Verizon says I'll have NO WARRANTY on my iPone 4 if....

cody

May 17, 2006
Visit site
i used the upgrade elgibilty on different account to get an iphone on my line of service.

i wasn't available for any discount and i'm on a business account. are sister company (different business account name) had an upgrade and they let me use it. when i was talking with verizon support about something today, he told me i would have NO WARRANTY on the iPone once it was taken off the account is was sold to.

Is this true?

Thanks, Cody

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is.

Simply put, the warranty belongs to the whom it was originally sold - if transferred after that, then warranties do not transfer. If you have an issue with the device, you might be better off dealing with Apple directly rather than Verizon.

ashykat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
No Cody it is not true. Apple's warranty is transferable, that's one of the big reasons Apple products sell so well on the used market. As long as you go through Apple you'll be fine.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
No Cody it is not true. Apple's warranty is transferable, that's one of the big reasons Apple products sell so well on the used market. As long as you go through Apple you'll be fine.

Yeah but verizon was correct in saying you wont be able to bring it in to them if something happens to it. You can take it to apple but they charge you and not everyone has an apple store near by.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
What about ESN swaps to another line on the same account? Thinking of doing this for DH before unlimited plan goes away, we'd be porting our home line to another line on our family plan, and then switching to his number.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can take it to apple but they charge you and not everyone has an apple store near by.

This is not true for a product less than a year old. Apple doesn't charge you UNLESS it's something that the warranty doesn't cover or you are out of warranty or coverage. For the first 90 days every iPhone has complimentary support in addition to the 1 year warranty. Any issue you have, you can call or go to Apple and they will look at it free of charge and fix it for free if it's something that is covered. For instance, if the camera craps out on day 120 Apple will fix it for free because it is still covered under the limited warranty IF they determine its a hardware defect and not something done by water damage or anything else the user did.

They ONLY charged when your device it out of the warranty period or if it's something that's not covered.

To the OP you can go here to check out the 1 year warranty that's included on every device. You are not charged anything to take it to Apple.

Apple - Legal

Hopefully there is one nearby and you also get phone support for the first 90 days.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it is.

Simply put, the warranty belongs to the whom it was originally sold - if transferred after that, then warranties do not transfer. If you have an issue with the device, you might be better off dealing with Apple directly rather than Verizon.

With Apple, warranty transfer with the product and it will transfer as many times as the device changes hands during the 12 months. If the OP deals with or goes to Apple, they will honor the warranty

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is not true for a product less than a year old. Apple doesn't charge you UNLESS it's something that the warranty doesn't cover or you are out of warranty or coverage. For the first 90 days every iPhone has complimentary support in addition to the 1 year warranty. Any issue you have, you can call or go to Apple and they will look at it free of charge and fix it for free if it's something that is covered. For instance, if the camera craps out on day 120 Apple will fix it for free because it is still covered under the limited warranty IF they determine its a hardware defect and not something done by water damage or anything else the user did.

They ONLY charged when your device it out of the warranty period or if it's something that's not covered.

To the OP you can go here to check out the 1 year warranty that's included on every device. You are not charged anything to take it to Apple.

Apple - Legal

Hopefully there is one nearby and you also get phone support for the first 90 days.

Actually they charge you shipping for you to send it to them I did this before with a product less than a year old and they still made me pay for shipping!

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
What about ESN swaps to another line on the same account? Thinking of doing this for DH before unlimited plan goes away, we'd be porting our home line to another line on our family plan, and then switching to his number.

Yes, Verizon is ok with you doing that. As long as its on the same account, Verizon will still honor it. If you move accounts, you have to go through Apple.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually they charge you shipping for you to send it to them I did this before with a product less than a year old and they still made me pay for shipping!

Well obviously, I'm not talking about shipping. Talking about when you go to the store. And from your post when you said they can take it to apple..... not everyone has a store near them, I would guess you weren't talking about shipping. Charging for shipping is not charging to look at or fix the device.

jgurnett#CB

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Try Squaretrade instead

To the OP and anyone, If you're really worried about warranty and insurance, might I suggest a viable alternative.

Squaretrade has an excellent warranty and is much better IMO than Verizon's insurance program (Assurion). Here are the details of Squaretrade and why I switched:

-One flat price for 2 years of coverage (normally $125, on sale now for 30% off with code WINTER)

-Covers accidental spills, damage, not functioning properly, etc...

-$50 deductible

-Buyback program where they will buy your phone from you after 2 years for 20% the retail price, in my case $160, and for $240 after one year.

This beats VZW's insurance program as you have to pay $10.99/month, as well as the $199 deductible for a replacement!! The only thing VZW has on the other warranties out there is that they cover lost or stolen.

If you lose your precious iPhone or allow it to be stolen by being irresponsible, I feel bad for you...lol.

Obviously just my $0.02, but I have found these warranties to be excellent.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR