Verizon iPhone GPS issues

kpxstar9

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I got my iPhone 2 days ago and downloaded navigon and tried it out yesterday. It was a 52 mile trip that started at the base of mountains and ended near the beach

It took a few seconds to acquire the signal initially but after that it worked flawlessly. Not once did I lose the signal, even when driving through canyons in which I typically lose reception. When I veered off course the app rerouted me right away with no loading times. The speed it projected me to be driving was only 2 mph off of my actual speeds. I highly recommend this navigation app

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I loved Navigon on my AT&T iPhone but it has all sorts of issues on my Verizon iPhone. WHY can some users have flawless experiences and others have terrible experiences??

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Part of the issue may be the cellular assisted "AGPS" - which includes knowing where the tower your cell phone is connected to is located - if the database the 'AGPS' looks up the cell tower is in is wrong, as talked about above - it's going to confuse the (bleep) out of the app software if it's not written well. You may be in an area where one or more of the reference listings for towers in the database is seriously hosed. Here in my area, a few of the former Alltel towers would show a location of the switch they were connected to - because that's how they apparently got listed... and on the first HTC droid phones, the weather widgets were always confused as (bleep) because of it.

morsecp

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Part of the issue may be the cellular assisted "AGPS" - which includes knowing where the tower your cell phone is connected to is located - if the database the 'AGPS' looks up the cell tower is in is wrong, as talked about above - it's going to confuse the (bleep) out of the app software if it's not written well. You may be in an area where one or more of the reference listings for towers in the database is seriously hosed. Here in my area, a few of the former Alltel towers would show a location of the switch they were connected to - because that's how they apparently got listed... and on the first HTC droid phones, the weather widgets were always confused as (bleep) because of it.

This seems to make sense an agree with the behavior I have discussed in my earlier posts. On a side note MotionX was nice enough to give me three free months of Live Guidance. They seemed to think the problem lies with the towers and therefore Verizon. They said they will do what they can to pass on the information to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the occasional loss of GPS when I use TomTom but not nearly as bad as Navigon. Tonight on my way home from work I will try and turn off Cellular Data and see how Navigon behaves.

morsecp

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion it is 100% dependent on what the cellular network is handing the phone. With the cellular data off flawless. Not so good for apps like MotionX.

morsecp

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I just turned off my wifi and made sure I had a good connection to Verizon's 3G network. Then I did a look up of my IP Address at www.whatsmyip.org. According to my current IP information I'm located somewhere in Connecticut, but I am actually in Burlington, Vermont! I looked up some information about the cell towers in my area and found contact info for the caretaker of the Verizon antenna closest to where I'm having all of the problems. I sent a quick message with the towers details and my experience. Hope it does something.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I turned off Cellular Data, and Navigon is still acting screwy. TomTom seems to work fine. I have a question though. I thought turning off Cellular data prohibited any kind of communication. But with it off, I am able to make/receive calls and texts. Am I turning off the right thing?

rihamy2nd

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about that, Icyhot. I'm almost certain that it's a separate entity from the voice radio and I, too, have received calls with the cellular data turned off during my troubleshooting runs with a GPS app running. As a side-note, Waze continued to call out the turns through the speaker, right on cue, the whole time I was on the call, there again demonstrating how well it can work with other things going on in the back-ground (or in this case, the fore-ground) as long as the data radio is off.

Not sure about the text messages.

OK, I took a tip that the last guy from the Apple store who I spoke with gave me. I went to expresslane.apple.com, tonight, and promptly got a call back. I think I finally got the information into the right hands, this time (i.e. technical support, with emphasis on TECHNICAL, as opposed to customer service). He said he's giving it to the engineers to look at and he'll call me back in 2-3 days with their findings as of then.

I hope this will get resolved in one way or another. I'm just very frustrated that I gave up my other phone for this one and now this is happening.

rihamy2nd

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, I made reference to this forum and sent him a link to this thread. He said it would be helpful to see what kind of issues others are having. When I first found this site by Googling "verizon iphone gps issues" I remember seeing some other threads pertaining to this same problem, but I kind of locked in on this particular thread and haven't been looking at any of the others, lately. Have any of you been keeping up with those? I'm going to do another search to see what I can find, but if any of you can link to anything else that may be helpful, it may go a long way in finding a solution.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, all of the Droids have wonderful GPS. So does the AT&T iPhone, which I am SERIOUSLY considering getting because of this issue.

rihamy2nd

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I did get a pretty generous trade-in value from Verizon for it, but that aside, the iPhone's cost was $299, and even with what they gave me as a trade-in, that's quite a bit of money to pay to go backwards in regards to the GPS. I love nearly everything else about the phone. I was already very familiar with the OS, having had an iPod Touch since Jan '08. I was still taking that to work with me every day to listen to my music because none of the music player apps on the Android phone could compare in my opinion. It seemed like a no-brainer to have all my gadgets in one device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative