V iPhone or Thunderbolt

Reguru#AC

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Went to BB to purchase an iPhone on launch day, but the BB Mobile manager told me that the Thunderbolt was coming out last Monday and if it were him he would wait. No TB on Monday and now i hear it is delayed till the und of the month or into March. Wanted to compare the two side by side. Having a Blackberry Storm2 that I can't stand any longer is making this a long brutal wait! My question is that I love my iPad and my iMac, but I use my Storm 95% for business- emails, phone, texts, and am not sure I can live with the iOS notifications or the lack thereof. So for you business users is it a great business device or is the android os better suited for my needs? Also I'm not crazy about buying old technology( iPhone 4).

Help!

Ps not sure if jail breaking is for me as I don't want to constantly be tinkering with it and also taking the chance that it won't be a stable os that is supported if I have a problem.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
In your situation I would wait and compare the two. I came from the EVO which is just like the TB and I swore I'd never go back to Apple, which I lied. The iOS is far too refined vs Android at the time for MY tastes. I once had a BB Storm and did like it until I tried iOS and Android. One of these will definitely be your next platform. If you like notifications and the ability to customize from stock, I say android. Just try them out for yourself and see..best and only way to be sure. I'll never go back to BB though.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
yeah pretty much you said you cant live with the IOS notifications but with android you have to live with fragmentation with no guarantee of an update, most likely awful battery life since HTC is known to be terrible with battery life, what exactly are you looking for? The iphone has a nicer screen, is smaller,great battery life. it all depends on what you are looking for I mean if all you do is check email, text, and use the phone I would say go with the iphone since android is more open it allows you to mess around with it more but since you dont want to jailbreak you wont want to root then with the HTC

verks

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
Well I'm one of those guys, I love both Apple and Android. I currently have an EVO and will be getting an ViPhone tomorrow. Don't fool yourself into thinking the Thunderbolt is really new tech. It is really an EVO with on verizon with some more memory. Same screen, same processor and camera. It's a slightly updated EVO. Either way you win both are good solid phones. You will get much better battery life out of the iPhone and a beautiful screen that almost makes up for the small size.

Business wise the iPhone will be more dependable, quicker and easier to operate. It is natively easier to save files on an Android if you need to store and view file on your new phone.

Also a quick jailbrake will give you the notifications you need with little fuss. Android gives you many options out of the box in that regard so keep that in mind.

Both are fun and a joy to use. Try them both, read more and talk to friends and family. And avoid fanboys, they will steer you to their side without an objective thought. LOL

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I don't like to choose... so I buy them all. I'm currently enjoying my Focus (wp7), i4 (iOS), and BlackBerry. I have a Nexus One (Android), but can't stand the responsiveness of the screen and will probably get the Atrix Tuesday.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't like to choose... so I buy them all. I'm currently enjoying my Focus (wp7), i4 (iOS), and BlackBerry. I have a Nexus One (Android), but can't stand the responsiveness of the screen and will probably get the Atrix Tuesday.

Wow, that's a lot of phones. How many lines do you have? Or are you switching just one SIM between four phones?

And nice, I would get the Atrix too if I could.

verks

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site

Ha, that's my kind of guy. I haven't had a phone longer in my life then the EVO I have now. I've had iPhones, WM, Android, Palm you name it. Now that the big Red has the iPhone tomorrow I'll be on board. EVO v iPhone I'll see which one stays in my hand the longest.

Reguru#AC

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of your help, some great points. Based on what was said, I will be getting the iPhone in the next couple of days and will try it out and report back. If I'm on the fence after using it, I guess I will just return it and wait for theTB. Thanks again for the help.

cmpdblue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

WOW!!! LOL And I thought I was multi-tasking keeping up with my 2 phones :D

Anyway, I also came from a Storm 2. BB owns the market on email push and notifications. If that is a deal breaker for you, then I think you should stay with BB. The Storm 3 should be out soon, which offers some good specs.

On the other hand, I am slowly getting used to the iOS notifications and the push of the iPhone. Not what I'm used to, but not bad either. It's certainly a solid device with a solid OS. Of course, the ultimate decision is yours to make. You'll still have your 14 days to return the iPhone if you decide to give it a try.

asggold

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
WOW!!! LOL And I thought I was multi-tasking keeping up with my 2 phones :D

Anyway, I also came from a Storm 2. BB owns the market on email push and notifications. If that is a deal breaker for you, then I think you should stay with BB. The Storm 3 should be out soon, which offers some good specs.

On the other hand, I am slowly getting used to the iOS notifications and the push of the iPhone. Not what I'm used to, but not bad either. It's certainly a solid device with a solid OS. Of course, the ultimate decision is yours to make. You'll still have your 14 days to return the iPhone if you decide to give it a try.

I just came from the Blackberry Storm 2 (MANY Blackberry previous to that also). I was looking at the Thunderbolt and iPhone too and decided to go with the iPhone for a couple reasons:
1. Support - The Customer support with Apple has been great with all my other Apple products. Not the same with the Blackberry and have heard off and on about support issues with Android. The hard part with the Android is the lack of documentation and support from Google on lot's of the software.
2. All in one - Personally it seemed to be easier to link with everything I was currently using for Business/Home with the apple then the Android phones.

I was holding back at first based on the same as the OP's comment about purchasing old technology. Although, it seems that the one plus is the amount of testing and lack of bugs you see in the software (both iOS and Apps).

wanda#IM

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of your help, some great points. Based on what was said, I will be getting the iPhone in the next couple of days and will try it out and report back. If I'm on the fence after using it, I guess I will just return it and wait for theTB. Thanks again for the help.

Why not just wait for the TB to come out then you can both. I'd buy one, try it for a week, then if I didn't dig it I'd take it back for the other. If you liked the first one better, you could just take the second back and get the first. Pretty sure you can return any phone within the first 15 days...better make sure about the second though before going through with it.

Personally, the lack of notifications and no widgets keeps me happy with my Incredible.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Why not just wait for the TB to come out then you can both. I'd buy one, try it for a week, then if I didn't dig it I'd take it back for the other. If you liked the first one better, you could just take the second back and get the first. Pretty sure you can return any phone within the first 15 days...better make sure about the second though before going through with it.

Personally, the lack of notifications and no widgets keeps me happy with my Incredible.

No if you get the iphone and take it back and get the tb you are stuck with that phone you cant go back to the iphone. You are only allowed 1 return.

Elaine5006

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

With Verizon there is also a 30.00 restocking fee.

wanda#IM

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok ok, so not my best idea ever but I do have a solution.

Get the TB, customize it the way you want, change your email tone without having to root (jailbreak), enjoy all the widgets.......and I'm outta here!!! LOL!!!

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. I was just at the Verizon store yesterday and got a phone for my son. The guy behind the desk said it was 30.00 to restock if he wanted a different phone. Either way, 30 or 35, I think it a crime to charge to exchange a phone.

Well they have to make some money since they can no longer sell the phone as brand new.

Reactions: Jf15

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2