Number 1 iPhone problem, SMS pop up

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
In my mind anyhow, that is the biggest problem with the phone. I see no way to disable the stupid text message pop up. I can see so many ways that could be a bad thing. It is a HUGE oversight IMO that Apple hasn't addressed this and allowed you to turn it off. The possibilities for problems with it are endless:

Lets say I'm letting my 6 year old son play Angry Birds. And one of my buddies sends me a dirty joke. Boom, it's right in his face.

Lets say I have my phone sitting on my desk at work that guy in the next office wants to screw with me so while my boss is standing there he sends me a message that says "We've received your resume." Or something like that.

Lets say I'm showing my buddies at the bar a picture or something on my phone and all of the sudden I get a text from my wife in which she calls me by an embarrassing pet name. Now all my buddies are calling me snooky-wookums for the rest of my life.

Lets say my dad is looking over my phone and I get a text from grandma saying "The test results came back, I'm carrying your baby."

Ok, the above scenarios are all fake. I don't have a son, I work from home, my wife is more likely o call me a**hole than snookums and my grandparents are all dead. But you get my point. It s a HUGE privacy issue to just have the contents of your text messages pop open on your phone at anytime for all to see.

And so far, that is my number 1 problem with switching to the iPhone.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. File under the category of "Notifications," and the way ALL of them are handled, and the lack of customization -- it's surprising that through two major revisions (iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4) this problem still exists. Maybe in iOS 5 they'll get it right(er)?

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In my mind anyhow, that is the biggest problem with the phone. I see no way to disable the stupid text message pop up. I can see so many ways that could be a bad thing. It is a HUGE oversight IMO that Apple hasn't addressed this and allowed you to turn it off. The possibilities for problems with it are endless:

Lets say I'm letting my 6 year old son play Angry Birds. And one of my buddies sends me a dirty joke. Boom, it's right in his face.

Lets say I have my phone sitting on my desk at work that guy in the next office wants to screw with me so while my boss is standing there he sends me a message that says "We've received your resume." Or something like that.

Lets say I'm showing my buddies at the bar a picture or something on my phone and all of the sudden I get a text from my wife in which she calls me by an embarrassing pet name. Now all my buddies are calling me snooky-wookums for the rest of my life.

Lets say my dad is looking over my phone and I get a text from grandma saying "The test results came back, I'm carrying your baby."

Ok, the above scenarios are all fake. I don't have a son, I work from home, my wife is more likely o call me a**hole than snookums and my grandparents are all dead. But you get my point. It s a HUGE privacy issue to just have the contents of your text messages pop open on your phone at anytime for all to see.

And so far, that is my number 1 problem with switching to the iPhone.

If you are at work shouldn't you be working and not playing on your phone??
and actually you can turn it off go into settings> messages> and turn show preview off and all it does is show the persons name who sent the message and that you have a text message.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
and actually you can turn it off go into settings> messages> and turn show preview off and all it does is show the persons name who sent the message and that you have a text message.

But what if their name is Dick Hertz? Or Seymour Butts? What then?!? :rolleyes:

Reactions: BLiNK

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Not in my job. No. I can play on my phone as much as I please. But as I said before, that was just an example. And in my example, I wasn't "playing with my phone" It was sitting on my desk. Which is pretty legal in even the strictest office environments, I'm sure.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but those things you listed are a bit absurd. I can come up with a bunch of far fetched scenarios too about any phone. Say I place a Droid X next to a vial of Nitroglycerin that reacts to light and the mail notification LED comes on! Boom! We all die! I honestly think people are trying to find reasons to dislike this phone, and nitpicking.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But what if their name is Dick Hertz? Or Seymour Butts? What then?!? :rolleyes:

Yeah well what if you keep coming up with stupid names and scenarios that arent going to happen. It doesnt show your message which is what you were complaining about I mean if you hate the iphone so much take it back get something else then you can label your contacts with all the stupid ass names you want and dont have to worry about your nerd group seeing the one person who texts you. smh

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but those things you listed are a bit absurd. I can come up with a bunch of far fetched scenarios too about any phone. Say I place a Droid X next to a vial of Nitroglycerin that reacts to light and the mail notification LED comes on! Boom! We all die! I honestly think people are trying to find reasons to dislike this phone, and nitpicking.

It seems to me that if you say ANYTHING negative about the iPhone, some folks are just going to resist it. Yes, my scenarios are far fetched. I think at the end of my post, I even said they were far fetched. The point isn't that I thought the scenarios could or would happen. The point was, that was something *I* don't like about the iPhone. Not that I hate the iPhone or want to return it. We're on a forum about the iPhone where people come to share ideas and input. I'm not trying to find reasons to dislike the phone. I like the phone, look at some of my other posts. I think I actually say the words "I like the phone" in several of them.

Nitpicking? Maybe. But no more so than the rest of the forum nitpicks over what case is the best, or to jailbreak or not to, or which wallpaper looks coolest. I thought this community was about discussing the iPhone and exchanging ideas in hope of constantly improving the experience. Turns out I was wrong. I guess I should only post to say "OMG!!!1 The iPhone is is best thing to ever happen in my life. Evar!!1

I posted one minor thing I dislike about the phone. Not that the phone sucks and I'll be returning it. I guess I shouldn't have posted something so negative and meaningless. I'll stop now so everyone can get back to something important like the one millionth "uboxing" video.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not in my job. No. I can play on my phone as much as I please. But as I said before, that was just an example. And in my example, I wasn't "playing with my phone" It was sitting on my desk. Which is pretty legal in even the strictest office environments, I'm sure.

Well if you are working, you should be working. Not playing with your phone. After all they are paying you to do service for them, not for you to be playing with your phone.

then make sure the notifcations is turned off.

But question. How old are your friends

Yeah. Like that will happen WITH your bosss standing there.

and? They are just having fun. Thats what friendship is all about. You know they will be joking.

A grandma using a phone to text? HA.

and your dad and his mom had a kid? :eek:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have the message preview turned off so that helps a lot to only show the name of the text.
One thing I don't like though is when I'm with a girl and I get the SMS popup. If the phone's
not in my pocket it's somewhere in her sight. I've had to resort to renaming other girl's in my
phone so I don't have this problem.

Reactions: tourstagefan

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Well if you are working, you should be working. Not playing with your phone. After all they are paying you to do service for them, not for you to be playing with your phone.

All due respect, but you don't really know me, or what my job is. Not everyone works in the same way. I don't get paid hourly for what I do. Or even salary. My time is my own. When I'm not actually in the presence of a client, I'm not getting paid by anyone. I can be playing with my phone, or playing video games or posting to this forum like I am now or dancing for money at a truck stop. Point is, I don't have a job where between the hours of 9 and 5, someone is paying me and getting ripped off when I'm goofing off. I have the freedom to goof off at my discretion.

My point wasn't that I'd like to play with my phone at work. I clearly stated twice that I was speaking of my phone laying on my desk, not in my hands playing Cut the Rope instead of working.

then make sure the notifcations is turned off.

I'd love to, but I don't have the option. I can only turn off the message preview.

But question. How old are your friends

Most of them range from late 20's to 40's. I'm in my mid 30's. We're all old enough to tell dirty jokes.

Yeah. Like that will happen WITH your bosss standing there.

I can't tell if I'm being unintentionally obtuse, or what. My point isn't that it would happen. My point was that it could happen.

and? They are just having fun. Thats what friendship is all about. You know they will be joking.

Right and I'm cool with that. Again, they were just goofy made up scenarios I came up with in hopes to illustrate my point in a somewhat humorous way.

A grandma using a phone to text? HA.

Yes. They've been known to do that. Texting isn't so hard that only tech savvy young people are able to figure it out.

and your dad and his mom had a kid? :eek:

Umm, no. It was a joke. And in the joke it was actually my grandmother and me having the kid. Again, it was a humorous attempt to make my point. My point being that yes, I understand I can keep the phone in my pocket. Or I can keep it in the trunk of my car. I can even bury it in a mason jar in the backyard and all those things would prevent me from seeing my text message pop up screen. BUT, I would prefer to have a little button that just turns the pop up off. The the phone can just beep or whatever and let me know I have a text without putting a pop up right in the middle of my Cut the Rope game or whatever. I honestly don't see all the resistance to this idea. I'm not saying the phone is garbage. I just thought I'd share wit the forum one minor thing I'd like to see changed. I realize not everyone agrees with me, but sheesh. Calling into question my work ethic or the maturity level of my friends isn't called for. I apologize for ruffling feathers. I wasn't trying to cause problems. I really only thought I was starting a discussion about what I thought was a minor problem in the hopes of hearing about how other people feel about it and deal with it. Apparently it's only a problem for me.

alexponential

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

LOL you're really asking someone on THESE boards about playing with their phone at work? All these guys have been doing is going on here speculating/discussing/reviewing the new iPhone, regardless of work, and some even took off of work to get it and play with it.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah well what if you keep coming up with stupid names and scenarios that arent going to happen. It doesnt show your message which is what you were complaining about I mean if you hate the iphone so much take it back get something else then you can label your contacts with all the stupid ass names you want and dont have to worry about your nerd group seeing the one person who texts you. smh

Um, I wasn't complaining or coming up with any scenarios, and I tried to make a funny joke but failed (sorry about that). What's your problem?

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Then change their name in your contacts...

Names only come up if you have them in your contacts, just like any other phone.

If you're that concerned, buy a belt holster and keep your phone there.

Sorry - I guess :rolleyes: != "/sarcasm." Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the message preview turned off so that helps a lot to only show the name of the text.
One thing I don't like though is when I'm with a girl and I get the SMS popup. If the phone's
not in my pocket it's somewhere in her sight. I've had to resort to renaming other girl's in my
phone so I don't have this problem.

Well if you arent honest and are talking to a bunch of girls and are being shady no matter what you do will help.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet (and it's been so long that I don't remember it myself), but doesn't BiteSMS have the ability to not show notifications? I know you have the ability to choose between Bite and default notifications, but I can't remember if it has the ability to turn them off altogether.

Of course, you'd have to jailbreak and pay ($8, I think) for BiteSMS, but it's a nice program.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner