Why there were no lines for IPHONE at Verizon Stores

tfalsetta#IM

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to start a thread about why there were not lines of people waiting to buy the Iphone at Verizon.

Just my 2 cents..

I am seeing mostly existing VZ users converting over to the Iphone?I think most of these users are Droid & Blackberry users?.

I am not seeing many AT&T users going over to IPHONE VZ or at least not yet?I think this is for two/three reasons

1. The number one reason is I think AT&T will get the Iphone-5 in July..(iphone-5 is suppose to be bigger?kinda like the droid) So AT&T Geeks are waiting to for that.
2. AT&T IPHONE users are use to the Surf & talk feature and don?t want to give this up?
a. If you never had this feature you will never miss it?So existing VZ users won?t miss it.
3. And the 3rd believe it or not the AT&T network dropped calls have improved (in the right direction).
a. I use to drop probably 20% if my calls & now I rarely drop a call.
i. VZ is still a better network but AT&T is now Antiquate?
I don?t think the issues around who is faster will play a role at all?.

? I think the biggest winner hear is APPLE
o I just don?t think VZ will get too many AT&Ters switching over at this time?..

? The biggest Losers will be Blackberry & Droid
o Blackberry will be a loser because they are losers that have not come out with a successful product to compete with the Iphone/Droid.
 I give them 5 years and they will be like a Nortel?
o Droid I think will also be a loser because I am hearing the Iphone is performing better on the VZ network then the Droid?..

Comments please

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I think that the majority of people who wanted an iphone on Verizon bought their's last week, as evidenced by the sales numbers. I think people who really wanted an iphone and didn't care about carrier already had done so. I think a large amount of people who tried an android phone on Verizon will continue to keep their android phone and wait until the summer for iphone 5. Speaking from personal experience, I bought my wife and myself iphones this week. She never had a smart phone before and loves her iphone, I returned mine today because I found Android works better for me -- mail, schedule management, and travel. I wish the build quality of Android phones was as good as the iphone, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make for the os that works better for me. I don't think Android's numbers are going to be hurt very much by the iphone 4 on Verizon. If Apple changes some things around for the summer, with the release of iphone 5, then those numbers could be impacted significantly.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Kinda discussed this yesterday in the below thread:

http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-forum/206291-verizon-launch-celebration-nobody-shows-up-2.html

Here are my thoughts

1) It was already available for preorder. Most of the people that really wanted one right now were VZW users and most likely ordered online

2) It's 8 months old. So it's unlikely AT&T users will switch for this. Most of them can wait a few months and then make a decision

3) Many VZW users sitting on their upgrade to see what's coming this summer

4) In the past AT&T users didn't have many options of high end devices to compete with the iPhone so they were less content with their devices. More VZW users are content as they have had high end Androids for a while so that affects how much they desire something different.

5) IT'S COLD AS CRAP OUTSIDE IN MANY PARTS OF THE COUNTRY. Why stand in line when I can order it online and get it?

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The preorders I feel are a huge reason they had small lines. I mean they supposedly sold a million or so in preorders I mean and when they were predicting to sell 5-6 million the entire year the one million is a lot for just current customers. At&t didnt allow preorders which is why they had huge lines

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The fact that Verizon set a record for sales should not be forgotten. Get rid of the presales and most of us are waiting on a HUGE friggin line. You have to compare APPLES to APPLES (hehe). Verizon would have gotten a little more press if they held it to Apple and Verizon in store only. I am happy they didnt.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Pre-orders definitely took a huge chunk out of potential line-waiters, but I think VZ totally overestimated the number of people who would switch to their network for a phone they might already have.

I heard they opened a whole bunch of temporary stores just for the iPhone. Seems like a tremendous cost for the company if they didn't think that they would have huge numbers of incoming subscribers.

I think you're right, though. People who are already under contract are willing to wait for the iPhone 5 this summer. Most people, especially in this economy, are not willing or able to pay a potential $350 cancellation fee and then another up to $300 for a new phone. Most are just willing to wait for summer and either pick up an iPhone 4 for perhaps $100 cheaper, or buy the iPhone 5 for the same $300.

jetsitty

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was prepared to drive a couple of hours to the nearest Verizon store and wait a few hours. But when I found out they were taking pre-orders for existing customers I figured what was the point! So I stayed up a few hours later and pre ordered, and I haven't looked back! Coming from an Android Incredible it feels good to be able to actually use my phone and not worry about battery life!!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My comment from the thread already posted above

Yup, I happened to be reading an article on this too.
Verizon iPhone Off to a Slow Start - Yahoo! Finance

I think a small portion of this is due to the fact that more people who were
already on Verizon were the ones waiting for this launch. Most of those people
who had an upgrade took care of themselves last week.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
it feels good to be able to actually use my phone and not worry about battery life!!

Who you telling!? I had the iPhone 4 when it came out on AT&T and I was using the 3GS which has battery life comparable to high end Androids so the 4 was a breath of fresh air. Then I changed carriers and all the Droids I used since then: X, Incredible and EVO all just had piss poor battery life. Gotta tweak settings and worry about killing apps and stuff.

I learned to live with it but everyday you're worrying about making sure you can get through the day. And my wife she doesn't like dealing with the tweaks so it was killing her when we switched. When we got our iPhone back on Monday, she went to work and forgot the extra USB cable and had no worries and made it through and came home with plenty left. It really is a breath of fresh air. I mean you can learn to live without great battery life but having once less thing to worry about is always a good thing ESPECIALLY on a media centric device like the iPhone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I personally think because its a 8 months old phone. Many are probably waiting for June for the 5. I would have waited too.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So do you even have a verizon iphone? Pretty sure you said you had an at&t iphone so if thats true why are you in this forum?

You realize the Vzn forum is just temp? You will need to learn to communicate with all iPhone users. I like to talk iPhone. Is that ok with you? or do I need your permission to post in here? Kiss my a$$ dude ;)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You realize the Vzn forum is just temp? You will need to learn to communicate with all iPhone users. I like to talk iPhone. Is that ok with you? or do I need your permission to post in here? Kiss my a$$ dude ;)

Wash your face and we'll take our choice, dude... :eek: :confused:

Really, now... all you do is come here and carp that "It's an 8 moth old phone..." - well, not really. It has a different radio chipset, and a different antenna design - so, if you want to be truly accurate, it's an enhanced for CDMA variety of an 8 month old phone...

And It's my hope this forum becomes a Verizon-Carrier forum, where eventually things like plans, and Verizon specific things will be discussed, and hardware & OS discussions can go to the iPhone4 forum.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I know it is temporary but all you do is downtalk the iphone like all of your posts are the same. smh ha

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Wash your face and we'll take our choice, dude... :eek: :confused:

Really, now... all you do is come here and carp that "It's an 8 moth old phone..." - well, not really. It has a different radio chipset, and a different antenna design - so, if you want to be truly accurate, it's an enhanced for CDMA variety of an 8 month old phone...

And It's my hope this forum becomes a Verizon-Carrier forum, where eventually things like plans, and Verizon specific things will be discussed, and hardware & OS discussions can go to the iPhone4 forum.

Im stating why I believe there are no lines. Many people are have it. Lines will be a different story when the 5 comes out. Many people I know with Vzn are holding out. This really wasnt a suprise. And I will post anywhere I want. Thank you and have a nice day :D

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I know it is temporary but all you do is downtalk the iphone like all of your posts are the same. smh ha

I love the iPhone. Ive had the 3G, 3GS, i4. I just state my opinion why I believe something does or does not happen. Thank you and have a nice day :D

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
^^ troll he says the same thing in ever thread he posts its an 8 month old blah blah blah. Maybe stay on topic in the other threads and dont spew the same bs you do in every post.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I have AT&T too...

This is a forum for iPhone users, not just Verizon users. The iPhone is a global entity.

I post here to help people because I was helped when I first got my phone. Share the wealth, pass it on, whatever you want to call it.

I stated my reasons for the short/nonexistent lines earlier, but I do believe that internet pre-orders for existing subscribers helped out a LOT.

BTW, the phone truly is 8 months old...they've done teardowns on it and there are only very minor changes between the Verizon version and the version the rest of us have had access to for the better part of a year. CDMA (dual mode, actually) chipset and moving a couple of things around so it would fit...that's it. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy you got the phone. Competition between carriers can only mean good things for us as consumers; but please don't act like it's brand new...it's not.

Reactions: Garz

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
^^ troll he says the same thing in ever thread he posts its an 8 month old blah blah blah. Maybe stay on topic in the other threads and dont spew the same bs you do in every post.

If you dont like my post, just ignore them. Its not rocket science. :rolleyes: You took this thread off topic calling me out. Now lets move on now :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro