AT&T iPhone 4 Battery life vs. Verizon iPhone 4 Battery Life

ladjr

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel like my Verizon iPhone 4 battery is dying faster than my previous AT&T iPhone 4 did. I can't be certain because I haven't done any thorough testing, but I developed a pretty good internal gauge of how long my AT&T model lasted depending on my usage and it seems that the Verizon model is dying steadily quicker, not by an overly dramatic amount, but enough for me to notice.

I've read online that CDMA antennas tend to drain batteries faster than GSM antennas because the CDMA radio transmitter is active all the time instead of on-demand like GSM. Can anyone verify this information or forward me to any articles about the power consumptions of CDMA technology vs. GSM. I would love to read more about this topic.

And is anyone experiencing the same battery drain on their Verizon iPhone 4 the way I am compared to their older AT&T model?

Any and all feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an Incredible with the stock battery being uber suckage(dropping to 97% from the time I unplugged in the morning to walking to my car to leave for work-~20min time lapse), this phone seems to have a pretty good battery life. I watch netflix throughout the day, using facebook, cruise the internet, and email and by the time I get home, I'm at about 25% which is pretty good.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My batter easily lasts a day and a half with pretty much usage so I am happy with this especially coming from android where I could barely make it through a day or would have to charge multiple times a day

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
My ViP definitely runs out of juice fast than my AT&TiP. I could go almost 2 days on AT&T and on Verizon I ran out of battery in about 18 hrs.

eatrocks

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i've been with verizon for 5 or 6 years....and ALL my my friends too. every phone i had died super quick if i was in a place with little to no service(i.e. basements). i've had my verizon iphone since 2/7 and its been the best phone for battery life ive ever seen through verizon. i can get over 7 hours of use in a day, mainly texting and youtubing....i DO wish i could turn off 3g when i'm in my basement though

lomamo182

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
if you would like to turn off 3g and just use your home wifi while in the basement.

Go to: settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > turn it off.

while in Network scroll down to Wi Fi > turn it on.

That is all.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
if you would like to turn off 3g and just use your home wifi while in the basement.

Go to: settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > turn it off.

while in Network scroll down to Wi Fi > turn it on.

That is all.

The phone automatically switches to Wi-Fi. You don't need to turn 3G off.

diegoeatspandas#IM

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > turn it off.

If you're not going to be on the internet do this, and the phone won't be constantly searching for 3g when you hardly have any. Note that if you have it off, you won't be able to access the internet, but will get sms, but not mms.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
You are actually better off shutting 3G off instead of cellular data. That way if you forget to turn it back on before you leave, you still will get emails, access the internet, etc... When the phone goes to sleep, the wifi disconnects and goes back to cellular. Just look at the top of the phone when you wake it up when it's on wifi, it will first show the 3G symbol before switching to wifi in a couple of seconds.

To shut off settings>general>network>enable 3G

**** edit ****
I forgot that this option is not available on the VZW iPhone. Tell your AT&T friends though.

Last edited:

PlainEnvelopes

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
My ViP definitely runs out of juice fast than my AT&TiP. I could go almost 2 days on AT&T and on Verizon I ran out of battery in about 18 hrs.

if you can make it a solid full day in my opinion that is a good battery for a smart phone. due to the fact that once you get home it is easy to charge a battery.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
For the most part mine will last a whole day, and that is all I really care about. If I have a day off from work, and am on my phone all day, it will not last as long, but if that is the case I am usually around a charger. Overall I am fairly happy with the battery on the ViP. I had the extended battery on My droid X, and it lasted just about the same amount.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Just a tip... if your phone is on wifi a lot and just sits idle, wifi will drain the battery faster in standby mode than 3G.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
if im not mistaken, one of the features of CDMA is its power ramp up... it will transmit higher power levels when in poor signal areas... so the phones transmitting power is highest when it displays "NO SIGNAL", and lowest with full signal...

correct me someone if I'm wrong... I'm not sure GSM has the same system

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
if you can make it a solid full day in my opinion that is a good battery for a smart phone. due to the fact that once you get home it is easy to charge a battery.

Right but the forum topic is for differences in battery life, not whether it's easy to charge or make it a solid day.

chenzo

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Another point of note, and probably subjective to your location, Verizon's 3G network is far more expansive that AT&T's, which may impact it as well as you are on a 3G connection more often.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2