Newbie to iPhones and have a few questions...........

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I hear about people jailbreaking there iPhones and Im just wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this with Verizon?

Also is there any themes or anything I should do? Im an ex-Blackberry user and knows everything about those but want to learn more about the iPhones and tips, etc would be great!

Thanks in advance.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There's a wealth of info linked on the main blog page about jailbreaking, starting with a post on 2/10 detailing the steps to jailbreak the Verizon iPhone. Theres no difference in the pros and cons to jailbreaking on Verizon vs AT&T. The key advantages of jailbreaking are that you can add various customizations to the UI, such as themes, alternate fonts, custom boot logos, and most importantly, helpful tweaks. You also get access to some useful apps like mywi, which allows tethering without paying verizon $20 monthly for the privilege. And SBSetting, which gives quick access to many settings. There's 2 jailbreak forums on the site as well. Reading through the info here will help a lot. When you're done looking through I'm sure you'll want to jailbreak.

Reactions: Alli

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
There's a wealth of info linked on the main blog page about jailbreaking, starting with a post on 2/10 detailing the steps to jailbreak the Verizon iPhone. Theres no difference in the pros and cons to jailbreaking on Verizon vs AT&T. The key advantages of jailbreaking are that you can add various customizations to the UI, such as themes, alternate fonts, custom boot logos, and most importantly, helpful tweaks. You also get access to some useful apps like mywi, which allows tethering without paying verizon $20 monthly for the privilege. And SBSetting, which gives quick access to many settings. There's 2 jailbreak forums on the site as well. Reading through the info here will help a lot. When you're done looking through I'm sure you'll want to jailbreak.

Thanks for your post. Ill checkout the jailbreak section tomorrow. Another question that Im wondering is once I jailbreak the phone I believe reading when a new OS comes out I believe it wont update or will cause issues? I think thats what it was can you confirm?

Thanks

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Simple answer - when you update, you lose the jailbreak. So if you jailbreak and want to stay that way, don't update until you read on TiPb that a new jailbreak is available.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Simple answer - when you update, you lose the jailbreak. So if you jailbreak and want to stay that way, don't update until you read on TiPb that a new jailbreak is available.

Ah....makes perfect sense! Ok how do I get started! :D One more question though....is there a way of messing up the phone if its done wrong and making the phone unusable?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There is a miniscule chance of actually bricking your phone. I don't actually know of anyone who has done so.

A number of people have panicky moments where they think they've bricked their iPhone, but they're always able to DFU restore.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73