Went to BB to purchase an iPhone on launch day, but the BB Mobile manager told me that the Thunderbolt was coming out last Monday and if it were him he would wait. No TB on Monday and now i hear it is delayed till the und of the month or into March. Wanted to compare the two side by side. Having a Blackberry Storm2 that I can't stand any longer is making this a long brutal wait! My question is that I love my iPad and my iMac, but I use my Storm 95% for business- emails, phone, texts, and am not sure I can live with the iOS notifications or the lack thereof. So for you business users is it a great business device or is the android os better suited for my needs? Also I'm not crazy about buying old technology( iPhone 4).

Help!

Ps not sure if jail breaking is for me as I don't want to constantly be tinkering with it and also taking the chance that it won't be a stable os that is supported if I have a problem.
    02-20-2011 09:04 PM
    Sounds like you answered your own question.
    02-20-2011 10:04 PM
    Sounds like you answered your own question.
    Not really.
    02-20-2011 11:11 PM
    In your situation I would wait and compare the two. I came from the EVO which is just like the TB and I swore I'd never go back to Apple, which I lied. The iOS is far too refined vs Android at the time for MY tastes. I once had a BB Storm and did like it until I tried iOS and Android. One of these will definitely be your next platform. If you like notifications and the ability to customize from stock, I say android. Just try them out for yourself and see..best and only way to be sure. I'll never go back to BB though.
    02-20-2011 11:18 PM
    yeah pretty much you said you cant live with the IOS notifications but with android you have to live with fragmentation with no guarantee of an update, most likely awful battery life since HTC is known to be terrible with battery life, what exactly are you looking for? The iphone has a nicer screen, is smaller,great battery life. it all depends on what you are looking for I mean if all you do is check email, text, and use the phone I would say go with the iphone since android is more open it allows you to mess around with it more but since you dont want to jailbreak you wont want to root then with the HTC
    02-20-2011 11:20 PM
    Well I'm one of those guys, I love both Apple and Android. I currently have an EVO and will be getting an ViPhone tomorrow. Don't fool yourself into thinking the Thunderbolt is really new tech. It is really an EVO with on verizon with some more memory. Same screen, same processor and camera. It's a slightly updated EVO. Either way you win both are good solid phones. You will get much better battery life out of the iPhone and a beautiful screen that almost makes up for the small size.

Business wise the iPhone will be more dependable, quicker and easier to operate. It is natively easier to save files on an Android if you need to store and view file on your new phone.

Also a quick jailbrake will give you the notifications you need with little fuss. Android gives you many options out of the box in that regard so keep that in mind.

Both are fun and a joy to use. Try them both, read more and talk to friends and family. And avoid fanboys, they will steer you to their side without an objective thought. LOL
    Last edited by verks; 02-21-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    02-21-2011 12:09 AM
    I don't like to choose... so I buy them all. I'm currently enjoying my Focus (wp7), i4 (iOS), and BlackBerry. I have a Nexus One (Android), but can't stand the responsiveness of the screen and will probably get the Atrix Tuesday.
    02-21-2011 12:35 AM
    I don't like to choose... so I buy them all. I'm currently enjoying my Focus (wp7), i4 (iOS), and BlackBerry. I have a Nexus One (Android), but can't stand the responsiveness of the screen and will probably get the Atrix Tuesday.
    Wow, that's a lot of phones. How many lines do you have? Or are you switching just one SIM between four phones?

And nice, I would get the Atrix too if I could.
    02-21-2011 12:42 AM
    Ha, that's my kind of guy. I haven't had a phone longer in my life then the EVO I have now. I've had iPhones, WM, Android, Palm you name it. Now that the big Red has the iPhone tomorrow I'll be on board. EVO v iPhone I'll see which one stays in my hand the longest.
    02-21-2011 01:04 AM
    Thanks for all of your help, some great points. Based on what was said, I will be getting the iPhone in the next couple of days and will try it out and report back. If I'm on the fence after using it, I guess I will just return it and wait for theTB. Thanks again for the help.
    02-21-2011 09:03 AM
    WOW!!! LOL And I thought I was multi-tasking keeping up with my 2 phones

Anyway, I also came from a Storm 2. BB owns the market on email push and notifications. If that is a deal breaker for you, then I think you should stay with BB. The Storm 3 should be out soon, which offers some good specs.

On the other hand, I am slowly getting used to the iOS notifications and the push of the iPhone. Not what I'm used to, but not bad either. It's certainly a solid device with a solid OS. Of course, the ultimate decision is yours to make. You'll still have your 14 days to return the iPhone if you decide to give it a try.
    02-21-2011 09:13 AM
    WOW!!! LOL And I thought I was multi-tasking keeping up with my 2 phones

Anyway, I also came from a Storm 2. BB owns the market on email push and notifications. If that is a deal breaker for you, then I think you should stay with BB. The Storm 3 should be out soon, which offers some good specs.

On the other hand, I am slowly getting used to the iOS notifications and the push of the iPhone. Not what I'm used to, but not bad either. It's certainly a solid device with a solid OS. Of course, the ultimate decision is yours to make. You'll still have your 14 days to return the iPhone if you decide to give it a try.
    I just came from the Blackberry Storm 2 (MANY Blackberry previous to that also). I was looking at the Thunderbolt and iPhone too and decided to go with the iPhone for a couple reasons:
    1. Support - The Customer support with Apple has been great with all my other Apple products. Not the same with the Blackberry and have heard off and on about support issues with Android. The hard part with the Android is the lack of documentation and support from Google on lot's of the software.
    2. All in one - Personally it seemed to be easier to link with everything I was currently using for Business/Home with the apple then the Android phones.

I was holding back at first based on the same as the OP's comment about purchasing old technology. Although, it seems that the one plus is the amount of testing and lack of bugs you see in the software (both iOS and Apps).
    02-21-2011 02:19 PM
    lol Best answer.
    02-21-2011 02:37 PM
    Thanks for all of your help, some great points. Based on what was said, I will be getting the iPhone in the next couple of days and will try it out and report back. If I'm on the fence after using it, I guess I will just return it and wait for theTB. Thanks again for the help.
    Why not just wait for the TB to come out then you can both. I'd buy one, try it for a week, then if I didn't dig it I'd take it back for the other. If you liked the first one better, you could just take the second back and get the first. Pretty sure you can return any phone within the first 15 days...better make sure about the second though before going through with it.

Personally, the lack of notifications and no widgets keeps me happy with my Incredible.
    02-21-2011 04:02 PM
    Why not just wait for the TB to come out then you can both. I'd buy one, try it for a week, then if I didn't dig it I'd take it back for the other. If you liked the first one better, you could just take the second back and get the first. Pretty sure you can return any phone within the first 15 days...better make sure about the second though before going through with it.

Personally, the lack of notifications and no widgets keeps me happy with my Incredible.
    No if you get the iphone and take it back and get the tb you are stuck with that phone you cant go back to the iphone. You are only allowed 1 return.
    02-21-2011 07:11 PM
    With Verizon there is also a 30.00 restocking fee.
    02-21-2011 07:13 PM
    With Verizon there is also a 30.00 restocking fee.
    its a $35.00 restocking fee not 30
    02-21-2011 08:43 PM
    its a $35.00 restocking fee not 30

Hmmm. I was just at the Verizon store yesterday and got a phone for my son. The guy behind the desk said it was 30.00 to restock if he wanted a different phone. Either way, 30 or 35, I think it a crime to charge to exchange a phone.
    02-21-2011 08:49 PM
    Ok ok, so not my best idea ever but I do have a solution.

Get the TB, customize it the way you want, change your email tone without having to root (jailbreak), enjoy all the widgets.......and I'm outta here!!! LOL!!!
    02-21-2011 09:36 PM
    Hmmm. I was just at the Verizon store yesterday and got a phone for my son. The guy behind the desk said it was 30.00 to restock if he wanted a different phone. Either way, 30 or 35, I think it a crime to charge to exchange a phone.
    Well they have to make some money since they can no longer sell the phone as brand new.
    Jf15 likes this.
    02-21-2011 10:09 PM
    I'm still on the fence as to whether I should keep the ViP4 or return it and wait for the upcoming 4G LTE phones from HTC, Samsung and LG.

Below are my impressions after having used the Verizon iPhone4 for a full 7 days.

As background, I switched from a Droid Incredible (had it since Launch Day, 4/2010) and am a big fan of the Android OS. I jailbroke my ViP4 to customize it as close to the way I had my Incredible set up.

Verizon iPhone 4 Pros:
    1. Battery Life - talking/texting/e-mailing for a full day is no prob.
    2. Beautiful design - it feels like a high-end, luxury watch
    3. FaceTime - works great, seamless operation
    4. Better reception on the iPhone. There are numerous areas in my neighborhood where my Incredible had a very weak signal. The iPhone delivers clear calls that do not drop out. Calls connect much faster to the network than the Inc.
    5. Truly delivers the overall Apple experience - I have been a longtime user of MAC computers and love the little touches built-in to the iPhone. For instance, the "woosh" jet fighter tone that alerts you that an e-mail has been sent successfully.
    6. The sheer volume of apps - no contest vs. Android Market. Plus, the apps work seamlessly with the OS.

Droid Incredible Pros:
    1. Ability to swap in another battery
    2. Browser/Flash support - web-browsing experience is great
    3. Snapdragon processor is very fast; response is very snappy
    4. Widgets
    5. The Google Suite of applications - integrated maps/navigation (best avail., hands down), threaded messages capability if you use Gmail.
    6. LED notification light
    7. Ability to customize just about every setting on the phone
    8. Live wallpapers - a novelty, but still fun nevertheless
    9. Adding attachments to e-mail messages are much easier with the Android OS.

Verizon iPhone4 Cons:
    1.) I miss the haptic feedback (keys that vibrate when pressed) on my Incredible. It really helps when typing on a touch screen. There is a jailbreak app called "Haptic Pro," which I installed, but it's not the same as having it built-in from the factory.
    2.) The iPhone is a bit heavier, ~0.6g heavier than the Inc.
    3.) The iPhone's vibrate motor is much weaker than the Inc.
    4.) It may be a minor thing for most people, but I really like/miss the optical joystick on the Inc., it allows you to precisely navigate to the spot you want when typing/editing.
    5.) Jailbreaking and downloading apps to customize the phone is time-consuming. Many of the notification options (custom ringtones, SMS alerts, e-mail tones) are easily customizable right out of the box with an Android phone.

These are just initial observations from someone who is a big fan of the Android OS. However, I am leaning towards keeping my iPhone because the reception/signal strength is so much better (at least in my area) than my Inc.

I will continue to put the iPhone through its paces for 6 more days before deciding whether to keep or return. I really want to love it because of the seamless integration with my other Apple devices......
    02-22-2011 12:08 AM
    Wow, that's a lot of phones. How many lines do you have? Or are you switching just one SIM between four phones?

And nice, I would get the Atrix too if I could.
    I have 4 lines now. Had 3, but was doing my buddy a favor by opening a new line. Besides, can't beat a Walmart price match @ $129 + some accessories

The BB & iPhone always have a line and I normally have the 3rd line for one of the other devices. The remaining devices, I'll use wifi for data.
    02-23-2011 02:38 AM
    lol Best answer.
    haha! what's up bro, you've been ghost on me. getting/got the atrix?
    02-23-2011 02:40 AM
    Be careful with the Thunderbolt because I myself was having the same problem. I didn't know if i wanted the iPhone or the Thunderbolt, and the only main reason i would have gotten the Thunderbolt is because of the 4G. HOWEVER, unless you live in a main city, 4G won't be available in your area, you'll Thunderbolt will just be running off 3G. I mean, you can buy the Thunderbolt and hope that 4G will be in your area soon, look on the Verizon website to see if you're in the coverage area. Then again, even with the Thunderbolt on 3G, it still has a faster processor if you're into all that tech talk. I suggest going on You Tube and looking up "iPhone vs. Thunderbolt" and watching the differences.
    02-23-2011 12:00 PM
    haha! what's up bro, you've been ghost on me. getting/got the atrix?
    What's up bro. I changed my Gmail address on Gtalk. I think I have your email
    still saved. I can't get the Atrix because I ended up switching to Verizon at the
    end of last year. But I got my Android fix a few months with an X. But the i4
    was the bread and butter for me.
    02-23-2011 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD