Hi,

I've seen all kinds of push vs. battery problems on this forum and throughout the internet but nothing like my problem.

I've got 3GS on 4.2.1 (JB by GP) and I have great battery performance at work using push notification on twitter with boxcar. Battery drop is 1%/h. At home, battery drops 6-7% per hour.
    I use wifi both at home and at work, similar signal strength, the same router vendor - Linksys, not sure about the model.

Can anyone tell what can be the most important setting that I should read from my company's router and apply to the home unit? Or maybe this is not the wifi after all?
    Last edited by hughofborg; 02-18-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: changed the title so people would focus on wifi
    02-18-2011 07:26 AM
    What type of cell reception do you have at home? I'm going to guess that you have 1 or 2 bars at home so the phone is constantly searching for a stronger signal and that will kill your battery.
    02-18-2011 08:50 AM
    The cell signal is fine. Push is definitely a problem because when I turn it of, the battery draining stops. I'm trying to figure what causes different push performance in two different locations.
    I might add that I have cellular data, 3g and bluetooth off.

Thanks for trying!
    02-18-2011 08:59 AM
    i do think the type of cellular data signal affects the battery performance
    02-18-2011 10:03 PM
    I believe two things contribute, cell signal, and hunting for wifi signals.

Jimbo
    02-19-2011 08:12 AM
    Thanks for all your opinions but, as I wrote before, I've got cell data and 3G turned off all the time and, as far as I know, the phone should receive boxcar notifications via WiFi. Moreover, turning notifications off helps the battery immediately. I also have no problems with making and receiving calls.

I am thinking about some expert-level setting on my WiFi router that causes my phone to fall in same indefinite loop or something. I tried setting RTS and Fragmentation thresholds to values similar to the router I have in my work place, where the battery performs great with notifications, but it didn't help. I guess I'll need to say goodbye to notifications.
    02-19-2011 12:57 PM
    When you're trying to figure out a problem like this you have to be open to and try different things. You could try putting you phone into Airplane mode at home so that all the notifications go through Wifi only. You have 3G data off but the phone might be searching for cell signal draining the battery. You could also see what the difference is turning off wifi and going via 3G at home. Then you compare the results and see if you can find a difference. When you turn notification off the Wifi drain might be helping but the drain at homemight be caused by the phone searching for signal more often than at your work.
    02-19-2011 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the airplane mode tip - I haven't thought of that!

So I did two tests to pinpoint the source of the problem:
    - airplane mode, connected to WiFi at home, boxcar notifications on - 4% in 30 minutes
    - WiFi off, cellular data on, 3G on, boxcar notifications on - 1% in 30minutes (it could have switched this one percent due to normal usage)

Some of my neighbors also have WiFi routers (I see at least 3 other access points in the WiFi settings) so the problem can be with the phone having trouble to isolate correct signal from all available. This would be a bad news because I can't go and tell my neighbors to switch off their WiFi. Alternatively, my WRT54GC is not very IPhone-friendly and I should find a new piece of hardware that is.
    02-19-2011 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD