My dad has been on the phone with verizon for a while. he is trying to set up his email account. he has email account with verizon so ex- johnsmith@verizon.net

did you set up an account with verizon on the iphone? How did you do it? The rep is telling my dad what to do and nothing is working..

Thanks!
    02-10-2011 06:47 PM
    I have four verizon.net email accounts. If you want them to arrive instantly, this is what to do. Open a gmail account, then forward all your verizon.net to your gmail. To do this you go to account tools for each verizon.net account to tweak the settings to forward to gmail Then, set up your gmail email as an exchange account on your iPhone, set push to on. If you want to be able to reply to each email account and sent from them, then set up those accounts under "other" on your iPhone. The mail won't show up there, but when you reply or send, that account will show up as an option in the from field. On your iPhone settings, under email, make sure push is on, and fetch is manually. this is what works for me. Also, you can set filters in gmail for these forwarded accounts to help sort them.
    02-10-2011 07:06 PM
    So he set up the account and it looks like it should work but he never gets any mail? And can't send mail? Or which? Are there any error messages?
    02-10-2011 07:10 PM
    So he set up the account and it looks like it should work but he never gets any mail? And can't send mail? Or which? Are there any error messages?
    I found unless it is set up as an exchange account (only can do this by forwarding to gmail mail). I really didn't get the mail delivered unless I opened the mail by clicking on it and it downloaded manually. However, it should be sending...do you not hear the " whose" sound a few seconds after you hit send?
    02-10-2011 07:13 PM
    Yes, I hear the Whoosh. Blackberry2iphone, what is the port number you are using for outgoing (SMTP)?
    Last edited by Lanulos; 02-10-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    02-10-2011 07:31 PM
    no idea. he is trying to set up his account on the phone but it wont let him. i dont know all the details but the supervisor is calling him tomorrow to try to fix this.
    02-10-2011 07:51 PM
    My dad has been on the phone with verizon for a while. he is trying to set up his email account. he has email account with verizon so ex- johnsmith@verizon.net

did you set up an account with verizon on the iphone? How did you do it? The rep is telling my dad what to do and nothing is working..

Thanks!
    Strange. My email from verizon.net activated perfectly fine. I didn't have to change anything to get it to work. I did not set it up as exchange, or forward it to gmail.

I did notice, at first, that it was not pulling my email, until I noticed the setting by default is to manually have to pull email. Don't forget to change that to 15 min, 30 min, hourly.. Once I did that I no longer had to manually check the email.

Never had a problem sending.
    02-10-2011 07:53 PM
    Yes, I hear the Whoosh. Blackberry2iphone, what is the port number you are using for outgoing (SMTP)?

Under Advanced on my verizon.net email account for SMTP it says in blue:
    outgoing.verizon.net

Server Port: it says in blue "110"

Have you tried to see if turning on wifi on your phone helps in case it is the verizon network? Is your data (safari) working ok?
    02-10-2011 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD