HELP!!!..This phone is waaaaay over my head

zoey2

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
:confused:I hope I haven't made a big mistake. I'm not the most technically savvy person in the world. I've used a cell phone and/or most recently, a Blackberry for several years with not many problems.....HOWEVER this iphone is so over my head that I have not been able to figure out how to do ANYTHING at all on it.

I consider myself a relatively smart person in most areas of life, but this is beginning to make me feel like an idiot......LOL

For one, HOW do you even get onto the internet? I thought it was through that 'Safari' button...but the only thing I get when I hit that is a huge Apple legal document.....in the smallest print I've ever seen....and I don't see any way to get past that page.

Secondly, i have tried for three hours and can't figure out how to transfer my 100 contacts from my Blackberry to my iphone.

Three....I had downloaded some apps from the apple store into my apple account, ready to transfer to my iphone, but I can't figure out how to do that either.

Four....When/If I finally DO succeed in downloading an app, where do I go on the phone to find it?

Five.....Does this phone have any type of "safe" in which you can input accounts, passwords, etc?

Six...Can the phone be put in 'vibrate' mode, with no ringing?

And, any tips on how to learn to use this thing?
Thanks

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
hook it up to itunes and that will activate the software and transfer all of the apps you have downloaded. to transfer contacts download vz transfer from the app store and use that to download all of your contacts that you(i would assume) saved via back up assistant. To put in vibrate slide the silver button on the side down and that will put it in vibrate mode(the one next to the +and - button

tcoche

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just highlighted all my apps and dragged them over to the iPhone name on the left in itunes. It'll load em to the iPhone that way. When I plugged my iPhone in to itunes it didnt automatically transfer. As far as tips, go to youtube.com and search for "iPhone 4 tips and tricks". :cool:

Once you download the apps to the phone you swipe your finger on the screen to the right. It'll put icons on the screen. To move apps press and hold on the icon until it wiggles. Then you can drag an icon on top of another and it'll make a folder which you can then name that folder.

Last edited:

wanda#IM

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
:confused:I hope I haven't made a big mistake. I'm not the most technically savvy person in the world. I've used a cell phone and/or most recently, a Blackberry for several years with not many problems.....HOWEVER this iphone is so over my head that I have not been able to figure out how to do ANYTHING at all on it.

I consider myself a relatively smart person in most areas of life, but this is beginning to make me feel like an idiot......LOL

For one, HOW do you even get onto the internet? I thought it was through that 'Safari' button...but the only thing I get when I hit that is a huge Apple legal document.....in the smallest print I've ever seen....and I don't see any way to get past that page.

Secondly, i have tried for three hours and can't figure out how to transfer my 100 contacts from my Blackberry to my iphone.

Three....I had downloaded some apps from the apple store into my apple account, ready to transfer to my iphone, but I can't figure out how to do that either.

Four....When/If I finally DO succeed in downloading an app, where do I go on the phone to find it?

Five.....Does this phone have any type of "safe" in which you can input accounts, passwords, etc?

Thanks

try this... Apple - Support - Manuals

scroll down and download the manual for iOS4.2 and give it a good read. You may have to use Firefox or another browser to download it as it crashes my Safari browser on my Macbook and my iMac every time I try (hows that for irony). Don't know why they don't include these with the phone. I mean I'm all for saving trees but dang...give people a clue how to use the thing.

Lanulos

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks

You have to get an app for "safe" storage. I sometimes see free ones, but I'm not sure I would trust them. I use mSecure. You can buy apps directly on the phone, so you don't have to sync them from the computer. (Actually, when you do sync, they will be backed up to your computer.)

ViP

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
:

Thanks

2. Download VZ Transfer from the App Store on the phone, just simply search for it and it will pop up. Turn off WiFi on the phone (Settings --> Wifi, touch the tab to turn it to off), run VZ Transfer, then just simply follow the directions.

3. Hook your phone up to the computer and sync it with iTunes

4. Slide your finger from right to left across the screen and the apps will be there... you can rearrange them by holding down on one of the icons until they start shaking, you can move them anywhere you want.. once you rearrange them, hit the home button to accept the changes.

6. There is a button above the volume controls on the side of the phone, slide that button down and it will turn it to silence, but it will still vibrate, just won't play ringtones.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Wow...ok I'm going to try and answer this the best I can so here it goes.

Question 1 answer: If you have gone through the proper steps to activate the phone via iTunes, then it should be as simple as scrolling all the way to the bottom of the legal jargon and click accept.

Question 2 answer: if you had a Verizon blackberry, the easiest and most hastle free way to transfer your contacts is going to be through Verizons backup assistant app. Run the backup assistant on your bb to back up your contact, then download Verizon transfer app through the iPhones app store and run it to transfer your contacts.

Question 3 answer: make sure that you are signed into you iTunes account on the pc that you are using. Then make sure when you plug up your iphone into your pc you go to the apps section. You should be able to sync apps from there. Make sure that you have authorized the pc for that iTunes account which can be done from the "store" tab I believe.

Question 4 answer: any new apps that you download starting off will more than likely go to aother "home" screen. You can slide the first screen to the left and right to revea different applications. Then you can press and hold the app icon to cove it back to yours first screen.

Question 5 answer: no, but I believe there's an app for that.

Question 6 answer: not trying to be mean...but...you know that little switch above the volume buttons? Yeah, that's what that is.

My best advice is to get really comfortable with the app store and the messages. Learn how to move things around through your home screen, add music, and really get comfortable with iTunes on your pc. And as always, come here for the best advice and answers to your questions. Hope this helps.

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
What I've found to do for apps is plug the phone into iTunes, and then on the left side click on the phone (like so and so's iPhone or whatever you called it) and then you will get a main about screen about the phone. If you look near the top you will see Apps, Music, Movies etc. Click on Apps, and then Sync Apps and they will all go onto the phone. If you unclick the checkmark next to each you can choose to not load it if you want. You can also arrange your screens here, make folders etc

For Safari, you may have to accept their terms or something if you haven't figured this one out yet. Scroll to the very bottom, do you get something to accept or decline?

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
For those saying Backup Assistant: It is (or was, when I had a VZ BB) not available for smartphones.

Sync your BB to Outlook (Or Windows Mail) using the BB Desktop software to get your Contacts there, then tell iTunes (second tab at the top when you plug in your iPhone and click on it on the left) to sync contacts from Outlook/Windows Mail.

Alternatively export your contacts with the BB software to a CSV file, import that CSV file to your GMail, then tell iTunes to sync from your Google account (same place as above).

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
For those saying Backup Assistant: It is (or was, when I had a VZ BB) not available for smartphones.

Sync your BB to Outlook (Or Windows Mail) using the BB Desktop software to get your Contacts there, then tell iTunes (second tab at the top when you plug in your iPhone and click on it on the left) to sync contacts from Outlook/Windows Mail.

Alternatively export your contacts with the BB software to a CSV file, import that CSV file to your GMail, then tell iTunes to sync from your Google account (same place as above).

They started licking it out to blackberries towards the end of last year.

gemni73

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I see that most have given you tips on what to do and instead of me repeating it all, I will offer this to you. apple stores offer classes on getting to know their products. they offer them for free and they can walk you through step by step on how to use your new apple product.

if you did the back up assistant for your contacts you will be able to sync contacts to your phone but again since you have no idea where to look maybe visiting a Verizon store so they can help you with that won't be a bad idea. good luck to you. once you get everything going I think you will love the phone

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
1. Breathe. It's all good & no worries. This is one of those cases where no one is going to die and nobody is going to jail. (yes, I am an attorney and have said that phrase many times before :p ).

2. Crackberry to iPhone contacts can be done - VZW should take care of it for you. If not, there are many great tips above to transfer to iPhone. Personally, I highly recommend Google. Once they're there, you're good to Outlook, iPhone, Crackberry or a Droid. Owned all of them, it does sync with the whole batch!

3. ID & Password info. Slightly pricey but I have loved Splash ID/Wallet for the past 10 years or so. Enter once on desktop, available on phone, web, whatever. Cheap-O substitute is put it on a word document then drop into Dropbox account for use on the fly. My $0.02? Pay money and do it the first way which is much easier.

Hope you're doing well with it. It really is not that difficult. Just takes a little patience. :)

gemni73

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
:

Thanks
I have 1password For accounts and passwords. I believe there is a free version too.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been using LastPass for the last week or so and I really like it. It's free to access through a browser, or you can pay $14/year for the premium subscription with extra bells and whistles and the iPhone app.

When I'm on my computer at home, or using the app on my iPhone, it automatically logs me into websites, so I don't have to remember usernames and passwords. I can also look up the login information myself, and save "secure notes" with other sensitive information.

xmnj

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I see that most have given you tips on what to do and instead of me repeating it all, I will offer this to you. apple stores offer classes on getting to know their products. they offer them for free and they can walk you through step by step on how to use your new apple product.

if you did the back up assistant for your contacts you will be able to sync contacts to your phone but again since you have no idea where to look maybe visiting a Verizon store so they can help you with that won't be a bad idea. good luck to you. once you get everything going I think you will love the phone

I agree, take advantage of the free classes that Apple stores have to offer to learn how to use your iPhone. Can't beat free!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR