Dropped Calls

ddnichols7

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
In SE Tennessee (Chattanooga) I have been dropping a few calls today. I do notice that when a call is coming in or going out the 3g symbol is gone.......Then when the call is dropped it shows a o instead of the 3g, what does the o mean? I will try *228 and call VZW, I hope too this is not a iPhone problem!

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In SE Tennessee (Chattanooga) I have been dropping a few calls today. I do notice that when a call is coming in or going out the 3g symbol is gone.......Then when the call is dropped it shows a o instead of the 3g, what does the o mean? I will try *228 and call VZW, I hope too this is not a iPhone problem!

It means you have 1x rather than 3g

JE5TERHEAD

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
dropped calls

For who it may help (it helped me) i kept getting dropped calls with 2 to 3 bars of voice coverage, people would complain they cannot hear me. i called verizon they told me to reset the network and so far i have not had any problems since and people say i sound a lot better.

how to:
settings
general
reset
reset network settings
reset network settings again

the phone should reboot and see how it is, it also helped with the 3g 1x problem a little i dont notice it as much in my room as before

Reactions: iSRS

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
For who it may help (it helped me) i kept getting dropped calls with 2 to 3 bars of voice coverage, people would complain they cannot hear me. i called verizon they told me to reset the network and so far i have not had any problems since and people say i sound a lot better.

how to:
settings
general
reset
reset network settings
reset network settings again

the phone should reboot and see how it is, it also helped with the 3g 1x problem a little i dont notice it as much in my room as before

Thanks! Not having any issues myself, but good to have this info just in case!

x2jag2x

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, problem is not yet fixed. No Service again. Full bars to No Service and back. Called tech support again and they're still looking into it. Might just have to use the replacement phone they're sending me afterall. Ugg.

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Interesting ... I've had the phone for week now and put more than 25 hours of voice calls on it. Most of it is local (eastern PA), but many times while mobile. I have yet to have a dropped call - even in areas I previously dropped calls. So far, I am loving this phone!

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Just dropped my first call-je5terhead, do you know what the default passcode is to reset network settings?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting ... I've had the phone for week now and put more than 25 hours of voice calls on it. Most of it is local (eastern PA), but many times while mobile. I have yet to have a dropped call - even in areas I previously dropped calls. So far, I am loving this phone!

I agree on all points. I even tried to death grip it and couldn't.

chenzo

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually get better signal with the iPhone than I did with my env3, I couldn't even keep a call alive for more than a few seconds in my office before, the iPhone works perfectly though

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually get better signal with the iPhone than I did with my env3, I couldn't even keep a call alive for more than a few seconds in my office before, the iPhone works perfectly though

Same here coming from pre plus. People can actually hear me, too! I no longer sound like I am swallowing my phone.

JE5TERHEAD

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If you have not gotten password should be 6 0's but can not be too sure. I think it's antenna problem I stopped holding hand over the black part on left bottom it works great. So now case time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grgiwoyna

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had my iPhone since monday afternoon. I have been using it everyday. Numerous calls, texts and data usage. I have not had ANY issues. This phone gets better reception and call quality than my BB storm 2 ever did. Im a happy camper!!

I have to echo this. Have had mine for 2+ weeks now and, although I haven't used the phone extensively, those times where I have made/received calls I haven't had issues. Coming from a BB Storm 9530 (which I loved) I'm happy to say the call quality is improved when comparing the devices.

If the OP is already getting better data results with AT&T and that's the prime factor in all this for you and you're satisfied with the service, then why are you considering making a change?

Robgoodfellow

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Plan is reason for dropped calls??

Here's the latest on my efforts to get Verizon to solve my dropped call problems (see my previous posts back in Feb).

I am on my 2nd iPhone and still having serious dropped call problems. Last Friday after experiencing the same problem with the 2nd iphone Verizon changed my PRL (preferred roaming list) to be different one than what my plan said and had me do a #### SEND immediately after a call was dropped so they could monitor. Still had problems and called again and was told they are working on it and with many apologies. Grrrr!

Had more problems yesterday in my office and not moving. After about a 10 min conversation the other party said I was breaking up and within a minute the call was dropped. The other party was on a land line. We tried to continue the conversation and calls were either garbled or just dropped. I had to use Goggle Voice.

I posted to the Verizon support on Twitter and got a call. To make a long story short I was informed that the old plan I have (a $39.95/Mo 400 min national plan) was incompatible with the iPhone. The result being dropped calls. So, either I have to upgrade my plan or go back to my old 3G phone - or leave Verizon.

So, if I want a good signal I have to take a more expensive plan.

Why weren't old plan holders told this? And, really! They would cripple a phone because I have a lower minutes per month plan? WTF?

Anybody heard of this crap?

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Only dropped call I've gotten so far was going down an elevator in a nursing home... not really concerned by that since my blackberry bold dropped calls/didnt have service in the same elevator either

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I think they are lying to you. A plan gives you access to their network. I don't believe there is a rule that states cheap plans are pegged to disconnect more than an expensive plan.

Here's the latest on my efforts to get Verizon to solve my dropped call problems (see my previous posts back in Feb).

I am on my 2nd iPhone and still having serious dropped call problems. Last Friday after experiencing the same problem with the 2nd iphone Verizon changed my PRL (preferred roaming list) to be different one than what my plan said and had me do a #### SEND immediately after a call was dropped so they could monitor. Still had problems and called again and was told they are working on it and with many apologies. Grrrr!

Had more problems yesterday in my office and not moving. After about a 10 min conversation the other party said I was breaking up and within a minute the call was dropped. The other party was on a land line. We tried to continue the conversation and calls were either garbled or just dropped. I had to use Goggle Voice.

I posted to the Verizon support on Twitter and got a call. To make a long story short I was informed that the old plan I have (a $39.95/Mo 400 min national plan) was incompatible with the iPhone. The result being dropped calls. So, either I have to upgrade my plan or go back to my old 3G phone - or leave Verizon.

So, if I want a good signal I have to take a more expensive plan.

Why weren't old plan holders told this? And, really! They would cripple a phone because I have a lower minutes per month plan? WTF?

Anybody heard of this crap?

Robgoodfellow

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Plan determines useability?

I totally agree. It doesn't pass the make sense test. The dude I spoke with this last time mentioned that they tie data services to these PRLs and depending on your phone and plan that's the towers you are allowed on. Weird.

Found this out if you type *#5005*4357# and press CALL it will tell you the PRL and ERI version. My PRL is 52208. Supposedly this is a special one for testing.

Robgoodfellow

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Clarifaction on Plan crippling

Well, looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

After a lengthy chat with a level 2 tech he said that my old plan is NOT the cause of the problem. Last Friday they pushed me to a special PRL (52208) so my phone's traffic could be easily monitored. This PRL is believed to be plan agnostic, so my ancient plan would not factor into the dropped call equation.

The tech had no answer to why a call would degrade over a period of time and then drop when the phone wasn't moving (I was sitting in an office each time). And, as I suspected, it seems others in the area having similar issues were told they would probably need to get a "minitower" to plug into their router. At $250 I don't think this is an option.

When I pushed him about this degradation problem he had no explanation. So, we are not any further along in getting the problem solved.

What is also bothersome is that I have been trying to get Verizon to keep me informed of the actions they are taking. But, I was informed by the Verizon Twitter dude that according to my claim there was an open trouble ticket it had been closed because the issue was unresolvable and my problem was dumped into a large pool of connectivity complaints that Verizon claims could be fixed using their minitower. They also claimed they attempted to contact me but were unable to. Total BS - they have my other numbers, my email address, my office land line and even if my phone was unreachable they could have left a voicemail.

What joke and a waste of time. Going to give them until Friday and will either drop back to by old 3G Razr or go to ATT (what crappy choices!)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods