I don't find the SMS alerts a problem.
    Obviously many people do, however - otherwise programs like BiteSMS wouldn't exist. Nor would this thread, either.

If they don't show up, you would never know to check for new messages.
    Then why does the little red numerical icon show up on the SMS box to indicate how many you have?

Frankly, that's all I want or need from my phone - the obtrusive, front-and-center "ACKNOWLEDGE ME NOW!!" mid-screen notification is unnecessary and bothersome.
    02-18-2011 12:35 AM
    When I receive email, I get a notification on my iPhone. The email is not automatically opened and displayed on my phone. If it did, I would have to close it to get to my home screen. What nitsuj is saying, why can't SMS come in the same manner. Leave out privacy concerns, leave out awkward situations, leave out the naughty girlfriend photos (forward those to me). The simple question is, why is just a simple notification not an option like you get with email? Would anyone find it convenient to have their email open and on their phone display as soon as it arrives instead of opening the email manually? Well, it might be convenient but I prefer to open it manually at a time when it may be more convenient to read it. I believe this is a very valid concern and feel this may be addressed by Apple if brought to their attention.
    02-18-2011 07:00 AM
    Well as I have heard can't you toggle what is shown on your home screen via text? I thought I read somewhere that you can have it to show just the senders name not the message. I may be wrong but I thought I read it around TiPb somewhere.
    02-18-2011 01:17 PM
    Well as I have heard can't you toggle what is shown on your home screen via text? I thought I read somewhere that you can have it to show just the senders name not the message. I may be wrong but I thought I read it around TiPb somewhere.
    yes you can make it show just the name but that is still too much for those on here *****ing about it
    02-18-2011 04:10 PM
    i set my text setting up to just show the name, not the message
    02-18-2011 04:15 PM
    i set my text setting up to just show the name, not the message
    Yeah, that would be Settings> Messages> Show Preview "Off".
    02-18-2011 04:25 PM
    yes you can make it show just the name but that is still too much for those on here *****ing about it

Right. Aside from any privacy issues, which I won't go back into, there is still the pop up issue. If I'm playing a game, or in the middle of a text to someone else, or doing whatever, I hate getting a pop up that I have to interact with before I can continue what I'm doing. If I'm writing this post, it would suck if I got a pop up I had to dismiss before I could continue. If I got 3 emails in the span of writing this, and I had to stop and click "dismiss" or "reply" before I could get back to this post, that would be really annoying and I'd be looking for a setting in my email program to to stop it. Pop ups suck in all forms.

It's a personal thing. Obviously, some folks are bothered by it, others are not. It would be nice if it were a setting in the stock OS so we could all set it how we want. It's a rather glaring option omission in my opinion. Luckily, there is a fix. It's a shame Apple hasn't addressed it.
    02-18-2011 05:47 PM
    Oh, I am betting that Apple is reviewing these posts and that they will come up with fixes in the near future. Most of these "observations" originated through Blackberry or Android systems and have never been seen, "thought of" by Apple. They want to stay competitive, so they will adapt soon. Give 'em time.
    02-19-2011 07:47 AM
    Nobody from Apple reviews these posts. If you have feature requests or suggestions, there is a link on Apple's website for them.

People have been complaining about this (and the lack of sms/email sound customisability) since the original iPhone. Apple's priorities are not the same as those of the users.
    02-19-2011 09:53 AM
    This thread made my day. I almost went and made some popcorn - this thread is better than a lot of crap in theaters nowadays

In topic, I PERSONALLY much prefer the popup because I mainly use the phone to communicate. For me, I love being able to read the text as it comes, decide whether I wanna reply or wait until later, and not have the damn flashing LED in my face ( a la my old Blackberry). I can DEFINITELY agree with you, though. I know I'm in the minority haha (I also caught the humor in your first post, so I KNOW I'm in the minority ;D). I don't think the problem is the popup so much, but that there's no option to NOT HAVE the popup.

But hey, it took Apple till the latest big OS to get multitasking... I'm sure the improved Notifications will come... Eventually...
    03-16-2011 07:17 PM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD