Help with decision please

crwmlw#IM

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok I have the Droid Incredible and my wife has Samsung Fascinate, as much as we love these phones we have always wanted the iphone like most others. I have been a mac guy for a few years now. I have the Imac, Macbook, Ipod Touch 4th Gen, Apple TV Etc. I think the iphone would complete my collection and everything will play nice together, other than that Im not sure what people are thinking after getting the iphone from an incredible? Can anyone help me out?

RobbyRob

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I came to iPhone from the htc Evo and I do not regret it. All the apps are richer than the android ones and I can use my phone very heavy for the whole day and the battery life is still there. All I can say is if you like very well programed apps and OS that just works without being super nerd then make the switch

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I went to AT&T, but I went from a Droid Incredible to an iPhone. I need a GSM phone, hence AT&T. Otherwise, I still would have gotten the iPhone on Big Red.

The iPhone is more closed off than Android, but you get a richer, more satisfying user experience. The apps are better designed, as well. You get a cohesive user experience, much like you don the Mac.

There are some major pros. The screen on the iPhone 4 is amazing. The extra pixels make all the difference. The soft keyboard is 100x better. It actually works very well as a phone, and the camera is top-notch for a cell phone

The one con that I have, is that there is no Google Maps Navigation app (yet) for the iOS. I didn't realize how dependent I was on that app. Motion-X Drive is a decent replacement, for $.99, but I'm still holding out hope for the Google nav app.

In short, get yourself and your wife iPhones. You will be happy.

robyj

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Mac guy as well. Switched from the Droid X and I can't put the IPhone down. iOS is so smooth compared to android. I'd say buy the iPhone and complete your collection.

crwmlw#IM

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot

You helped me a lot. I was hoping I would find someone who came from an android based device. I have had android over the past year and thats what Im used too as far as a mobile device device goes. I never had a chance to play with the Iphone because im on Verizon, better service where Im at. I appreciate all the feedback. Now the hardest part is getting the Iphone 4 now or waiting a few more months and seeing what happens with the iphone 5.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought an iphone yesterday, since having the original droid from day one and then the incredible on the day it was released. I posted this on another site but it is still applicable here:

I had to satiate my tech fix, so I went out and bought an iphone from BB today. I bought the OG Droid on day 1, and the DINC when it was released. I really like the efficiency of the Android OS and sense, and have been looking forward to the Bolt, but thought I'd give the iOS thing a try after I bought my wife an iphone last week on VZW.

First thing I noticed: I was the only one at Best Buy at 8:30am, they told me they had sold a few iphones but not that many, might be because they were charging a $100 premium over what Apple sells the phone off contract for at Apple stores ($699 vs $599 for a 16GB version). I then went over to VZW to get a case because I get a 25% discount there on accessories. There were more people in the store but it was not busy by any means. I did see quite a few people switch from AT&T who owned iphones and BBs. The reason I bring this up is because I think the main rush or demand was last week, with all the current subscribers picking up the phone they've lusted for already. This might bode well for the Bolt because if demand isn't as great for the iphone as they thought it would be, they might try to get the Bolt out to market sooner.

Some quick observations about the iphone from a non-fanboy: The hardware is excellent and feels like a fine watch with extremely tight tolerances. The retina display is superior to any screen I've seen in the past including super amoled and slcd. It makes my DINC feel cheap somehow. I miss not typing my gmail account it and having everything automatically pop up. There are much more steps to accomplish the same thing on iOS compared to Android. I used a widget for my calendar on Android, on iOS I have to go into the App, it's a very pop in/pop out type of experience.
I really like skype and facetime. I'm a physician who works pretty long hours at times, and it's really nice to see and talk to my kids rather than just on the phone. I miss the android google maps app. Games are superior on the iphone as is the camera (I own a Canon 5D Mark II so I know a little about photography). The vibrate is weaker on the iphone.

I'll probably wind up switching to the bolt once it's released because I'm in a LTE area, but I'll play around with the iphone to give it a fair shot until then.

Later on:
So I've had the iphone for just over 14 hours now and I've decided I'll be returning it tomorrow. The build quality and screen are truly second to none, and yhe market is far superior, but it isn't an efficient enough os for me. I like having my information as widgets and having full access to google's services, especially the search button. I'll miss the excellent camera and skype (hopefully to be on the thunderbolt soon). I would describe the iphone 4 as the nicest simple smartphone available and may look into purchasing the next version if they add widgets. My wife is still keeping hers and absolutely loves it. Android seems to be for power users and ios for average consumers.

Reactions: tourstagefan

crwmlw#IM

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Dont know what to do

Thanks everyone for all the advise. I was on android central forums and there are so many mixed reviews of people coming from an android to an iphone that my head is now spinning out of control. I dont know what the hell to do!!!!! Seems to be a lot of positive and negative

Ifangirl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Droid Eris to a Droid X. Although I love my Droid X, the Iphone 4 experience has been awesome. It is definetly a richer experience. I think that you should try the Iphone for yourself. You will have 14 days to decide if you like it or not. The apps on the Droid don't even compare to the apps on the Iphone!!!! Try It!!!!

jrv331

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I came from the Incredible to the Iphone. I love my Iphone, for me the media plays better. I used to get lag on some of my streaming media with the incredible. Smooth as silk on the Iphone. I love the way the Ihone looks.

I love the fact that I can go 8 hrs and still have a decent battery life left,with the Incredible I was always plugged in or carrying a spare battery. For my job there are more app on Apple that android.

Now with that being said I absolutely hate the the Iphone for its lack of customization. I hate that I cant add my own notifications unless jailbreaking. If you want to tinker with out rooting or jailbreaking stay with the incredible, if those things dont matter go with the Iphone.

Just my opinion

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had an incredible and switched to the iphone and never looked back. Now I don't have to worry about my phone making it a whole day and the screen is amazing. The iphone is a great phone and if you do switch I'm sure you will really like it.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok I have the Droid Incredible and my wife has Samsung Fascinate, as much as we love these phones we have always wanted the iphone like most others. I have been a mac guy for a few years now. I have the Imac, Macbook, Ipod Touch 4th Gen, Apple TV Etc. I think the iphone would complete my collection and everything will play nice together, other than that Im not sure what people are thinking after getting the iphone from an incredible? Can anyone help me out?

I am a big Apple fan (see device list below) and am expecting my iPhone on Monday. Will post my initial impressions then.

I have had an Incredible since Day One and love the ability to customize every little thing on the Android OS. I will jailbreak the phone as soon as I receive it and see if it works for me.

crwmlw#IM

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again

Thanks again. I know I will miss the customization of the Incredible, but I just cant stop thinking of the iphone. You people are really helping me out and I appreciate it.

reyxlp

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am now one week into the iPhone 4 coming from the HTC Droid Incredible.

I started a comparison thread of these two phones in a thread over on AndroidCentral. I'll summarize below the main points that I and some others have made, or check the full thread here:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-incredible/58938-bb-9550-dinc-vzip4.html

iPhone 4 advantages...:

- Battery Life (but when it runs out, you can't swap in another)
- Physical Design
- Video Calling
- OS and GUI run smooth as silk
- Keyboard
- *Current* availability/selection of Apps (App Store has the most)
- Voicemail: *Only* Verizon phone that plays ONLY what you record in your greeting, without all the extra, standard Verizon greeting garbage
- Multi-tasking interface

DInc advantages...:

- Ability to swap in another battery (but you will need this because the battery life is terrible or -- with some tinkering -- barely adequate)
- Browser/Flash support = most complete web browsing experience
- Fast!!!
- Widgets
- Quality of Apps, especially those made by Google (Maps on DInc smokes Maps on the iPhone 4, plus integration with the Navigation App that gives real-time, turn-by-turn directions)
- *Future* availability/selection of Apps (Android Market will overtake App Store at it's current rate of growth)
- Notification Light!
- Customization - in EVERY sense. (Really, Apple? Just one tone for e-mail???)
- Screen/Display (AMOLED on mine - I know a lot of people say the iPhone 4's screen is unbeatable but my DInc's AMOLED screen is the clear winner for me when I hold them side-by-side)

I still haven't decided whether I will keep my iPhone 4 or return it within my 14 day window and either go back to the DInc or pick up the Thunderbolt.

Definitely, the iPhone 4 is a georgeous device and overall a great, smooth user experience but there are many things the DInc does better and the things I use it for it does faster than the iPhone 4.

At the end of the day, your best bet is to get your hands on one and try it out. You get 14 days to return it if you don't like it.

Right now I'm leaning towards going back to my DInc or checking the Thunderbolt, but I'm taking the full 14 days to decide and still have a week to go. The overall experience of the iPhone 4 definitely continues to grow on me, so we'll see...

Hope this helps!

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You also have to take into consideration that the thunderbolt screen wont be as nice as the amoled on the inc or the retina display on the iphone 4. But some like android better which is why we have choices for me I like the iphone os more than android and also the fact that you dont have to wait for updates, as soon as it is available you can download it and dont have to wait for carriers to update.

lenmac08#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm moving from Sprint to VZW tomorrow (my phone's in Louisville, KY right now) and a big decision was my location. My city will not have 4G for a while so i wanted the best 3G smartphone out there and despite hating to leave my $69.99 Sprint package, I know I'm getting a very good phone and OS.

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Both are great to be honest. I used just about any phone that's out there although, I think Ima stick with iPhone...not really sure why lol. Maybe its the apps hehe

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am now one week into the iPhone 4 coming from the HTC Droid Incredible.

I started a comparison thread of these two phones in a thread over on AndroidCentral. I'll summarize below the main points that I and some others have made, or check the full thread here:

BB 9550 --> DInc --> VZiP4...? - Android Forums

iPhone 4 advantages...:

- Battery Life (but when it runs out, you can't swap in another)
- Physical Design
- Video Calling
- OS and GUI run smooth as silk
- Keyboard
- *Current* availability/selection of Apps (App Store has the most)
- Voicemail: *Only* Verizon phone that plays ONLY what you record in your greeting, without all the extra, standard Verizon greeting garbage
- Multi-tasking interface

DInc advantages...:

- Ability to swap in another battery (but you will need this because the battery life is terrible or -- with some tinkering -- barely adequate)
- Browser/Flash support = most complete web browsing experience
- Fast!!!
- Widgets
- Quality of Apps, especially those made by Google (Maps on DInc smokes Maps on the iPhone 4, plus integration with the Navigation App that gives real-time, turn-by-turn directions)
- *Future* availability/selection of Apps (Android Market will overtake App Store at it's current rate of growth)
- Notification Light!
- Customization - in EVERY sense. (Really, Apple? Just one tone for e-mail???)
- Screen/Display (AMOLED on mine - I know a lot of people say the iPhone 4's screen is unbeatable but my DInc's AMOLED screen is the clear winner for me when I hold them side-by-side)

I still haven't decided whether I will keep my iPhone 4 or return it within my 14 day window and either go back to the DInc or pick up the Thunderbolt.

Definitely, the iPhone 4 is a georgeous device and overall a great, smooth user experience but there are many things the DInc does better and the things I use it for it does faster than the iPhone 4.

At the end of the day, your best bet is to get your hands on one and try it out. You get 14 days to return it if you don't like it.

Right now I'm leaning towards going back to my DInc or checking the Thunderbolt, but I'm taking the full 14 days to decide and still have a week to go. The overall experience of the iPhone 4 definitely continues to grow on me, so we'll see...

Hope this helps!

+1. I too, switched from a Droid Incredible and agree with everything noted above. I have had the iPhone for 24 hours and also plan to put it through its paces during the 14-day trial period.

I'm not sure about the member quoted above, but I already jailbroke mine to customize the iPhone the way I am accustomed to using a smartphone. I will also add a few observations of my own.

Pros:

1.) Better reception on the iPhone. There are numerous areas in my neighborhood where my Incredible had a very weak signal. The iPhone delivered clear calls that did not drop out. Also, it connects calls much faster than the Inc.

2.) Delivers the overall Apple experience. I have been a longtime user of MAC computers and love the little touches built-in to the iPhone. For instance, the "woosh" jet fighter tone that tells that an e-mail was sent successfully.

Cons:

1.) I miss the haptic feedback (keys that vibrate when pressed) on my Incredible. It really helps when typing on a touch screen. There is a jailbreak app available to enable haptic feedback, but I am having trouble buying it from the Cydia App store.

2.) The iPhone is a bit heavier, ~0.6g heavier than the Inc.

3.) In very loud environments (outdoors, at a bar, etc.), the iPhone earpiece volume and speaker at their highest settings are harder to hear than the Inc.

4.) The iPhone's vibrate motor is much weaker than the Inc.

5.) It may be a minor thing to some, but I really like/miss the optical joystick on the Inc., it allows you to precisely navigate to the spot you want when typing/editing.

6.) Jailbreaking and downloading apps to customize the phone is time-consuming. Many of the notification options (custom ringtones, SMS alerts, e-mail tones) are easily customizable right out of the box with an Android phone.

These are just initial observations from someone who is a big fan of the Android OS. However, I am leaning towards keeping my iPhone because the reception/signal strength is so much better (at least in my area) than my Inc.

Will post a follow-up after spending a full week with the phone.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro