First 96 hours - data use?

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So now that those of us who were among the first Verizon iPhone recipients have had a full four days with the device -- how much data have you used?

Most of Monday and Tuesday I was nearly 100% wifi. Wednesday-today from 7:30 - 5:30 have been 3G and the rest wifi.

So far? I have used a little over 900 MB. I stream a lot of radio (hometown stations, XM, ESPN) and watched about an hour on Netflix.
6151c034-c0f9-3eb7.jpg

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've used 114 MB since tuesday night. I'd send the screenshot I took but i can't figure out how to do that when accessing the forum from my iphone. Too bad the phone doesn't track wifi usage, because with all the apps I've downloaded I'm sure I've easily done triple or quadruple the cellular data on wifi. And that cell data is really high for me. With the blackberry storm my biggest usage in a month was about 110 MB, but over the last year typically I've used 30-35 MB per month. So right now I'm on pace to do more than ten times that. Amazing how much data I can use now that I've got a phone that accesses the web snappily.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've used 114 MB since tuesday night. I'd send the screenshot I took but i can't figure out how to do that when accessing the forum from my iphone. Too bad the phone doesn't track wifi usage, because with all the apps I've downloaded I'm sure I've easily done triple or quadruple the cellular data on wifi. And that cell data is really high for me. With the blackberry storm my biggest usage in a month was about 110 MB, but over the last year typically I've used 30-35 MB per month. So right now I'm on pace to do more than ten times that. Amazing how much data I can use now that I've got a phone that accesses the web snappily.

This!

I had a crappy Samsung Rogue with a slow/ lame/ not very useful web browser and I rarely even used a few MB. Now I am on Safari for everything! "What is the phone number for XXX restaurant? Safari. When is the Daytona 500? Safari. What does CDMA actually stand for? Safari. It is really great! :D

ddnichols7

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
When wifi is activated at same time as 3g service, and you connect to a wifi signal, once logged onto safari does the wifi pick it up or the 3g?

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ddnichols7: the phone will try to connect to wifi before trying a cellular data connection. So if you have an active wifi connection, the phone will use it. You can test this with the my Verizon app, as that app as of now will not work over wifi.

Mark

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Sent: 70.7MB
Received: 860 MB

It made me laugh. With my Blackberry, in the first 20 days of the billing cycle, I had used 17 MB. In the first 12 hours with the iPhone, I used 233!! Woot woot ViP4!!

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Since January 7:

Sent: 214 MB
Received: 2.4 GB

Netflix is a killer, or anything that streams for that matter. Hope I don't end up in the top 5% of data users and get throttled as I could not stand anything less than 3G since I don't have access to ANY type of highspeed where I live. I would think the top 5% would blow our minds with their data usage.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Since January 7:

Sent: 214 MB
Received: 2.4 GB

Netflix is a killer, or anything that streams for that matter. Hope I don't end up in the top 5% of data users and get throttled as I could not stand anything less than 3G since I don't have access to ANY type of highspeed where I live. I would think the top 5% would blow our minds with their data usage.

WOW!! If that's your average usage and not your beginner's usage, you'll be over 10 GB for the month. That may place you in the top 5%! I would guess most users peak in the first few days of receiving their phone but then level off a bit.

Streaming video is a killer. Depending on the app, streaming audio won't get you in too much trouble.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
WOW!! If that's your average usage and not your beginner's usage, you'll be over 10 GB for the month. That may place you in the top 5%! I would guess most users peak in the first few days of receiving their phone but then level off a bit.

Streaming video is a killer. Depending on the app, streaming audio won't get you in too much trouble.

Yeah, I do use MyWi but I don't download anything. I just check mail, pay bills, etc. No streaming with MyWi either so I was kind of shocked to see my usage so high in such a short amount of time.

As I said though, 5% of users is A LOT but I feel those users' data usage would absolutely blow our mind. The people who tether on Android and now the iPhone without paying and constantly download torrents/stream movies/online gaming. That is who I feel they are going after. If I hit 10GB a month using an UNLIMITED plan b/c I love my phone and use it to fit my needs I will be forced to go back to Sprint :(:( I used between 8-14GB a month and it was a never a problem. This is only b/c I live outside of high speed net access which sucks X10000000000000!!

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The people who tether on Android and now the iPhone without paying and constantly download torrents/stream movies/online gaming. That is who I feel they are going after. If I hit 10GB a month using an UNLIMITED plan b/c I love my phone and use it to fit my needs I will be forced to go back to Sprint :(:( I used between 8-14GB a month and it was a never a problem.

You're probably right. Didn't think about the rooted/jailbroken phones that tether constantly and drive up usage. Good point!

So long as you're using your phone in its intended way, I wouldn't worry.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know there were places that still don't have access to high-speed :(

That stinks!

It does stink. There isn't a map that's available yet, but the FCC/administration is working on creating a map that shows where broadband is available in the US and at what speed.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know there were places that still don't have access to high-speed :(

That stinks!

No kidding! It's horrid! I lived in Memphis (in the city) while I was in college and now I live out in a more country area and definitely no high speed. I am literally 5 miles away from cable access but they refuse to expand. One good thing about Obama is that he promotes internet access and expansion. We are far behind in speeds and accessibility in comparison to European countries.