Insurance or no insurance?

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I bought insurance through Asurion. They way I look at it is... if you cant afford a few extra bucks to protect a very nice iPhone than you probably cant afford the phone itself. I recommend it.

Whew...very inefficient program, at least the one that I was part of. The Asurion that I was offered was $10.99 a month with a $199 deductible (or $150, I cant remember.) That a month, so for 2 years it would cost $263 and some change PLUS the $199 deductible. For Squaretrade, its currently $80 plus only a $50 deductible if you need to use it. I make good money, but I also like to keep as much of it as I can. :D

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading all of the responses on here about SquareTrade and while I am convinced that this is a good warranty what concerns I have is this: I called them to get the actual info on how it works if i buy the warranty and I drop my phone and break the display. They told me I have to send it in after making a claim online or calling and they send me a prepaid label. They try and repair it within 5 days and if they can't my cost is waived but I would then have to go buy a new phone where they subsidize the cost up to full retail depending on what phone I buy... 16gb or 32 gb.

What concerns me is that I would for example have to come up with $599.00 for the 16gb and then they would reimbuse me. What if someone does not have that money? I am only asking. There are a few concerns I have about this so I hope someone will answer this thread and settle my concerns about how the warranty actually works.

Blackbelt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I just decided to go with the Verizon product replacement plan for $9.18 a month with $99 an incident. As my previous post indicated Square trade does not cover loss or theft. Verizon plan covers it all.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just decided to go with the Verizon product replacement plan for $9.18 a month with $99 an incident. As my previous post indicated Square trade does not cover loss or theft. Verizon plan covers it all.

This was not actually an option for me for some reason.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Whew...very inefficient program, at least the one that I was part of. The Asurion that I was offered was $10.99 a month with a $199 deductible (or $150, I cant remember.) That a month, so for 2 years it would cost $263 and some change PLUS the $199 deductible. For Squaretrade, its currently $80 plus only a $50 deductible if you need to use it. I make good money, but I also like to keep as much of it as I can. :D

yes sq trade is very affordable but it doesnt cover loss or theft. Just depends what important to you. To me, that is very. I also upgrade every 12 months so its $132 for me to insure it that year

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading all of the responses on here about SquareTrade and while I am convinced that this is a good warranty what concerns I have is this: I called them to get the actual info on how it works if i buy the warranty and I drop my phone and break the display. They told me I have to send it in after making a claim online or calling and they send me a prepaid label. They try and repair it within 5 days and if they can't my cost is waived but I would then have to go buy a new phone where they subsidize the cost up to full retail depending on what phone I buy... 16gb or 32 gb.

What concerns me is that I would for example have to come up with $599.00 for the 16gb and then they would reimbuse me. What if someone does not have that money? I am only asking. There are a few concerns I have about this so I hope someone will answer this thread and settle my concerns about how the warranty actually works.
They write you a check for the full retail and you take that money and buy a replacement.

As for not covering loss, I think of it like this: I've never lost a phone before and if I lose this one I have the "Where is my iPhone app" that works quite well.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
They write you a check for the full retail and you take that money and buy a replacement.

As for not covering loss, I think of it like this: I've never lost a phone before and if I lose this one I have the "Where is my iPhone app" that works quite well.

I agree with your comment about losing the phone, I have never lost a phone either.

They DO NOT write you a check and then you go and buy a phone. I said that I called and had a very extensive talk with a rep and asked alot of questions, You have to get the phone first and then submitt hem the receipt for reimbursement.

Just like when you buy the initial insurance you have to furnish them the receipt that you DID buy the phone.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your comment about losing the phone, I have never lost a phone either.

They DO NOT write you a check and then you go and buy a phone. I said that I called and had a very extensive talk with a rep and asked alot of questions, You have to get the phone first and then submitt hem the receipt for reimbursement.

Just like when you buy the initial insurance you have to furnish them the receipt that you DID buy the phone.
Well that sucks and is not how it works for other services of theirs. If you insure a large item with them and it breaks and they need to send a contractor out, Squaretrade pays them directly and you do not have to pay them.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well that sucks and is not how it works for other services of theirs. If you insure a large item with them and it breaks and they need to send a contractor out, Squaretrade pays them directly and you do not have to pay them.

Darth I agree but with everyone in the thread swearing by SquareTrade I had to call them and even though they are based in San Fran. I talked to a rep in the Philipeans and 2 different reps told me the same thing on what i posted on how it works with the iPhone 4.

You have 2 options, You send it to them prepaid and they find a service REPAIR center and if in 5 days they cannot fix it you pay nothing, then you can go buy another phone at full value of which at that time they will reimbuse you. I don't know about you but I don't have $600.00 floating around to cut loose until they reimburse me.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Darth I agree but with everyone in the thread swearing by SquareTrade I had to call them and even though they are based in San Fran. I talked to a rep in the Philipeans and 2 different reps told me the same thing on what i posted on how it works with the iPhone 4.

You have 2 options, You send it to them prepaid and they find a service REPAIR center and if in 5 days they cannot fix it you pay nothing, then you can go buy another phone at full value of which at that time they will reimbuse you. I don't know about you but I don't have $600.00 floating around to cut loose until they reimburse me.

Same here. I wouldn't have $749.99 + tax just laying around. Oh well, I guess if I ever need to use it I will just hope that they fix it. :)

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually ended up buying squaretrade yesterday because of that $81 price. I have 60 days to cancel for a full refund so I will probably end up doing that. Just want to have it in case anything happens in the next couple months.

mrsFAB

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I have always insured my iPhones with my insurance company. I have a seperate policy just for my phone. I insure them for the full retail price and I pay $40 per year... NO DEDUCTABLE!! That's what up!!

r0k

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I paid for AppleCare on my iPhone 4 but I think in the future I'll look for an alternative that includes loss and damage. I think the Verizon $12 a month insurance is too much, especially if it has a high deductible. I have the $6 plan on our kids' feature phones cuz they are constantly losing and breaking them but there is a limit to how many $50 replacements you can have. Our son helped us find this out. The last time one of their phones broke, I wound up buying a replacement on ebay for what it would have cost for the deductible on Verizon and there was no risk of having somebody back charge me for $599 because they ruled the damage "abuse" after I'd sent it in.

adamped92

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
well i did buy the sq insurance yesterday and after reading this thread i called them and bassically they told me 5 days for fix if its not fix i have to spend 730 that i dont have send them my recipt wait for them to refund me back, non the less that could take weeks, i went searching for information and find out that this happenes quite alot and sometimes they say the dont warranty that problem such as hardware failure even though it says on their site they do, but anyways i cancelled it and im going back to the verizon insurance due to the fact that i can walk in with a busted phone and walk out with a new or refurbished one, where with sq i would have to wait 5 days to even see anything resembling my phone, i dont know about you but i cant go 5 days without my phone

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
For the reimbursement what you could do is put it on a credit card and just immediately pay it off with the check. Still better than the Verizon rip-off IMO.