Dropped Calls

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I do not want to rain on the parade, but I have been a Verizon user at least 6 years and never dropped a call no matter how far in the sticks I have driven on my job. Then all of a sudden about a month ago I started dropping every phone call I make or receive. Most of my neighbors have Verizon service too and they are all dropping calls. Called CS, we all have, and they end up calling us back in a few days reporting they have cleared up the problem. Yep, Right. Still dropping calls just not every one.

I was instructed to hit # # # send after each dropped call to mark it for the tech people. So I do, but I have not been irritated enough to call them back yet.

Went to the store in town and tried to get help, and was told, "Oh we are upgrading the towers to have more capacity for the new demand from the iPhone's It will clear up in a few days."

Personally, IMO, they are spending all their money on LTE to the detriment of the 3G network. Their idea of fixing it is to have a tech ping your local tower which fixes the problem for a few hours most of the time but they do not go to towers to see what is going on and troubleshoot the problems.

I would change carriers but this is the best of all of them in my area, so I am stuck. But seriously considering getting my land line back or a magic jack for the computer. Not sure how that would work because I have to use Hughes net for internet.

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
3 times since I turned the phone on (Monday) I've gotten the little circle where the 3G should be. I've still been able to use the internet but I haven been on the phone when it happens. They're all places that have great reception, and I tried the *228 thing twice and nothing happens. I hope this is a random problem and not something I'm going to have to deal with for the next 20 months. Other than that I really love this phone...hope I don't need to get rid of it!

HD_Dude#IM

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Dropped Calls Here in DC

I've had about 20 dropped calls since I got the Verizon iPhone yesterday.

Just dialed the *228...and in about a minute the screen message said 'Your Update is Now Complete"

Maybe that'll fix it.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I do not want to rain on the parade, but I have been a Verizon user at least 6 years and never dropped a call no matter how far in the sticks I have driven on my job. Then all of a sudden about a month ago I started dropping every phone call I make or receive. Most of my neighbors have Verizon service too and they are all dropping calls. Called CS, we all have, and they end up calling us back in a few days reporting they have cleared up the problem. Yep, Right. Still dropping calls just not every one.

I was instructed to hit # # # send after each dropped call to mark it for the tech people. So I do, but I have not been irritated enough to call them back yet.

Went to the store in town and tried to get help, and was told, "Oh we are upgrading the towers to have more capacity for the new demand from the iPhone's It will clear up in a few days."

Personally, IMO, they are spending all their money on LTE to the detriment of the 3G network. Their idea of fixing it is to have a tech ping your local tower which fixes the problem for a few hours most of the time but they do not go to towers to see what is going on and troubleshoot the problems.

I would change carriers but this is the best of all of them in my area, so I am stuck. But seriously considering getting my land line back or a magic jack for the computer. Not sure how that would work because I have to use Hughes net for internet.

Do you even have an iphone or are you just ranting? because nothing you said had anything to do with this iphone and dropping calls. Just saying.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally, IMO, they are spending all their money on LTE to the detriment of the 3G network.

They are adding capacity to cell towers all over the place to add capacity - and it's not just for LTE.

But seriously considering getting my land line back or a magic jack for the computer. Not sure how that would work because I have to use Hughes net for internet.
HugesNet would probably not be good for magic jack/voice at all due to 'ping times' and propagation delay.

Robgoodfellow

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Have lost count of the drops!

Here along the south Orange Cty coast in California I am dropping calls like crazy. Never had this problem, but suspect that it's the 3G coverage in this area. My old Moto Razr never dropped a call but that's 2G or EDG. And, some friends who have Driods on Verizon also have severe connections problems (some saying that they can only make a call from a certain spot in their yead or living room - bathroom?).

I got my phone on Monday so there were very few i imagine on in my area but even then trying to get to the right Verizon tech support was unacceptable - over an hour on hold one time - I gave up.

Earlier today I went to the Apple store in Mission Viejo and there were Verizon reps there. The Apple people took me over to them and they proceeded to expedite getting in touch with the right tech support. It took them about 20 mins but I did eventually speak with the right tech and she said that they would be investigating the issue in this area - doing all the technical analysis of call hand-off and signal issues. She also said that it might take up to 5 days to complete the analysis and they may even send a tech to my location.

This is a hilly area but 2G is rock solid here so if the 3G problem is for the moment un-fixable it's back to the old and I will have to wait yet again.

Sigh!

x2jag2x

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Here along the south Orange Cty coast in California I am dropping calls like crazy. Never had this problem, but suspect that it's the 3G coverage in this area. My old Moto Razr never dropped a call but that's 2G or EDG. And, some friends who have Driods on Verizon also have severe connections problems (some saying that they can only make a call from a certain spot in their yead or living room - bathroom?).

I got my phone on Monday so there were very few i imagine on in my area but even then trying to get to the right Verizon tech support was unacceptable - over an hour on hold one time - I gave up.

Earlier today I went to the Apple store in Mission Viejo and there were Verizon reps there. The Apple people took me over to them and they proceeded to expedite getting in touch with the right tech support. It took them about 20 mins but I did eventually speak with the right tech and she said that they would be investigating the issue in this area - doing all the technical analysis of call hand-off and signal issues. She also said that it might take up to 5 days to complete the analysis and they may even send a tech to my location.

This is a hilly area but 2G is rock solid here so if the 3G problem is for the moment un-fixable it's back to the old and I will have to wait yet again.

Sigh!
I'm in Southern Orange County also - Mission Viejo/Irvine area. I'm not having trouble with dropped calls per say, but I'm having a bigger problem - my phone keeps going from full service to NO service and back (almost at random). No in between. Verizon is looking to problems in the area just like you said and they are supposed to get back to me. They're also sending me a replacement phone to make sure it's not a device problem.

I hope this gets fixed!! I've never had a problem with Verizon in the past!

Garnoch

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My house is the only place I ever seem to have low signal. Between family members, we've had at least 10 phones on Verizon and we drop calls in my house all the time and know where to stand in the house to minimize that. I've made a couple hours worth of calls now in the house on the iPhone and have not dropped one. VERY impressed. I'm even trying to grip it different ways.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My house is the only place I ever seem to have low signal. Between family members, we've had at least 10 phones on Verizon and we drop calls in my house all the time and know where to stand in the house to minimize that. I've made a couple hours worth of calls now in the house on the iPhone and have not dropped one. VERY impressed. I'm even trying to grip it different ways.

Same here as it was before the iPhone. I have lots of things that can cause interference as well as I am out in the country though. :)

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Live in NJ usually had 3 bars in my office, I have full strength now. At home I usually had 1-2 bars occasionally dropping calls, full service now and lose occasionally 1 bar. I am thinking they did something to the local towers.....knock wood no problems or issues at all with this phone.

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They are adding capacity to cell towers all over the place to add capacity - and it's not just for LTE.

HugesNet would probably not be good for magic jack/voice at all due to 'ping times' and propagation delay.

Hum, I noticed a big difference this morning. It has lasted all day. Even able to stream radio in my metal garage. That is a first.

Just heard from 3 neighbors asking if I noticed. I said sure but why talk about it and jink it. Ha!

Thanks, whoever fixed it.

Robgoodfellow

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Dropped call news fm Verizon

I spoke with tech support and they seem to be on top of the issue working to get the problem solved quickly.

Seems that, according to their tower logs, some of the towers in this area are not "tuned" properly or otherwise resulting in problems connecting to the closest tower, and when the phone cannot connect with a good enough signal it tries to connect to the next closest tower and we all know the out of range problem then rears its ugly head.

I was assured that others in this same zip code are experiencing the same problem. Verizon has elevated the problem to critical which, I was told, is always done when new hardware has issues.

Whether this tower tuning issue is prevalent in other locations is an unknown, but those of you who are experiencing this might want to check in with Verizon. And, for the moment Verizon thinks the problem is NOT related to defective individual handsets. I am inclined to agree as I did the "death grip" antenna test and saw no change in signal whether where I have the dropped call problems or elsewhere where marginal signals exist.

Later

x2jag2x

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with tech support and they seem to be on top of the issue working to get the problem solved quickly.

Seems that, according to their tower logs, some of the towers in this area are not "tuned" properly or otherwise resulting in problems connecting to the closest tower, and when the phone cannot connect with a good enough signal it tries to connect to the next closest tower and we all know the out of range problem then rears its ugly head.

I was assured that others in this same zip code are experiencing the same problem. Verizon has elevated the problem to critical which, I was told, is always done when new hardware has issues.

Whether this tower tuning issue is prevalent in other locations is an unknown, but those of you who are experiencing this might want to check in with Verizon. And, for the moment Verizon thinks the problem is NOT related to defective individual handsets. I am inclined to agree as I did the "death grip" antenna test and saw no change in signal whether where I have the dropped call problems or elsewhere where marginal signals exist.

Later
Thank you very much for posting this information. I received a call from Verizon tech support as well regarding my complaints in the Irvine area. They said that they were looking into the issue - as you mentioned.

Good to know that my company isn't the only one having this issue. EVERYWHERE outside of the immediate area around my office the iPhone works flawlessly. Obviously not a faulty handset issue.

Keep us posted if you hear anything else. Thanks again.

x2jag2x

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I received a call from VZW tech support and they said that they've addressed the issue. They claim that there was an outage in the area on Friday and that they're back up and running. Well, the problem was happening before Friday, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they've fixed the problem.

Haven't had any trouble with my phone in the office today. Fingers crossed it's actually fixed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh