Everyone says Blackberry's are for poweruser, but...

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I miss some of options/settings that blackberry gave you that iphone doesn't (some of which I don't understand why they're not on every phone today). Mainly custom dictionary and changing the autotext replacement suggestions. I really like my new iphone buy one thing I have to ask is how in the hell does the best smartphone ever not automatically put punctuation in contractions. And little shortcuts like il for I'll, wel for we'll, etc. Not being able to customize text tones, and set different tones for different messages gets on my nerves a little too, but not a big deal.

Overall, I'm still on the fence. I'd love to be able to say I can type faster on iphone, but it really isn't when I have to spend time to do things my blackberry (storm2) did for me. It's typing convenience vs. web experience. Itunes is kind of a pain in the ass too.

Last edited:

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I miss some of options/settings that blackberry gave you that iphone doesn't (some of which I don't understand why they're not on every phone today). Mainly custom dictionary and changing the autotext replacement suggestions. I really like my new iphone buy one thing I have to ask is how in the hell does the best smartphone ever not automatically put punctuation in contractions. And little shortcuts like il for I'll, wel for we'll, etc. Not being able to customize text tones, and set different tones for different messages gets on my nerves a little too, but not a big deal.

Overall, I'm still on the fence. I'd love to be able to say I can type faster on iphone, but it really isn't when I have to spend time to do things my blackberry (storm2) did for me. It's typing convenience vs. web experience. Itunes is kind of a pain in the ass too.
It most certainly does. I'll, can't, don't all were done by the iPhone for me. I noticed because I actually text with proper grammar. o_O

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It most certainly does. I'll, can't, don't all were done by the iPhone for me. I noticed because I actually text with proper grammar. o_O

Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm more concerned with we're we'll, those that homonyms. I don't like the way I'll is done though. I don't want it changing ill to I'll (not that I ever really use ill).

I text with proper grammar too.

Sosai X

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I went from the Blackberry Storm 9530 to the iPhone 4. Let me preface things by saying after just over a week with the iPhone, I absolutely LOVE it. For the most part.

It's fast. It's fluid. It doesn't require an app specifically to re-set the device to get it to work properly. It doesn't lock up for no reason whatsoever. And it does the internet far better than any Blackberry product ever.

Having said that, for all I've said, the iPhone is a toy. Blackberry IS superior for business users, not to mention being far more customizable than Apple will ever allow the iPhone to be.

Again, don't get me wrong - I love the iPhone and can only see my enjoyment growing over time. But it's still, ultimately, a toy when compared to a Blackberry.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I went from the Blackberry Storm 9530 to the iPhone 4. Let me preface things by saying after just over a week with the iPhone, I absolutely LOVE it. For the most part.

It's fast. It's fluid. It doesn't require an app specifically to re-set the device to get it to work properly. It doesn't lock up for no reason whatsoever. And it does the internet far better than any Blackberry product ever.

Having said that, for all I've said, the iPhone is a toy. Blackberry IS superior for business users, not to mention being far more customizable than Apple will ever allow the iPhone to be.

Again, don't get me wrong - I love the iPhone and can only see my enjoyment growing over time. But it's still, ultimately, a toy when compared to a Blackberry.

Well don't get me wrong, but if a smoother, faster, better constructed, sharper, more visually pleasing experience makes this phone a "toy" then I guess I prefer "toys". :)

Reactions: Cleveland

cthomas1440

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
All work and no play will make BB obsolete. I simply got tired of carrying two devices (storm 2 & iPod touch). I had a really good BB with none of the problems others had with their surepress. I actually really liked it...until I got my touch. After using the smooth, powerful UI and being able to actually use the net, I knew I had to have an iPhone. Two things that I miss are the LED notifications and my holster that put the phone on standby. I don't mind the slide feature, but I preferred the holster feature.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm more concerned with we're we'll, those that homonyms. I don't like the way I'll is done though. I don't want it changing ill to I'll (not that I ever really use ill).

I text with proper grammar too.

Yeah you're used to the blackberry autocorrects. I was too. It took a while for me to get used to writing I'll instead of il. The custom autocorrect, and dictionary should be a feature here, and I hope it is in the next os version. I had some really nice autotexts setup before.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Well don't get me wrong, but if a smoother, faster, better constructed, sharper, more visually pleasing experience makes this phone a "toy" then I guess I prefer "toys". :)

I still dont get why people call them toys. And I will admit I used to be one of those people. I can honestly admit that I have only played a game for like 5 minutes on this phone so far. I played brickbreaker much more lol. I have so much more that I can do, I don't think to play a game.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
All work and no play will make BB obsolete. I simply got tired of carrying two devices (storm 2 & iPod touch). I had a really good BB with none of the problems others had with their surepress. I actually really liked it...until I got my touch. After using the smooth, powerful UI and being able to actually use the net, I knew I had to have an iPhone. Two things that I miss are the LED notifications and my holster that put the phone on standby. I don't mind the slide feature, but I preferred the holster feature.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

Lol. I also carries around a touch and my s2. I loved the screen on the s2 as I never had any problems either. But using the touch was just so much nicer and smoother and it always worked.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I still dont get why people call them toys. And I will admit I used to be one of those people. I can honestly admit that I have only played a game for like 5 minutes on this phone so far. I played brickbreaker much more lol. I have so much more that I can do, I don't think to play a game.

I think some of the mentality comes from so many people using it as a toy, it has kinda been marketed as a toy relative to blackberry, and the best selling apps ever are almost all games.

My 11 year old son begs for an iPhone pretty regularly but doesn't even know what a blackberry is.

Last edited:

lmac4cy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised to learn how much faster I type with the iPhone screen that I did with the physical buttons on the 8830 or Tour.

I totally agree with this. I came from a BB 8330 and have noticed that I type faster on the IP4 then the BB. I also enjoy not seeing that stupid little blue bar down at the bottom while trying to load any web page.

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree

I think otherwise. I have had my iPhone for a week and a half now, and I think I can get a lot more done with my iPhone then I ever did with my Blackberry. I'm begining to think the only people who say that are the ones that are jealous of iPhone, or Blackberry fanboy's. This is the best phone I have ever had. Just wanted to share my thought as it popped into my head.

There were a couple things i feel i was spoiled with on my bbs, (profile settings and pushed notifications) but as far as how the device handles, apps available, etc. I am much happier with this Vip4.

reyxlp

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I did the 9530 --> 9550 --> DInc --> VZWiP4 route.

I've had iPods before and loved them, though I had a Mac once and it wasn't for me, I much prefer PCs.

I absolutely love the iPhone 4. I was on the fence until I Jailbroke it and customized it more, added some apps thru Cydia, etc. I will definitely keep it now.

Having said that, my 9550 -- which I loved -- was way more customizable in general and BBs are still the best at handling e-mail (and I'm not just talking about push, which many devices can do now.)

The iPhone 4 has the best straight-up touchscreen keyboard I've ever tried, bar none, but I still type much faster on my 9550's SurePress and think the press-down touchscreen is superior, though I'm well aware most people think that's nuts. (There are many more people that bash SurePress who have never really tried it than people who bash iPhones that have never really tried them. Just sayin', haha..)

Lack of a notification light on ANY device is an absolute JOKE. Again, LOVE my iPhone, keeping it, but still, come on, Apple!

I do miss BBM and while I guess there is no incentive for Apple to develop their own with the free ones out there in the App Store, it's too bad because if they did, it would be so well integrated into the phone it would be killer.

My DInc was faster than my iPhone but I don't mind, it's not like the iPhone is slow by any means. Plus the UI is smooth as silk.

They are all great devices and, "toy" vs. "real tool", blablabla -- a Porsche 911 Turbo is a "toy" and it also does business better than most every other car on the road in many respects, so I don't really get that argument...

Ideally, I could take all RIM's Email handling, BIS features, security and customization options plus Android's customization options, the speed their phones generally offer and their Google Apps and put them all on the iPhone but that's not the way it works, there are many great devices out there that have their strengths and weaknesses.

I *love* and am keeping my iPhone, but, please folks, it's not perfect by any means and there's lots of other great devices out there, too.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Email on my storm was far superior than it is on iPhone. Why does a device with multitouch not use it to allow for quick choosing of a bunch of email to delete? The calendar is nothing special either Why does a touchscreen device not allow you to click on a time slot to open a new calendar entry? Typing is faster except for one thing. It's slow waiting for the magnifying glass to allow for placing the cursor in the middle of a word. That makes quick edits more of a chore than they have to be. And sometimes the iPhone insists on capitalizing in inappropriate spots.

Yep, it's awesome to have a phone with web browsing that works, and that doesn't truncate emails. But it's a trade off. We'll see how responsive apple is to their usability quirks.

Last edited:

jared

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had Blackberries before and I never quite understood what the big deal was with BBM. It seems to me that it's just free texting to other BB owners. That's great, but I don't know anyone that doesn't have unlimited texting, so what's the big deal?

reyxlp

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Nice things about BBM:

- I did not have unlimited texting and most of my friends/family were on BBs so it saved me quite a bit on my monthly bill with Verizon.
- International texting is very expensive but through BBM there is no extra cost for this as it goes through BIS in your data plan. Saved a ton there, too, with mostly family and some friends in Europe, Latin America and Australia.
- Gives you real time status of your message: ent, [D]elivered and [R]ead.
- Send messages, pictures, contacts, voice notes, groups/group messaging, etc. There are many industries that rely heavily on BBM for business, too.

It may not be of interest to many people but it's a tremendous application.

Now there is Kik and LiveProfile which are cross platform, though RIM sued Kik and LiveProfile's BB App still hasn't arrived. I have read that RIM considers BBM it's most prized retention tool so I'm sure they'll do everything they can to sink any BBM-like Apps or block any cross platform Apps from including BBs.

I certainly miss it and have unsuccessfully tried to get people I IM with a lot to install Kik. Despite it being free and super easy, the average person is pretty lame when it comes to doing anything that requires the slightest effort going outside proprietary and brand name apps on their smartphones, sadly. I am not very tech savvy but sometimes the tech-lazy/frightened people in my life drive me nuts haha... "Oh, no - what if it breaks my phone?" Ugh...!

RIM is lagging so far behind upgrading their phones, though, that many of my fellow BBers have jumped ship for Android and iPhones, so I have fewer people to BBM with and it's less of an issue now.

Reactions: jared

jared

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for explaining that. I never realized the benefits because I always had unlimited text, and when I'm out of the country it's on pleasure and the phone stays off. I can see where it can be a somewhat useful tool. I know BB is starting to push it hard in a new commercial I saw. They even have some girl giving her PIN# to a guy in a bar. Doesn't Google Talk and AIM do the same thing as BBM though?

reyxlp

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for explaining that. I never realized the benefits because I always had unlimited text, and when I'm out of the country it's on pleasure and the phone stays off. I can see where it can be a somewhat useful tool. I know BB is starting to push it hard in a new commercial I saw. They even have some girl giving her PIN# to a guy in a bar. Doesn't Google Talk and AIM do the same thing as BBM though?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe those programs don't support S/D/R status indicators, direct file send (as opposed to posted links) or push, but I could be wrong. I use all the major IM clients but I use BeeJiveIM or IM+ to have them all in one place and prefer BBM over those Apps but I've never used any of those clients individually outside of a multi-client App.

I haven't had the pleasure of using BBM to pick up a date haha but it is pretty easy to add other BBs by just scanning their barcode and you can instantly transfer all sorts of contact info.

BB is a dinosaur in many ways but there are many things they also do really well, I think.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Lol. I also carries around a touch and my s2. I loved the screen on the s2 as I never had any problems either. But using the touch was just so much nicer and smoother and it always worked.

A lot of my Blackberry carrying friends do this, I used to also. I keep telling them to try the iPhone, and they don't want to. Me I like to simplify my life by only carrying one device around. Sure I don't have bbm, or as great of notifications, but the advantages out weigh the disadvantages.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73