Verizon iPhone 4 Out of the Box defective

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I just purchased the 16Gb version. I am a first time Apple user.

Just after opening it, it won't even turn on, just to activate it. I even connect it to the USB computer and nothing happens. I thought, "hey maybe it came with a dead battery" which shouldn;t, I mean I have been watching youtube videos on "Verizon iPhone 4 unboxing" and all of them were able to turn on out of the box. What's wrong with mine? I also tried connecting to the AC outlet, nothing happens. I will have to drive hours and waste gas to go back to Best Buy and return it. I think i will switch to a BlackBerry instead, never failed on me for 2 years.

I tried hard reset as well, not working. I would understand after using it and all that, but right out of the box? It is a disappointment with Apple. What a first impression..horrible.

Anybody else has had this issue with the Verizon iPhone 4 purchased at Best Buy or anywhere else?

Thank you for your help guys.

glitzymama

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Even though 99% of the time there is usually a speck of power left on the battery, almost all battery powered devices tell you to charge it up before doing anything. It could just be you have that rare device that actually needs to be charged up a little before you can do anything. If I let the power drain completely, I have to allow the battery to charge up for a little before I can even perform a basic function, even if it's plugged in. I say to follow BusyMe's advice and plug it in to your computer or to the wall and let it charge for a little before you try to perform any function.

Martog

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It does sound like you got a dead phone, which is unfortunate. However, just because you have a DoA does not mean it is unreliable or anything compared to other phones, I know others can be DoA as well. I'm sure some employee has tried activating a phone and it won't turn on it at all, at that point they just get another. You just happen to take it with you to activate it yourself.

When an iPhone or iPod Touch has a completely drained battery, when you plug it in, the screen will turn on and the battery indicator will display a depleted battery. Once it has sufficient charge, the device will actually boot up. If you are not even getting the screen to turn on to display this, it sounds like a faulty phone. Like with any electronic device out there, you have a chance at receiving a faulty unit.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
yea plug it in for a few hours to see if the device powers on sometimes when the battery is so dead they have to be charged for a while before they become active. but it is possible yours is defective which can happen with any manufacturer i have never had issues with apple and my blackberries were always hit or miss. but if you really wanted this device try and give it another shot.

cmpdblue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It does sound like you got a dead phone, which is unfortunate. However, just because you have a DoA does not mean it is unreliable or anything compared to other phones, I know others can be DoA as well. I'm sure some employee has tried activating a phone and it won't turn on it at all, at that point they just get another. You just happen to take it with you to activate it yourself.

When an iPhone or iPod Touch has a completely drained battery, when you plug it in, the screen will turn on and the battery indicator will display a depleted battery. Once it has sufficient charge, the device will actually boot up. If you are not even getting the screen to turn on to display this, it sounds like a faulty phone. Like with any electronic device out there, you have a chance at receiving a faulty unit.

Yeah, unfortunately, my guess is you got a bad unit. I'm a newly converted-from-blackberry-iphone user as well :) But like any other mass produced electronic device, there is always a fault percentage - a small number of devices simply won't work properly. Don't blame Best Buy - or Apple for that matter....just the cost of mass production.

However, if you complain to Best Buy, they might just throw in a little extra something - case or screen protector, perhaps - for your troubles.

Good luck !!!

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you try plugging it in to your computer and opening iTunes?

Hi, yes I tried that...nothing happens. :(

The thing is I know for sure that these phones come with some charged battery already. I have been watching tons of videos on YouTube of people unboxing this Verizon model, and they turn on right out of the box.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Even though 99% of the time there is usually a speck of power left on the battery, almost all battery powered devices tell you to charge it up before doing anything. It could just be you have that rare device that actually needs to be charged up a little before you can do anything. If I let the power drain completely, I have to allow the battery to charge up for a little before I can even perform a basic function, even if it's plugged in. I say to follow BusyMe's advice and plug it in to your computer or to the wall and let it charge for a little before you try to perform any function.

I left it charging as well...nothing happens. It is very frustrating. Nothing happens.

Thank you for your help

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

That's what I mean, something should come up... I plug it in to the computer...nothing happens. I plug it in to the AC outlet, nothing happens. Odd. I am new to Apple but I have been observing people around with the Verizon iPhones and other Apple devices...and they are very well built. I guess I did get a lemon.

Thank you for your answer

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
yea plug it in for a few hours to see if the device powers on sometimes when the battery is so dead they have to be charged for a while before they become active. but it is possible yours is defective which can happen with any manufacturer i have never had issues with apple and my blackberries were always hit or miss. but if you really wanted this device try and give it another shot.

Yes I have been with Blackberry and always reliable. However, I really wanted to try an iPhone this time and boy, am I upset about the issue.

I will give it another try, I called Best Buy and they will replace it, obviously, since I just bought it...but it's still a pain not having a phone or a backup to use. I can't go there until Wednesday and I have to drive hours to the store.

I simply never expected it coming from Apple, everybody is always "Apple is great" and this and that, and hey I thought, I am gonna give it a try, I bet it is that good...hahaha and then voila! There you go, a lemon instead of an Apple. Not good. Hopefully the new one will be flawless.

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately, my guess is you got a bad unit. I'm a newly converted-from-blackberry-iphone user as well :) But like any other mass produced electronic device, there is always a fault percentage - a small number of devices simply won't work properly. Don't blame Best Buy - or Apple for that matter....just the cost of mass production.

However, if you complain to Best Buy, they might just throw in a little extra something - case or screen protector, perhaps - for your troubles.

Good luck !!!

Hahahah, that's for sure. I am just frustrated. But yeah, for one I have to get my Reward Zone discount, I have $10 worth in discount they did not want to give me towards the iPhone because their Reward Zone program is "down for maintenance". Go figure. They will give it to me this time, plus some case or something. I mean come on! Waste of gas, waste of time, and waste of everything. At least I am venting here with you guys...I appreciate that haha.

If after all this, they give me a good unit, and throw in a case and give me the $10 discount that they should have given me in the first place, I will be happy to have switched to Apple.

Thank you for your support

dejagood

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
well my experience with Best Buy in the past has been crappy. My husband and I was there seriously for 3 hours when he got his Droid Incredible. The salesclerk was trying to activate this one phone and wouldn't take the advice from a fellow salesperson to switch phones...well FINALLY in the 3rd hour, he switched and it was a faulty unit! go figure!

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Apple is great. Their products are awesome. But there where always be faulty products rather it's apple or blackberry or android or tv sets play stations computers etc. It's a fact of life. Just because you got that faulty product, doesn't mean the company is any less reliable or the product. It means you got a defect. Certainly it does suck having to drive all that way, but to say the phone is unreliable because it came defective out of the box is not right. I bet if you were to find the numbers somewhere, if their out there, of how many DOA iPhones are out there compared to how many have came just fine and the way they should be, you would agree that you just found the needle in a haystack

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple is great. Their products are awesome. But there where always be faulty products rather it's apple or blackberry or android or tv sets play stations computers etc. It's a fact of life. Just because you got that faulty product, doesn't mean the company is any less reliable or the product. It means you got a defect. Certainly it does suck having to drive all that way, but to say the phone is unreliable because it came defective out of the box is not right. I bet if you were to find the numbers somewhere, if their out there, of how many DOA iPhones are out there compared to how many have came just fine and the way they should be, you would agree that you just found the needle in a haystack

Hope you are right Jason, I always thought the same about Apple. Now I hope after this bad experience, it does not happen again. If that needle I found in the haystack becomes 2 needles, I will seriously have my doubts. Until then, let's try the new unit and see how it goes.

I have no idea about statistics on this matter, but I always read and heard Apple products are some of the best out there, seriously. Perhaps somebody can find some non biased statistics for us, I doubt they are out there though.

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
well my experience with Best Buy in the past has been crappy. My husband and I was there seriously for 3 hours when he got his Droid Incredible. The salesclerk was trying to activate this one phone and wouldn't take the advice from a fellow salesperson to switch phones...well FINALLY in the 3rd hour, he switched and it was a faulty unit! go figure!

They took more than 1 hour just to sell me one phone with only 2 people in front of me. We did not even open it there, thus why I noticed it when I opened it at home. They activated it on the computer...the guy was all busy and nervous cause he had very busy day I suppose...I swear I was watching the box all the time in case they dropped it or something, because they were moving like wobble heads around the store, with my phone everywhere, from the table, to their hands, next to their bodies almost dropping it, switching to a different spot on the table...didn't happen, so I guess it is just a defective unit itself. Not a very good experience though with Best Buy, although the guy was polite, but not professional at all. Reminds me of Verizon itself.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
My 16GB died for no particularly good reason out of the blue. It was 3 days old. VZW swapped it out for a new one and they were as confused as I was I was over the possible cause. New one seems to be fine, all good now. Sync with iTunes frequently. And the cloud is your friend! Dropbox anyone? Saved my bacon already once. So hardware failures DO happen. Relax they'll fix it and it'll be all better.

Reactions: trends