Signal Issues

MrsStraty

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I actually hardly ever see less than all of my bars with the ViP. This is the first for me as I have always had signal issues with my androids.

x2jag2x

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Ugg...just happened again. Looked at my phone 10 minutes ago - fine, full bars. Didn't touch it, came back and now it says "Searching..."

And it's been "Searching..." for the last 15 minutes. The only way I can get it to go back to having service is by turning on and off airplane mode or by restarting the phone.

x2jag2x

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I had a long talk with technical support and we did a full reset of my phone - deleting all data to see if maybe it was something I downloaded (or at least a software issue). After doing the refresh, the full bars came back........for like 30 seconds. With him on the phone it did the usual deal. Full bars --> one bar --> Searching... --> No Service

So they think it's a more serious issue with some software or even hardware. Obviously it's capable of full service because I've made several calls with full bars from my office. But it keeps dying on me.

They're sending me a new phone, but it won't get here until Monday. Dang.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I should actually fill out my info. No icy weather here. I'm in sunny southern California - it's 75 degrees out right now. (Sorry East Coasters lol)

Sorry for some reason I thought your location was Ohio. I should have read your post a little better also since you said you haven't seen this before. Hopefully updating your PRL will help. I know when I was on Verizon I would try to update every 1-2 months.

And don't worry about rubbing it in on how nice it is. At least we don't have the Santa Anna winds. I'm originally from San Diego and 1 of these days I'll make it back.

x2jag2x

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok people, the plot thickens. So there are other people in my office that have the iPhone. Theirs seems to work fine, no signal issues. I still have mine activated even though it's acting up.

So last night after I left work I restarted the phone and it's been working like a champ until I get back into the office this morning. I'm at my desk and 30 minutes into the day I have "No Service" again. Won't go away until I restart the phone. Then I decided to experiment. I borrowed another co-workers phone (that's never had a problem) and I brought it into my office. 30 minutes later and they both say "No Service" - even though they both initially had full bars on my desk.

I think it might be my office that's messing with them! I have a big magnetic whiteboard, and a wireless mouse...that's all that I can think of that would have an effect. But I've had several other Verizon phones in this office and NEVER had a single issue.

Any thoughts?

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It could almost be anything. What is different in your office from the other offices or areas. The magnetic white board I don't really think would be the problem. The wireless mouse won't affect it. I have had 2 wireless mice and keyboards, all bluetooth, in my computer room with my old Verizon phone and my ATT IPHONE 4 and have not any problems. I have had 2 wireless routers, dual band, and still no problems.

I have seen insulated/reflective windows, for keep out the heat, cause problems but I would think that these windows would be in every office in the building.

Are the other offices on different side of the building? The reason I ask it may be an equipment problem at the cell site that the phones in your office access but in the other offices the phones see or have a clearer view of different sites.

I don't know if the cable TV people in your area are on fiber or still on "copper". But the high end of their channels go right through the 800 and 900 MHz cell phone bands (North American cable television frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). In my work it is not un-common for cable TV to be the culprit for radio interference.

Even worse, I worked a problem in the central New Jersey shore area. the problem turned out to be a bad TV antenna amplifier on the roof of a condo. My problem was around 118 MHz but these things are made to work up to almost 900 MHz. What made this problem hard to find was it was there 1 day and then "gone" for the next 4 months. Then it showed up again.

Another thing to try is turning off all the electronics in your office. See if you get a good signal and if you do start turning each piece of equipment on then waiting for about a minute or two and see if you loose the signal. You can turn everything on and leave it on when you turn the next piece on. If you loose the signal at a point it could be 1 of 2 things, either that individual piece of equipment is putting out interference or the cumulative noise from all of the equipment is causing the problem.

Good luck.

Sosai X

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So what effect does "data roaming" in either the on or off position have on battery life?

Does it use more juice because it's drawing more data?

Does it use less because it's getting Verizon data and not trying to draw from other carriers?

Neither?

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Data roaming off just prevents your phone from roaming internationally. It has nothing to do with reception problems. Might as well leave it off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal