Email sent from iphone sends as wrong name

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
On my wife's iphone we have it setup on her gmail account through the exchange option.

When I send an email from her account using the laptop and logging in it to the website it sends the right name. When I do it from the iphone it shows my name as the sender instead of hers, but when i open the email it shows it's from her.

Here it is in my inbox sent from her iphone (I'm James btw)
5449598396_90cde1eb1f_z.jpg

Here it is in my inbox sent from the website on a laptop

5449608404_d1a20c5d2c_z.jpg

here it is after I open it

5449598250_3363c23b03_z.jpg

Like I said it's basically a gmail account and we have it synced as an exchange account

Thanks

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
the only thing i could say was in the settings -> mail contacts -> accounts you can change the name. Check there and make sure it's the right one.

BrandonMatt0718

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I figured out how to fix this - the real solution

The problem isn't with iOS at all, it's a problem Gmail (a question of implementation rather than a true problem). Specifically, where Gmail collects the information that's used as the display name for Exchange.

Let me explain:

Ideally, a user's Exchange display name in Gmail would mirror the "Send mail as" field that's located in Gmail's account settings just as it does with IMAP. However, this is not the case. That's because the display name used by Gmail with Exchange on iOS is populated from a completely different settings data in Google's services. Instead of using the name that's located in the "Send mail as" field in Gmail's settings, Exchange uses the name data that's stored in the user's personal info profile on the "Google Accounts" page.

Here's the fix:

Access the "Google Accounts" page by logging into Gmail.com, then clicking your email address that's located near the top right corner. A drop down menu will appear, then select "Account Settings" and the Google Accounts page will load.

On the Google Accounts page, click the link "edit your personal info without creating a public profile", then the personal info page will load.

You should see the First and Last name fields. The data contained in these two fields are what Exchange uses to populate users' display name when used with Gmail on iOS. After editing and saving the two fields, an immediate update on the Gmail Exchange server will occur; thus, fixing the incongruent name issue when sending email using your iOS device setup to use Gmail with Exchange.

Conclusion:

Note this: Gmail accounts using IMAP on iOS or IMAP on any platform may reflect whatever the user has stored in the "Send mail as" field in his or her Gmail settings. In contrast, Gmail with Exchange doesn't obtain its data from here. Instead, the data it uses is from the information located within the Google Accounts settings page. This explains why some users are able to get the desired display name by enabling their IMAP Gmail and using it to send mail instead of using exchange.

I hope this helps!! Let me know!

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The problem isn't with iOS at all, it's a problem Gmail (a question of implementation rather than a true problem). Specifically, where Gmail collects the information that's used as the display name for Exchange.

Let me explain:

Ideally, a user's Exchange display name in Gmail would mirror the "Send mail as" field that's located in Gmail's account settings just as it does with IMAP. However, this is not the case. That's because the display name used by Gmail with Exchange on iOS is populated from a completely different settings data in Google's services. Instead of using the name that's located in the "Send mail as" field in Gmail's settings, Exchange uses the name data that's stored in the user's personal info profile on the "Google Accounts" page.

Here's the fix:

Access the "Google Accounts" page by logging into Gmail.com, then clicking your email address that's located near the top right corner. A drop down menu will appear, then select "Account Settings" and the Google Accounts page will load.

On the Google Accounts page, click the link "edit your personal info without creating a public profile", then the personal info page will load.

You should see the First and Last name fields. The data contained in these two fields are what Exchange uses to populate users' display name when used with Gmail on iOS. After editing and saving the two fields, an immediate update on the Gmail Exchange server will occur; thus, fixing the incongruent name issue when sending email using your iOS device setup to use Gmail with Exchange.

Conclusion:

Note this: Gmail accounts using IMAP on iOS or IMAP on any platform may reflect whatever the user has stored in the "Send mail as" field in his or her Gmail settings. In contrast, Gmail with Exchange doesn't obtain its data from here. Instead, the data it uses is from the information located within the Google Accounts settings page. This explains why some users are able to get the desired display name by enabling their IMAP Gmail and using it to send mail instead of using exchange.

I hope this helps!! Let me know!

I tried following your directions but when I get to her accounts page I don't see an option for "edit your personal info without creating a public profile"

Maybe it's because she has a public profile with Google+ ? I could try removing her exchange account and reloading it? or does it check for updates every time?

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I think i might have found something. her email is xxxx@homesc.com where homesc.com is our local ISP. It uses gmail to power their email.

I checked the settings on that account and by default it wants to send the email as my name since I'm the account holder. I have the box checked to send as her name and it does when sending from the web but not from her iphone.

Since she's using exchange it only looks at that info, My name is listed on the google account, but it won't let me change the profile since it's my DSL account I guess.

Looks like I'll just have to take her off exchange and use IMAP and boxcar like I do.

Thanks for the help though, it lead me to what appears to be my problem :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods