if the person who lost it comes back looking and they see you used it that is like stealing and you will be in deep **** whether you say you found it or not.
    that will be the day. the law can't punish the real crooks are they really going to punish honest people. i don't think so. well, maybe that's exactly what they would do.
    02-22-2011 10:33 PM
    i guess what it sounds like to me is i have an $800 brick. i will keep it in my junk drawer for a while in hopes that the walmart people call soon. then maybe in august i will throw it in the trash. i can see that this is probably the best option.
    02-22-2011 10:35 PM
    i guess what it sounds like to me is i have an $800 brick. i will keep it in my junk drawer for a while in hopes that the walmart people call soon. then maybe in august i will throw it in the trash. i can see that this is probably the best option.
    Or perhaps you could do due diligence or simply dispose of the lost item properly by bringing it into a police station.

That's what any responsible adult would do, er, law abiding citizen.

Maybe someone else could or has already chimed in here, but by holding the phone, you could be criminally liable by holding lost goods, or one could construe it as possessing stolen goods.

Turn it into a police station.
    02-22-2011 10:42 PM
    Here's the rule with Verizon. Once an ESN is reported as lost, or stolen, you cannot activate that ESN.

There is no legal way to activate that phone on Verizon. It is entirely illegal to reprogram a phone with a different ESN. Also, if Verizon catches you doing this, you can land yourself in some serious hot water.
    02-24-2011 05:38 AM
    Ultimately, you won't find the answer you WANT here. Your speaking with a community of iPhone users and many of us stayed up on pre order day and paid good money for our iPhones. Even if we knew a way to cheat the system do you think we'd tell a cheap schmuck like you how to do it?
    02-24-2011 07:41 AM
    If you find something on Walmart property and bring it to their attention, you dont leave with that item. They keep it there...
    LOL...I was thinking the same thing. I think the answer we were all looking for was in his/her last response - looking for a "hack" to get the phone activated.

I'm proud of most of the responses on here - a stolen iPhone - there but for the Grace of God goes my phone
    02-24-2011 08:26 AM
    Do the honorable thing and call Verizon and tell them you found an iPhone. They can see which customer the ESN is linked to. There's nothing you can do with the phone anyway if it's a bad esn.
    Exactly....You know what they say about Karma!!!
    02-24-2011 11:40 AM
    Or perhaps you could do due diligence or simply dispose of the lost item properly by bringing it into a police station.

That's what any responsible adult would do, er, law abiding citizen.

Maybe someone else could or has already chimed in here, but by holding the phone, you could be criminally liable by holding lost goods, or one could construe it as possessing stolen goods.

Turn it into a police station.

Not that I agree with him keeping it, but honestly, we dont do anything with it either, unless a police report is filed. If no report is filed, it sits in LaF bin waiting for 45 days before its burned or thrown out. Most people dont file cases on phones. We are lucky if we get 1-2 a year. Best case scenario would have been to leave it at the BigBox store.
    02-24-2011 01:50 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD