GPS Problems? anyone else?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I've read somewhere else on the boards that people are having some difficulty getting a solid GPS lock with their ViP. I tried searching with no results.

Problem:
Using Navigon... driving on the highway, it will display my speed for about 20 seconds, then intermittantly drop to zero, then back to my speed. once in a while it will loose the GPS fix completely and loose it for 30-60 seconds it seems.

attempted to fix:
i tried with and without power.. its an uncovered ViP that sits in a clamp style plastic holder on the dashboard, with unrestricted views of the sky through my windshield. I've also just completely a full restore prior to the problem occuring..

anyone have any idea?

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people have been having issues with navigon similar to what you are having there was a thread about it somewhere. Not sure what is up with it but maybe it has something to do with the app since so many people are having the issue with that app.

pratt733

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here

I have even exchanged my phone but the new one has the same problem. Just so you know, all gps apps have the same issue. Pay attention closely and you'll see other apps appear to freeze periodically.

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was just going to say the same thing. I have the same issue with Drive GPS, so it's not just Navcon. It's still useable though, for me. Only loses connection for a few seconds at a time, but it's annoying. I've found it's better when it's on the dash, but still not perfect. I use my GPS all day, everyday, so this feature is important to me. And so far, it's the one place where I can honestly say my old Droid performed better than the iPhone. The Droid never lost connection and had an excellent turn by turn navigation built in for free.

I'm sure given time, there will be a fix for this. Meantime, I'm going to try the Mapquest app and see how it works.

Brucejay

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the problem is with Navigon. Using an iPod (jailbroken) and a Holux 1000 GPS (Sirf III GPS Chip) with Navigon does not suffer the same issues. The problem appears to be either with the hardware or firmware in the iPhone.

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I just drove almost 1000 miles using MotionX Drive and had zero issues whatsoever. The program does say that it gets a stronger gps signal when it is plugged into an external power source. I had mine plugged in the whole time so maybe that is why I was fine.

Uplink

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon iPhone gets good GPS signal. I haven't had any problems with TomTom, though with Navigon, it keeps autozooming in and out every 5 seconds when I get around 40 mph :/

pratt733

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Seems as though every app I try has the same problem. I'm currently working with a senior tech at Apple to try to determine the cause of the problem.

Has anyone noticed that it seems to be the same locations where you lose GPS signal? In that case, I wonder if it has more to do with cell tower positioning than the GPS chip in the phone.

Your thoughts?

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Seems as though every app I try has the same problem. I'm currently working with a senior tech at Apple to try to determine the cause of the problem.

Has anyone noticed that it seems to be the same locations where you lose GPS signal? In that case, I wonder if it has more to do with cell tower positioning than the GPS chip in the phone.

Your thoughts?

Interesting. Yes. I have noticed the same thing. Always the same location where it gets lost. Typically a location between cell towers where I think there is a handoff. Clear open sky, so that isn't the problem. When using a navigation app such as MotionX GPS Drive, it virtually never loses the signal while actively navigating, but can lose in the same location when just tracking on the map. Wonder if this is an aGPS issue?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Yes. I have noticed the same thing. Always the same location where it gets lost. Typically a location between cell towers where I think there is a handoff. Clear open sky, so that isn't the problem. When using a navigation app such as MotionX GPS Drive, it virtually never loses the signal while actively navigating, but can lose in the same location when just tracking on the map. Wonder if this is an aGPS issue?

Sounds like someone in the vicinity of the location in question has a malfunctioning electronic device that is emitting an RF signal that's drowning out the GPS satellites... like maybe a bad amplifier in a cable TV system or something.

pratt733

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is really getting annoying. A $300 phone for which I woke up at 3am to buy shouldn't have this problem. I've now purchased every GPS app hoping to solve this myself. I've contacted both Apple and Verizon and I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't just a handful of phones having this problem. Is it possible that I got 2 bad phones?

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I am beginning to wonder if it is just Verizon iPhones (because we are on a different software OS than AT&T 4.2.1 vs. 4.2.6) or is it JB Verizon iPhones only.

Mine is a JB Verizon iPhone running 4.2.6 and it has the problem. Those who have the problem, tell us what you have. Those who DON'T have the problem, tell us what you have as well. Let's try to narrow it down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2