Does anyone know if the Verizon iPhone will allow for International calling on Skype back to the USA if you are traveling Internationally?

Also, will the iPhone on Verizon's network even work International in most locations without the GSM chip?

Thanks!
    02-21-2011 11:14 AM
    Verizon iPhone is NOT a global phone, hence no sim card. My S1 is a quad-band phone with a sim card and works flawlessly in South america when I went skiing. When in South America, the Skype app would not allow for me to make phone calls on my S1 because it said that the Skype app can only be used while on the Verizon Network and I was currently using Vodafones Network.
    02-21-2011 11:18 AM
    Verizon iPhone is NOT a global phone, hence no sim card. My S1 is a quad-band phone with a sim card and works flawlessly in South america when I went skiing. When in South America, the Skype app would not allow for me to make phone calls on my S1 because it said that the Skype app can only be used while on the Verizon Network and I was currently using Vodafones Network.
    Thanks. I know it is not a Global phone (I had a Blackberry 9550 previously which had the added SIM card). However, a lot of the Caribbean and other International locations now also work CDMA. I think the main point in your response that helped was that even if you are able to make calls or connect on Verizon's iPhone, Skype will not work when calling from International because you are not actually on Verizon's network.

Is that correct?
    02-21-2011 11:46 AM
    Thanks. I know it is not a Global phone (I had a Blackberry 9550 previously which had the added SIM card). However, a lot of the Caribbean and other International locations now also work CDMA. I think the main point in your response that helped was that even if you are able to make calls or connect on Verizon's iPhone, Skype will not work when calling from International because you are not actually on Verizon's network.

Is that correct?
    yes it is. On my S1 Skype would not work on another network other than Verizon's. Then again the Skype app was also very limited in that it would only allow for talking and no video calls since there was no FFC and when a call would come in it would just say Skype Call but not ID the caller which I also thought was pretty crappy not knowing who's call your'e answering. The iPhone Skype app is much more robust so not sure if it works the same as the S1 app internationally on the AT&T iPhone. When I called Verizon about using my iPhone globally they told me that you couldn't use it anywhere internationally and that I would have to activate my S1 if I was travelling abroad but told me to call back for data rate plans since they overhauled all of their data plans back in January. I was pretty bummed about this news
    02-21-2011 12:06 PM
    Wouldn't it work in some Asian countries with CDMA networks? I plan to take mine to Europe since I'll have frequent wifi access. I think you could make Skype call over wifi. Still lighter than taking a laptop or iPad along.
    02-21-2011 12:09 PM
    Wouldn't it work in some Asian countries with CDMA networks? I plan to take mine to Europe since I'll have frequent wifi access. I think you could make Skype call over wifi. Still lighter than taking a laptop or iPad along.
    According to the Verizon Website the Verizon iPhone will work anywhere there is CDMA access. It actually seems that most places have CDMA now but I guess I will need to find out when I go. Worse case I f=do have the Global Hot Spot and could always run the phone through WiFi.
    02-21-2011 02:06 PM
    Verizon does have limited functionality in a few other countries.

Customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, [see] International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When traveling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when traveling internationally.

However, besides the exorbitant costs, this pales in comparison to the 220 countries GSM has access to. I would recommend wifi for any data access.
    02-21-2011 08:58 PM
    Can't you use wi-fi even if you are in GSM territory? If so, you could facetime back to the states, right?
    02-22-2011 10:18 AM
    Can't you use wi-fi even if you are in GSM territory? If so, you could facetime back to the states, right?
    that sounds like it would work, even tango would work as well then
    02-22-2011 11:29 AM
    It should. My kids did it with their phones in Mexico win Airplane mode.
    02-22-2011 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD