Verizon iPhone GPS issues

Kamilli0n

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been having trouble with my GPS signal going in and out while using the Navigon GPS app. It finds the GPS signal fast but won't stay "locked on". It seems like quite a few people are having this same problem after reading a couple threads on other forums. Has anyone that's had trouble with losing GPS signal been able to find a remedy?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Is the similar problem that you've seen people report happening with the same app?
Or is it an overall GPS thing? Personally, I still haven't used the GPS feature on mine yet.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any apps going in the background that are also using the GPS? I'd try ending any apps that might be going in the background that use location based services and see if that helps.

Kamilli0n

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
A lot of them having been with the same Navigon app. But recently a corporate user noticed gps issues within his company's application. He has posted up debugging info so maybe it's a fixable bug with an update.

It's a bummer paying $50 for an app that doesn't work properly then seeing it on sale the next day for $25 lol. I'll try closing out all apps and seeing if that helps. Thanks for the advice kch50428!

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Does the iphone do turn by turn navigation like the Droid phones do? I know it has Google maps but I wasn't sure if it had navigation.

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
i would like to buy this since it is on sale but id like to know if it is a problem with the software or the vip

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
i would like to buy this since it is on sale but id like to know if it is a problem with the software or the vip

You can always try the mapquest app. It was free when I picked it up and think it still is.

Gps has been flawless for me on all apps.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I have noticed some signal loss at times despite the previous second having full signal, and complete open sky. I have my phone in a nice mount on the dash with full view of the sky. Now, I would expect some loss with tall trees or buildings, since the chip in the phone must be small and not using SIRF III or anything like that such as a dedicated unit, but still. Wonder if it is a firmware issue, or just an inherent problem with this GPS. The chip is onboard rather than separate on this phone. This is a difference with the ATT iPhone. Wonder if they have noticed problems. Anybody know how the ATT unit does?

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the iPhone doesn't seem to pick up as strong a signal as my Droid did with regards to GPS. When the phone is in my cup holder or on the console in the car, it loses the GPS signal pretty often, but not the Pandora signal. If I move the phone to the dash or a windshield mounted dock, it seems to hold the GPS signal no problems.

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Now, MotionX GPS Drive just released update 9.1 today. The note says it is improved for the Verizon iPhone. I wonder what that means? Maybe better for the chipset?

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
OK, so MotionX GPS drive issued an update yesterday to their app, specifically for Verizon optimization. Don't know what they meant since there were no release notes. I used it today to travel to a different office, and it was flawless. A spot in the redwoods where the thing got lost a few days ago held solid today. I am hopeful their update solved some issue with the Verizon GPS. It worked perfectly today.

rihamy2nd

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd had an HTC Eris. Traded up (?) to the iPhone. I'm a bit of a GPS power user - junkie, if you will. Not an expert, I just get a LOT of use from it. I loved the Google Navigator on the Android phone, and while not perfect (I've yet to see any GPS unit, software, or app that is) it was very dependable and accurate AND was included with the OS and integrated neatly into nearly everything on the phone that had any type of address in it.

Browsing through Apple's app store on my iPod Touch, I'd seen screenshots of the UI for MotionX Drive and was just drooling over its features, so I was chomping at the bit to get my hands on the iPhone and that was the first app installed, once I got it.

From the first use, I noticed it would occasionally lose GPS signal. The iPhone resides in the same mount, in the same location that the Eris did. I repositioned it to get it farther down the windshield and away from the roof of the vehicle, more. No change. So here are the steps I took to troubleshoot:

Installed and tried Waze, Mapquest, VZ Navigator, and Skobbler. They all exhibit the same problem. They lose GPS signal every 3-4 minutes for about 15 secs to a minute (sometimes longer), then it returns.

Tried turning off location services to everything but the GPS app that I was currently using - no change. Tried uninstalling all apps that use GPS, rebooted phone, went to location services and disabled it for the native maps app, the camera, and the native compass, reinstalled MotionX, rebooted phone once more, turned on location services just for MotionX, tried it - no change.

Called Verizon customer support. They couldn't help so they patched me through to an Apple rep who insisted it had to be a faulty app. I asked, "So, you're telling me that five different app developers wrote the same faulty code into five different apps?" His response was for me to contact the app developer. I did (MotionX). They responded promptly and told me they hadn't seen any issues like that, at that time.

At this point, I figure the process of elimination means a faulty OS loaded on the phone, or a bad GPS chipset. I take it to the Apple store and they do a DFU (I think that's what it was called), essentially wiping the phone clean back to its original state with a clean install of the OS. I load MotionX, and only MotionX, while still in the store and tested it on my way home from the store - it does it, again.

I go back the next day, they graciously swap the phone, with apologies. I do the same thing as the night before with one exception - I realize that there is one other common denominator - the Belkin USB power adapter that I'd been using all along. So, without plugging it in to the vehicle power adapter, I use MotionX running on a full battery charge and... yeah, it does the same thing.

All three times I dealt with an Apple rep, they asked me if I had a good 3G signal because they said the GPS has to have that to work properly. Most of the time when the problem occurs, I have good data signal. Also, if what they are saying is true, then the apps which store the map data on the phone (Tom-Tom, Navigon, ?) are worthless, so I have to call BS on that one. All the apps I've used have acquired a fix almost immediately, they just intermittently lose it, thereafter. My understanding is that the initial fix is where the 3G signal helps. I also understand that Verizon's technology only allows for connection to one cell tower at a time, so that means no triangulation and very poor accuracy for navigating.

Here's the kicker: they say I have to have 3G for the GPS to work and the two times that the GPS has worked the best and stayed on for the longest amount of time (45 mins to a little over an hour without ever dropping out) was on the same stretch of road, on two different days, in a very remote area where I lose voice and data signal, completely. Perhaps the radio in the phone is the culprit?

I know this is long-winded, but I wanted to let everyone else know what I've tried and to hopefully arm you with some information to take to Apple and/or Verizon. I personally think they're about to have a bunch of angry customers over this. I've been severely irritated since I took delivery of mine on the eighth of Feb.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I concur. There is a problem. I have the same issues as you. The one that seems to perform the best is Maps. I wonder if that's because it's a native app. Navigon on my AT&T iPhone never had any issues. What I do, is when I wanna use GPS, I tether my Incredible to my iPhone and use Google Maps on the Incredible until this issue gets fixed.

rihamy2nd

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
@Icyhot1966

Yeah, I forgot to add that I had tried the native Maps and I never noticed it lose signal, either, but I couldn't swear by that since I only tried it once on a 20 minute drive into work in busy traffic and I couldn't devote my full visual attention to watch the "ping" rings. MotionX will actually announce that GPS signal is lost and Waze makes some type of noise that calls attention to it so you know immediately when it occurs.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm rather a GPS junkie myself - haven't played much with GPS on my iPhone... but after reading more of the thread, and Googling on the topic, I've seen that the iPhone itself relies on assisted GPS (A-GPS). I've also been playing with a BadElf GPS device on my wifi iPad - and that works splendidly. And right now, I'm playing with it on my iPhone, in airplane mode - with the TomTom & Navigon Apps - the TomTom app told me to turn off airplane mode, but the BadElf gives a great satellite lock; the Navigon locks fine in airplane mode with no error; of course the native Map app does nothing in Airplane mode... the little I've used the iPhone while in the car I've seen it drop satellite lock once on the Navigon app. I'll still rely on my Garmin Nuvi for in the car, and supplement with the BadElf/iPad... and the iPhone as a 3rd back-up option.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
On my Navigon on my iPhone, the speed is constantly going to 0 then back to correct speed...back and forth. Navigon on my iPad doesn't do that. Ever. TomTom on my iPhone doesn't lose speed but it has lost GPS signal. Again, on my iPad TomTom works great. There is something amiss here, and Apple/Verizon need to get this rectified. Until then, I'll rely on my Incredible tethered to my iPhone.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
@Icyhot1966

Yeah, I forgot to add that I had tried the native Maps and I never noticed it lose signal, either, but I couldn't swear by that since I only tried it once on a 20 minute drive into work in busy traffic and I couldn't devote my full visual attention to watch the "ping" rings. MotionX will actually announce that GPS signal is lost and Waze makes some type of noise that calls attention to it so you know immediately when it occurs.

I wonder if Apple has a support forum where would could go to and see if we can get some answers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen