Smaller iPhone

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What are your thoughts of a smaller iPhone? If one were to happen, it may just as well be aimed at the pre paid market. Services like Boost, Vergin mobile (both owned by sprint) and Crickit. Or even ATT & Verizon's pre paid area. There are a lot of people who don't want to be on a two year contract and don't want to shell out $700 for a phone. If they can keep the cost down ($200-$250 unsubsidized) Apple could make a huge profet.

ahmadrashad

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What are your thoughts of a smaller iPhone? If one were to happen, it may just as well be aimed at the pre paid market. Services like Boost, Vergin mobile (both owned by sprint) and Crickit. Or even ATT & Verizon's pre paid area. There are a lot of people who don't want to be on a two year contract and don't want to shell out $700 for a phone. If they can keep the cost down ($200-$250 unsubsidized) Apple could make a huge profet.

They could, but I have a feeling that they'll release it WAY after the iPhone 5 so that it doesn't hit any sales of the much more profitable iPhone 5.

Neat I guess. Not something I would be interesting in though. Bring on the iPhone 5!

Its still a great idea to expand oversea sales too. I could see asian countries that Nokia dominates in eating this up too. I'd post an article that talks about this pretty well, but according to mods posting anything that isn't from their site is considered spamming.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Wont happen. Apple has said they don't feel they could make something worth buying at that price point.

I just don't see it happening either. I haven't seen Apple making cheaper products just to sell stuff. They will probably just stick to their current plans and keep reducing the prices of older versions as newer ones come out. Helps keep any iPhone affordable at all times.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will happen either, apple would never compromise the experience to offer a value device. Apple is a premium brand.

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it will happen either, apple would never compromise the experience to offer a value device. Apple is a premium brand.

Not entirely true. They did develop cheaper alternatives to the iPod, and the Nano is now $49. It seems to me, however, that as long as the iPhone 3GS is available at $49 w/a 2-year contract, they have their cheaper alternative.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 3GS is $49 along with the iPod shuffle. The nano starts off at $149 with the touch at $229 and the classic at $249. Didn't the iPods cost close to $500 when they first came out and that was for a device the thickness of a deck of playing cards, had 5GB of storage, a physical click wheel and used Firewire and had a monochrome display. Plus only worked with macs?

Also look at the apple TV. Its now just $99 or compare the price of an iPhone now, compared to when it first launched back in 2007 or a very good example of price drops is the notebooks. The macbook pro, for the longest time started off at $1999 and today you can pick one up for $1199 or just $1799 for the 15" model. and mind you while the macbook pro is aimed at professionals, its more like the iMac and is pretty much aimed at anyone regardless of the "pro" name.

You guys did bring up some very good points, but like I said, is one would be aimed at a whole another market much like how the iPods or even the macs are aimed at.

They have a low cost mac - The mac mini, why not the phone?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Original iPod was $399 iirc and yes was Mac only. I'm sure that Apple could come up with a lower cost alternative to the iPhone, the iPhone nano or something along those lines, but the question comes down to if it would be worth it to them to do so.

The smaller iPods are filling a need in the market, not really just a lower cost alternative, but a smaller alternative for those on the go, working out, etc. The nano and shuffle fill that need.

It's been suggested that the iPhone 4 costs approximately $190 in parts alone. That's not counting assembly, shipping and recuperation of r&d costs (which for any hardware and software vendor is significant ).

If Apple were to release a less expensive device, the major cost cutting parts are the screen, the flash memory, ram and processor. To deliver a less powerful device that would run slower and possibly have a difficult time multi-tasking with iOS 4.0+ would be egg on their face. Apple gets the carriers to subsidize th cost of the phone. Apple gets paid more than the $199 or $299 that is paid to ATT or verizon. With subsidized phones out there AND the fact some people go out of their way to pay the unsubsidized price, I dont see what apple would gain by making a smaller phone.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well think about this. As I said, it will be aimed at the pre paid market. Now those in that market tend to care less if it has a Retina display or fast memory or speed (somewhat on the speed though) all they want is a good qulity phone that can be in line with the high end phones you get on a contract, but for a much lower price. they don't want a flip, slider or candy bar style phone. They want a smart phone, but don't want to pay too much, not be on a two year contract. thats why Cricket, Boost and VErgin Mobile are having smart phone places for as low as $50-$60 bucks a month. Sure you may be placed on a slower network but hey, you saved money and thats all what the general consumer wants. Theres a reason why they chose to go pre paid and why those networks exist.

You brought up that some may go out and buy the iPhone outright, but you can't expect everyone to toss down $600. You have to look at the general popluation.

Yes, it will be smaller and less performing, but thats the price you pay for a low end product. If you don't want it, then go out and buy the "normal" iPhone. There would be a choice. I dobut the smaller iPhone will be available for the normal carriers.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't see Apple wanting to support a "lesser" device with new iOS versions. They discontinued support for the 2G and 3G already.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
apple will never do that with iPhone, this is the problem with RIM and Android OS ... too many versions using the same software

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
A smaller iPhone wont happen just like a 7" iPad wont happen. Apple makes premium products, once they make a cheap version of whatever it's a slippery slope and I don't see them going there. There are so many things Apple could do and make a crap load of money, they don't care because they already make a crapload of money.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
compare the price of an iPhone now, compared to when it first launched back in 2007

The first iPhone was not subsidized by AT&T. This is why everyone was able to upgrade to the 3G when it came out in 2008, which began the current pricing structure. Apple generally does the "these are our price points. They will rarely change, but each iteration will give you bigger/faster/more. And on occasion we will discount the prior gen(the one getting replaced) to exhaust inventory and have a lower pricepoint."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appbetalabs

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
This is something we probably will never see, but it is a good idea. To be honest, I like the iPhone size as it is but the price point is tough. It's what you pay for, Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2