Best Buy Mobile

madams07

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I was looking to purchase my verizon iphone from best buy because this week they are offering the buy back program for free. But what is best buy mobile? how does it compare to going to the verizon retail store, how it may affect my plan, insurance, etc. and really any other info you may know. I just feel like there's a catch since it's a 3rd party...help!?

Mk4Jetta

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The buyback program they have is a joke, I would buy from apple or Verizon. You can just sell your phone on eBay or craigslist for more than what bestbuy will give you.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
+1 For the buyback program being a joke...Well atleast for phones. If you take care of you phone it has a pretty high resale value especially a iPhone. For a tv, or something big with a lower resale value, it may be good, but with the iPhone there is really no advantages of buying thru Best Buy unless you are looking to buy their black tie protection. If it were me I would buy it straight from Apple.

hh72385

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine from best buy because verizon and the local apple store were out of 16g. Transaction went smoothly, was in and out of the store in around 10 mins. Nothing on my account changed or anything. The phone showed up instantly on my verizon online all I had to do is activate it on itunes and end of story.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was looking to purchase my verizon iphone from best buy because this week they are offering the buy back program for free. But what is best buy mobile? how does it compare to going to the verizon retail store, how it may affect my plan, insurance, etc. and really any other info you may know. I just feel like there's a catch since it's a 3rd party...help!?

When you are ready to get rid of it, let me know. I'll pay you more then they will. Best Buy trade in program is for uneducated or lazy people. And if they make you pay something (you said it was free, but I think that's a promo and they will charge for this eventually) that is the biggest rip off ever.

Reguru#AC

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
When you are ready to get rid of it, let me know. I'll pay you more then they will. Best Buy trade in program is for uneducated or lazy people. And if they make you pay something (you said it was free, but I think that's a promo and they will charge for this eventually) that is the biggest rip off ever.

Why would you guys say this? If it is free it seems pretty smart to me, you have a guaranteed price. Like buying a PUT on it for 0. If you can't sell it
For more you bring it back and get your predetermined price. Seems like a no brained to me

zachslusser

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Nice thing about the Buy Back program is that it is off the full retail price so If you bought a 32gb Iphone for 299 contract price then in 6 months or less when Verizon decides to have a Iphone that will work with LTE you can sell it back to Best Buy for 400 bucks, yes you can make more on ebay or craigslist but their is a lot less hassle and Its guaranteed. So if its free why not, though I probably wouldn't pay for the service but I have it because it was free.

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Bought it at Best Buy. Opened today, the phone is not working. It won't turn on out of the box. Worst purchase ever. I know I am not doing anything wrong, because you just have to press the power button. It simply does nothing.
Connected to USB, does nothing. Connected to AC outlet, does nothing.
Hard reset, does nothing. I have not even taken the stickers off....

Would I recommend buying at Best Buy? Well, it took them 1 hour to sell me a phone, there were only 2 more customers in front of me.
Is it worth it with the Buy Back program? Perhaps, if they actually sold you a working iPhone and not a dead one out of the box.

First time Apple user, probably last time I purchase something Apple, and last time I purchase at Best Buy. To me it is not acceptable to pay so much money for a phone made by a company such as Apple and get a defective phone right away...I wonder where or how they are making these new devices and the quality of the materials they are using.

I sure hope Best Buy give me a good phone this time when I drive hours back to their store and after such a waste of gas, this phone is going to cost me quite a lot more than I thought.

On top of that, Best Buy Reward Zone is down for "maintenance" until the 28th....so you can not use your points to save some money (I qualified for a $10 discount, they did not give it to me, since the stupid program is down for 8 days).

Conclusion: total and complete disappointment with Best Buy, and Apple. I don't know which one disappoints me the most at this moment. If after the return, it happens again, I will go back to my BlackBerry.

zachslusser

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hrmm it seems as though you would have had them make sure the phone worked of you had to drive hours to get there. So that sounds like a mistake you made. I'll agree that it sucks that the phone doesn't work but that also isnt best buys fault that's apples. When I bought my phone at best buy on Saturday they set the whole thing up an it was a great experience. Also I believe you can apply reward zone certificates up to a certain amount of days after purchase. So you could probably still use it.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Bought it at Best Buy. Opened today, the phone is not working. It won't turn on out of the box. Worst purchase ever. I know I am not doing anything wrong, because you just have to press the power button. It simply does nothing.
Connected to USB, does nothing. Connected to AC outlet, does nothing.
Hard reset, does nothing. I have not even taken the stickers off....

Would I recommend buying at Best Buy? Well, it took them 1 hour to sell me a phone, there were only 2 more customers in front of me.
Is it worth it with the Buy Back program? Perhaps, if they actually sold you a working iPhone and not a dead one out of the box.

First time Apple user, probably last time I purchase something Apple, and last time I purchase at Best Buy. To me it is not acceptable to pay so much money for a phone made by a company such as Apple and get a defective phone right away...I wonder where or how they are making these new devices and the quality of the materials they are using.

I sure hope Best Buy give me a good phone this time when I drive hours back to their store and after such a waste of gas, this phone is going to cost me quite a lot more than I thought.

On top of that, Best Buy Reward Zone is down for "maintenance" until the 28th....so you can not use your points to save some money (I qualified for a $10 discount, they did not give it to me, since the stupid program is down for 8 days).

Conclusion: total and complete disappointment with Best Buy, and Apple. I don't know which one disappoints me the most at this moment. If after the return, it happens again, I will go back to my BlackBerry.

Dislike for an entire company because of a single issue is very single minded. You could go out and buy an $80,000 Mercedes and have the engine blow up on the lot, hence they come with warranties. Best Buy on the other hand is known for being terrible. $500 for a hard drive replacement plus the cost of the drive! Repairing computers myself I can tell you that is beyond absurd.

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
They bring tech to the masses and then you will pay more. Best buy is good if you need something right away. They are just going to get worse as competition dries up.

For the iPhone my recommendation is the apple store or verizon store if you have the opportunity to do so.

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hrmm it seems as though you would have had them make sure the phone worked of you had to drive hours to get there. So that sounds like a mistake you made. I'll agree that it sucks that the phone doesn't work but that also isnt best buys fault that's apples. When I bought my phone at best buy on Saturday they set the whole thing up an it was a great experience. Also I believe you can apply reward zone certificates up to a certain amount of days after purchase. So you could probably still use it.

I don't think you have to make sure a device from Apple works before I open it out of the store. When people order from Apple store online(i don't have a retail store nearby), they don't open it until they don't receive it, right? Same with Verizon stores.

However, your making a point. I guess I assumed too much just because I always hear Apple is great. They make defective units as well, I can see it now. I should have opened it there, the problem is I thought about it, but I hate having the employees touching my new phone and messing with it, sorry I just don't like it when I can do it myself. Lesson learned though. When I take it back tomorrow, I will simply open it in front of them and try it.

I did not mean to hijack this thread with my story, sorry about that everyone(I know nobody has complained or anything, just being polite). Just giving my experience to the OP.

Last edited:

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Dislike for an entire company because of a single issue is very single minded. You could go out and buy an $80,000 Mercedes and have the engine blow up on the lot, hence they come with warranties. Best Buy on the other hand is known for being terrible. $500 for a hard drive replacement plus the cost of the drive! Repairing computers myself I can tell you that is beyond absurd.

Im just frustrated that's all. Hopefully I will get a good unit when they replace this defective one. Had no idea about Best Buy being that bad though. Good to know.

Thank you for your input.

zachslusser

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if you buy a phone from Best Buy can they swap all your data over like at a Verizon store?

Yes they can, they did it for me. As far as them not doing it for the other person it sounds like their best buy people are lazy. My best buy did it for me without question but they also activated my phone because I had to upgrade on another line on our share plan that wasn't my number so that could be why they did it.

Reactions: Jdot84

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The buyback program they have is a joke,

How is it a joke? It just started! Its like saying the iPhone 5 is a joke when its not even out yet. I can see if you were talking about the ad, but the program?

I don't really get why people have to be obessed with buying a iPhone in an Apple store. its not like the phone will be any different, trust me those so called "genius" are not that smart. (especelly when they are texting on the clock) I own a mac also and took it in and they had no clue what the problem was.

Nice thing about the Buy Back program is that it is off the full retail price so If you bought a 32gb Iphone for 299 contract price then in 6 months or less when Verizon decides to have a Iphone that will work with LTE you can sell it back to Best Buy for 400 bucks, yes you can make more on ebay or craigslist but their is a lot less hassle and Its guaranteed. So if its free why not, though I probably wouldn't pay for the service but I have it because it was free.

Agreed. Why spend months tring to sell the damn thing when you just take it to best buy and get the gift card right on the spot. No waiting, no need to drive over to a UPS store or Fed Ex office to ship it, or meet a stranger somewhere.

Guess people hate best buy because of some ramdom reason. I like them. A whole lot less packed then Apple stores thats for sure.

Bought it at Best Buy. Opened today, the phone is not working. It won't turn on out of the box. Worst purchase ever.

You mean to tell me they didn't help you set it up in store? Its not really Best Buys problem. Its Apple's and even yours for not letting them help you set it up in store.

Hate to break it to you, but Apple is not perfect. No one is. There will be defective products.

Well maybe this time you should check to see if its working in store like you should have the first time around.

Since when? I was in Best Buy on the 19th buying a new laptop and I used my reward zone card. It may be the website. I can't see the program being down.

again, its not really Best Buys falut, nor Apple really. You got a defective product. Simple as that.

It surprises me you had so many "issues" with Best Buy mobile. I bought my phone at an actual Best Buy mobile store (where they just sell phones. nothing else) and the lady who helped me was so nice, let me play with a demo they had behind the counter while she was getting my number ported over. Phone was fine till a few days later, but I didn't complain or cry on the internet about it, I just went in and had an exchange. Same lady from before helped me, and she exchanged it, no questions asked.

Jdot84

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes they can, they did it for me. As far as them not doing it for the other person it sounds like their best buy people are lazy. My best buy did it for me without question but they also activated my phone because I had to upgrade on another line on our share plan that wasn't my number so that could be why they did it.

Thanks alot

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I bet you are right, like I said the employee was all sweaty and nervous trying to help only 2 people...it was the end of the day. I guess he had a bad day, and I kind of understood. Then the next day when I called them on the phone to explain my issue with the dead phone, they were very passive and trying to hang up as soon as possible. Very disrespectful and unprofessional for sure.

I think I will have to finally admit, it was in part my fault for trusting Best Buy that much.

trends

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Its a rip off especially for iphones because apple products notoriously hold their value, really, really well. I sold a year and half old 8gb iphone 3g for $340 on ebay. I just sold an old 8GB ipod touch 2g for $115 on ebay. They're gonna turn around and sell whatever you gave them for double when you could have just as easily done the same thing on ebay.

That's what I thought as well. But I figured, hey it can't be that bad. I still think it is not a bad option.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR