I've had Blackberries before and I never quite understood what the big deal was with BBM. It seems to me that it's just free texting to other BB owners. That's great, but I don't know anyone that doesn't have unlimited texting, so what's the big deal?
    The cool thing about BBM was the ability to send >160 character messages, voice notes, pictures to anyone who has a BlackBerry anywhere in the world for free. There were many times that i was out of the country and could use BBM for free to talk to family and friends without it costing me anything at all. Even in areas that had no wifi i could always use BBM. It was a great tool.

I do business with partners inn Canada and we talk quite often via BBM and it worked out very well. If you didn't have need for the things listed above than there really isn't anything special about it. Bottom line- if you have friends who own BlackBerries then you want BBM. If you don't, well, you don't
    02-20-2011 06:16 PM
    There are a few things that my Berry did better than my iP4:

1-Obviously notifications were better but i knew that going in. Hopefully they'll fix that in a new upgrade (maybe iP5?) via an LED and software update

2-the BB calendar was far more robust and quicker to enter events in. I do a lot of conference calls and with my berry i could check the box for a conf call, enter the call in number then the code and all was set. When the reminder went off for the call all I needed to do was click "join" and it dialed everything for me. Not crucial, but a damn nice feature.

3-email was better on my berry. I'm using gmail, mobile me, as well as a normal POP account and i think the berry just plain handles email better-at least in terms of receiving it in a fast, reliable fashion. I get my gmail and mobile me emails pretty quick but the home POP account lags. I can hear my wife get an email on her berry and mine won't have it for at least 5-10 minutes later. Again, not a deal breaker, but nice.

4-ability to hold a call in the sketchy spots of my geography was better on my BB as well. I drop more calls with the iP4 where i never did before.

Every other aspect is better on my iP4. The apps work better, and the ability to surf the web is beyond comparison. Camera and video quality are outstanding as well.

All in all I love my new device. I really don't see that I'll be returning to BB unless they get their act together othe media front. Sending pictures and video is far better on the apple device. Dropbox and Evernote work better on my iP4.

The biggest reason I moved to the iP4 was the ability to sync my multiple Mac's with my phone. BB and Mac do not play well with one another and i was constantly fighting to get all my calendars (mine, wife and two kids) to work correctly. MobileMe is a wonderful thing- as long as it's working well.

Yep, I'm staying with my iP4...BB does some useful things but the overall experience is better with my iP4
    bmidd#IM likes this.
    02-20-2011 06:42 PM
    Only thing I miss is the notification LED. If Apple could make the home button light up or glow as a notification light, that would be cool.
    02-21-2011 02:29 AM
    One thing I'm noticing, in safari, is having to scroll up to the top of a page to refresh it. Does anyone know how to refresh without scrolling to the top?
    02-21-2011 10:00 PM
    One thing I'm noticing, in safari, is having to scroll up to the top of a page to refresh it. Does anyone know how to refresh without scrolling to the top?
    Not that I know of. Do you manually scroll to the top? There's a shortcut. Just tap the status bar, and it'll bring you to the top and display the address bar.
    02-21-2011 10:24 PM
    Only thing I miss is the notification LED. If Apple could make the home button light up or glow as a notification light, that would be cool.
    That would be badass ... like a MacBook Pro LED backlight keyboard
    02-21-2011 10:52 PM
    Not that I know of. Do you manually scroll to the top? There's a shortcut. Just tap the status bar, and it'll bring you to the top and display the address bar.
    Cool, Thanks!
    02-22-2011 01:35 AM
    I agree coming from years on RIM devices. Most bashers have never used an i4, so they really are speaking from emotion and not experience. My i4 is by FAR the best smartphone I've had.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

After the Blackberry Tour, I'll never touch another Blackberry again.
    02-22-2011 02:44 AM
    Email on my storm was far superior than it is on iPhone. Why does a device with multitouch not use it to allow for quick choosing of a bunch of email to delete? ...
    From the inbox, hit "edit".

This will all you to select multiple emails to delete.
    02-22-2011 09:42 AM
    ... I do miss one thing on the BB - press and hold one key for hot dialing.

One Tap Dial or similar app. 99 cents.
    02-22-2011 09:59 AM
    Oh, please no. As useful as the LED indicator was, it's probably the thing I miss the least about my BB. I'm not opposed to some type of small indicator light on the face of the device in future iterations (or not), but definitely not a proponent of the home screen button being used for this purpose.

Personally, I'd much rather see something done about the audible notifications rather than an LED light I've quickly grown accustomed to not having.
    03-02-2011 12:02 AM
    A coworker had forewarned me about missing the LED, but I can truly say that I don't miss it. My main issue with the iPhone over my Storm2 is just that it works and it works well just like the VZ commercial. Did miss BBM, but found ways around it and definitely love the variety of apps & games and find myself using my device way more than my Storm2 for a ton of other things than I did when I had my Storm2.

To be fair, I have to admit that the e-mail push on the BB is superior, but not a huge deal for me. That small difference wasn't enough compared to the rest of the things I can now use my phone for.
    03-02-2011 04:32 PM
    Email push is actually better for me on my iPhone than it was on my Storm 2 since I use MobileMe. On my Storm 2 there was always a delay. On my iPhone I get my email instantly.
    03-02-2011 05:48 PM
    I went from the Blackberry Storm 9530 to the iPhone 4. Let me preface things by saying after just over a week with the iPhone, I absolutely LOVE it. For the most part.

It's fast. It's fluid. It doesn't require an app specifically to re-set the device to get it to work properly. It doesn't lock up for no reason whatsoever. And it does the internet far better than any Blackberry product ever.

Having said that, for all I've said, the iPhone is a toy. Blackberry IS superior for business users, not to mention being far more customizable than Apple will ever allow the iPhone to be.

Again, don't get me wrong - I love the iPhone and can only see my enjoyment growing over time. But it's still, ultimately, a toy when compared to a Blackberry.
    As a business user who came to the iphone from a BB 9630 and 9650, I'm not quite sure why you'd say the iPhone is a toy or BB is superior for business users. BB's claim to fame - push email - isn't a BB exclusive anymore. My iPhone lets me get all my email, and handles pdf attachments (which I use in business a lot) much better than my Berries did. The iPhone also handles my subfolders in Outlook much better than my BBs did.
    03-03-2011 11:24 AM
    As a business user who came to the iphone from a BB 9630 and 9650, I'm not quite sure why you'd say the iPhone is a toy or BB is superior for business users. BB's claim to fame - push email - isn't a BB exclusive anymore. My iPhone lets me get all my email, and handles pdf attachments (which I use in business a lot) much better than my Berries did. The iPhone also handles my subfolders in Outlook much better than my BBs did.
    What do you mean "handle" pdfs. Iphone doesn't handle pdfs, it just opens them. Not being able to save natively is unreal for a phone of this level. I didn't pay for this phone to have to pay some more for it to begin to match the functionality of my 9550.

If all you need as a business user is push email then great. But as a "poweruser" I guess, and not even a business user, I feel severly limited with what I can do with my iphone unless it's play games/music/movies. Iphone can't even get on the web, download any given file, then attach it to an email and send it out. IMO, this is a little ridiculous for the most expensive phone out there. As a student, I could work on a project on my laptop without wifi. Finish, save it to my blackberry and email it to turn it in. Not so with iphone.

The lack of true multitasking also makes it more "toylike". With a blackberry I can open several webpages, close out and send an email/text whatever, come back and pages are loaded. Iphone I come back and I still have to wait for the pages to load.

Yes it "works", and is pretty to look at, and imo, Apple didn't initially intend for the iphone to be a business phone. After all it was advertised as the ipod that happened to make a phone call too. Out of the box it has little more functionality (besides pushed email, media) than my old motorola razr.
    Last edited by TiNuts; 03-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    03-03-2011 11:42 AM
    What do you mean "handle" pdfs. Iphone doesn't handle pdfs, it just opens them. Not being able to save natively is unreal for a phone of this level. I didn't pay for this phone to have to pay some more for it to begin to match the functionality of my 9550.

If all you need as a business user is push email then great. But as a "poweruser" I guess, and not even a business user, I feel severly limited with what I can do with my iphone unless it's play games/music/movies. Iphone can't even get on the web, download any given file, then attach it to an email and send it out. IMO, this is a little ridiculous for the most expensive phone out there. As a student, I could work on a project on my laptop without wifi. Finish, save it to my blackberry and email it to turn it in. Not so with iphone.

The lack of true multitasking also makes it more "toylike". With a blackberry I can open several webpages, close out and send an email/text whatever, come back and pages are loaded. Iphone I come back and I still have to wait for the pages to load.

Yes it "works", and is pretty to look at, and imo, Apple didn't initially intend for the iphone to be a business phone. After all it was advertised as the ipod that happened to make a phone call too. Out of the box it has little more functionality (besides pushed email, media) than my old motorola razr.
    What I mean by "handle" pdfs is that half the time my 9650 wouldn't even open them, and trying to make them readable on the screen of the 9650 was very painful.

You can argue the merits of the blackberry vs. the iphone, but calling it a toy is silly. If it doesn't work for you, that's why there is a market with numerous manufacturers and operating systems to choose from.

If you enjoyed web browsing on the blackberry, you are the first I have ever heard of. Good luck clicking on about 90 percent of web links you get in an email, because the BB either can't open them or it be so slow that you'll just give up.

I don't use many third party apps and out of the box it does everything I need it to do. You pays your money, you gets your choice.
    03-03-2011 11:54 AM
    What I mean by "handle" pdfs is that half the time my 9650 wouldn't even open them, and trying to make them readable on the screen of the 9650 was very painful.
    I never really had any problems opening them, but I agree that viewing them on iphone is easier.

You can argue the merits of the blackberry vs. the iphone, but calling it a toy is silly. If it doesn't work for you, that's why there is a market with numerous manufacturers and operating systems to choose from.
    I'm not trying to argue blackberry vs iphone, necessarily, just that the iphone is as much a toy as any other smartphone. For the price, I expected more from it out of the box. But that's what I get for not doing more research before I bought it. Then again, some of the things I didn't know I'd miss until I tried and found out I couldn't do it.

If you enjoyed web browsing on the blackberry, you are the first I have ever heard of. Good luck clicking on about 90 percent of web links you get in an email, because the BB either can't open them or it be so slow that you'll just give up.
    I didn't enjoy it, which is why I got an iphone. I agree, iphone beats blackberry hands down in this department. Opera mini made it tolerable.

Don't get me wrong, the iphone is phenominal at doing what it does and is a great phone, but for the money it should do everything any of the competition can do and more out of the box. I think being called a toy is quite fair as it is geared more for media and gaming as are most smartphones nowadays. And why the offense when it's called a toy? If it wasn't it would be messaging and phone calls, that's it.
    Last edited by TiNuts; 03-03-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    03-03-2011 12:09 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD