Verizon iphone 4 upgrade to iphone 5??

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not to get into your catfight (j/k) but I think there are valid reason for both views. But I think they will release one for a couple reasons:

1) To get those customers who didn't upgrade to the iPhone and wanted to hold out.
2) More incentive for AT&T users to switch. Many of them will not switch for the same phone if they are getting good service especially if they are under contract. Their thoughts may change for a new phone and maybe be willing to start with VZW than to extend with AT&T
3) An opportunity to make more money. C.R.E.A.M.

I'd expect them to release one AND offer at least partial discounted prices to those that upgraded to the iPhone 4. Similar to what AT&T and Apple did for those people that upgraded to the 3G a few months before the 3GS was announce. Believe it or not, many general consumers don't pay attention to release schedules. For instance, I told my wife, I'll probably get an iPad 2 when it comes out. Her response was "They coming out with another one already!?". I had a bunch of friends I told not to get iPads for Christmas because another is coming out in a few months. Did they care? Nope. Did they know? Nope.

People don't just stop upgrading devices because another will be coming in a few months. Everyone is well aware now of the iPhone coming out each year and anyone who bought one now should not be upset when the new one is released this summer.

These are just my thoughts about it. Even when the new iPhone is launched they will still be selling iPhone 4s and people will be upgrading to them as people are still buying the 3GS because you can get it cheap. But why would anyone use an upgrade on a 3GS when for a few bucks they could have had a 4? Who knows, but they do.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Here are my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Yes Apple has been releasing a new iPhone every June/July for the last 4 years, but now the game has changed a little. Let's admit it. As we know, the Verizon iPhone has the internals of a true global phone (able to run GSM and CDMA) This means that more then likely Apple will be releasing one version of the phone that will work on ATT and Verizon. It just makes sense manufacturing wise as well. Also, every single year, by this time, info/details are already leaking about the next iPhone. What have we heard about iPhone 5? Nothing. Did Apple all of the sudden plug the leak. No way. This means that the iPhone 5 is coming at a later date. February 2012? Probably not. November/December 2011? That would be my guess. This will be soon enough for ATT people and late enough for Verizon people. Plus Apple will finally get to cash in on the holiday shoppers. All this is assuming that they actually release the iPhone 5. We may just get a 4Gs like with the 3 series. Now if they do release a 4Gs then it's possible that it may come in June/July (but would probably only be for ATT), but that would mean that we won't see a single (ATT and Verizon all in one) iPhone 5 until sometime between Feb and June of 2012.

Take it or leave it. :)

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I think fmflex has a point. Typically, if it was to come out in April/May, we'd see some sorta news. Making some room between Verizon and AT&T makes sense to avoid well, anger lol. And right before the holiday season just gives enough time for Verizon folks to settle down a bit. As far as CDMA/GSM as one, possible! BlackBerry's been doin that with their Storm devices ever since.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I dont know why people are being so retarded asking for proof the iPhone 5 is coming out this summer. If anybody knows Apple, they keep to schedule. They will not hold up iPhone 5 for the entire world because they released it late for Vzn. Did they do this when Rogers loss exclusivity a year ago or so? No

The next gen iPhone will be coming out this summer. Apple isnt passing on billions and billions of dollars. Its a business. THINK!!!

WWDC will be at the beginning of June as it is every year

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I dont know why people are being so retarded asking for proof the iPhone 5 is coming out this summer. If anybody knows Apple, they keep to schedule. They will not hold up iPhone 5 for the entire world because they released it late for Vzn. Did they do this when Rogers loss exclusivity a year ago or so? No

The next gen iPhone will be coming out this summer. Apple isnt passing on billions and billions of dollars. Its a business. THINK!!!

WWDC will be at the beginning of June as it is every year

Because proof is better than rumors which right now there is pretty much nothing on the iphone 5. Nobody is being "retarded" as you say and they dont need to release a new phone to make money its something called more customers will become eligible and buy the iphone 4 on verizon and on at&t. They will still make money if they dont release an iphone this summer.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Because proof is better than rumors which right now there is pretty much nothing on the iphone 5. Nobody is being "retarded" as you say and they dont need to release a new phone to make money its something called more customers will become eligible and buy the iphone 4 on verizon and on at&t. They will still make money if they dont release an iphone this summer.

A new iPhone will be out this year. After the past 4 years I don't we need physical proof of that. And the iPhone usually doesn't leak out like it did last year so for the most part no one will actually know unless another leak or WWDC. But given past history and to stay up to date with competing devices, a new iPhome coming this year is likely. Like Garz said, they are not going to not make another iPhone just because they just released one on Verizon. They make these things for carriers all around the world and won't hold up for 1. Just my thoughts.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

then you dont know Apple... I wont explain any further and I will say I told you all when June comes. End of discussion :rolleyes:

D2TSHR1439

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
They may give some type of discount like they did to those who got an smart phone towards the end of the year if they upgraded to the iPhone, but I highly doubt it. VZW is more money hungry than ever.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
then you dont know Apple... I wont explain any further and I will say I told you all when June comes. End of discussion :rolleyes:

I'm guessing the iPhone coming out in the summer may be a "world phone" making full use of the quad-band Qualcom chipset that's in the VZW iPhone4 - and it will be compatible with both AT&T and Verizon... and won't be anything to make those that got iPhones on Verizon now sorry they did.

The next big thing after that is going to be LTE for both AT&T and Verizon... in about 20 months when all of us that got Verizon iPhones on 2 year contracts will be eligible upgrade at promotional rather than full retail pricing. :D

Reactions: Fanastasia

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
...They make these things for carriers all around the world and won't hold up for 1. Just my thoughts.

They might, being how that 1 is the largest.

Proof?

"Verizon Wireless, is the wireless phone provider that owns and operates the second largest mobile telecommunications network in the United States, based on a total of 94.1 million U.S. subscribers, as of Q4 2010 vs the largest carrier AT&T with, as of, Q4 2010 had 95.5 million total subscribers."

That was before a bunch of people leaving ATT for Verizon. An estimated 40% of ATT iPhone users are leaving. So that would make Verizon bigger then ATT. Now I am not sure about "other" world carriers, but I highly doubt any of them are bigger then the two American top dogs. So if you are Apple, why would you piss off your largest market base?

By delaying the iPhone 5 release 4-5 months, you don't piss off anyone and make more money. You calm the ATT crowd down by saying that you are working on some "magical" iPhone 5 that will even make you toast, and you release an iPhone 5 that works for GSM and CDMA that is bomb, instead of some 4Gs BS. Now some of you keep arguing that it's all about the money. If it is, then it would be another benefit to Apple to release for the holidays. This will not only be because of holiday shopping season but more people would be eligible for an upgrade then. Now I know that a lot of people still buy at full retail, but the more people are able to upgrade the more units they will sell.

Again, that's my 2 cents. Take it or leave it. :)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They might, being how that 1 is the largest.

Proof?

Still the total amount of iPhone users on all those carriers is way more than VZW. They won't hold it up and miss the opportunity to finish 2011 with strong financials just to sell to VZW customers.

Companies have to make money all year long. They will not risk losing money and market share just to release a phone 4 month late to appease VZW users. It's ridiculous if anyone thinks they are going to now change their release dates of the iPhone just because they have added 1 carrier. They have much more at stake than Verizon and it's customers.

And like I said, everyone will see at WWDC. No real need in discussing it any further.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing the iPhone coming out in the summer may be a "world phone" making full use of the quad-band Qualcom chipset that's in the VZW iPhone4 - and it will be compatible with both AT&T and Verizon... and won't be anything to make those that got iPhones on Verizon now sorry they did.

The next big thing after that is going to be LTE for both AT&T and Verizon... in about 20 months when all of us that got Verizon iPhones on 2 year contracts will be eligible upgrade at promotional rather than full retail pricing. :D

Thats what I believe too. I agree 100% ;)

edit_text

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Who knows what will happen in June. It is possible, however unlikely, that there could be some sort of delay. It is also very possible that we could see a minor hardware refresh with more focus being on the new software. Remember also that we have yet to see an official white iPhone 4. A white iPhone 4 with GSM\CDMA capabilities and 64gb would not be the smallest hardware change Apple has made a big deal out of. And I certainly think many consumers would be happy to get their hands on such a beast.

e_t

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Who knows what will happen in June. It is possible, however unlikely, that there could be some sort of delay. It is also very possible that we could see a minor hardware refresh with more focus being on the new software. Remember also that we have yet to see an official white iPhone 4. A white iPhone 4 with GSM\CDMA capabilities and 64gb would not be the smallest hardware change Apple has made a big deal out of. And I certainly think many consumers would be happy to get their hands on such a beast.

e_t

I can see them making this release in June/July - a white GSM/CDMA 64GB iphone 4 would make sense. Anything more would not.

Joey4u615

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I can see them making this release in June/July - a white GSM/CDMA 64GB iphone 4 would make sense. Anything more would not.

I would think at this point releasing the white iPhone in June with World capability and slightly upgraded specs would be enough for Apple especially since every techno-blog freaks out every time someone hints at a White iPhone 4 being available soon.

Also, maybe the new release this Summer will be the iPhone "nano/mini/whatever" since that's the newest tech-rumor.

Between iOS5, the white iPhone 4 and the smaller iPhone, that would generate enough hype for WWDC.

I do not think we're going to see a massive upgrade to the iPhone 4 this Summer, I think that will be saved for the LTE iPhone but we'll see...

edit_text

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I would think at this point releasing the white iPhone in June with World capability and slightly upgraded specs would be enough for Apple especially since every techno-blog freaks out every time someone hints at a White iPhone 4 being available soon.

Also, maybe the new release this Summer will be the iPhone "nano/mini/whatever" since that's the newest tech-rumor.

Between iOS5, the white iPhone 4 and the smaller iPhone, that would generate enough hype for WWDC.

I do not think we're going to see a massive upgrade to the iPhone 4 this Summer, I think that will be saved for the LTE iPhone but we'll see...

Agreed, The only big technology on the horizon is LTE. But it will be some time before it will be available to the masses. Given what Apple has already said about LTE I do not foresee them embracing so quickly after dismissing it so recently. It also appears that we are some time away from VoLTE which is something I'm sure Apple will be eager to embrace the higher call quality that will bring.

e_t

alexponential

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i am on sprint, and thinking about jumping to verizon for the iphone 4, was thinking bout waiting for the iphone 5, but by the time this happens im pretty sure verizon will not have unlimited data available..

I wonder if i get the iphone 4 now, will be able ot upgrade to the iphone 5 when it comes out in june? Or at least next year.. Or will i be stuck with the iphone 4 for 24months!! Who has some answers for me????

Doesnt att users get to upgrade every time a new iphone comes out even tho they are under contract?

Do you have anyone in your family whose upgrade you would be able to use at another time (whenever the iPhone 5 comes out for VZW)? I used my mom's upgrade to get the iPhone 4 this week, and my line is available for upgrade in October, so if I think the 5 is worth it, I can pick it up at upgrade price in Oct.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I picked up 2 ViP. One for me and one for my wife. She used her upgrade and I used her grandpa's. My next upgrade is 03/12, hers will be 10/12, and her grandpa will be 10/12 as well. Her sis which is on our plan is due for one in April, but she will be using it, prolly for ViP. Her parents have 3 lines with V. But they tend to use their upgrades. I believe 2 of them will be available this summer/fall and one early next year. I'm not worried tho. iPhones hold their value. We could both upgrade in March of 2012 if need be. Since I will be able to sell our 2 ViP 4s (sell on CL for $400+ each, as 16GB 3GSs are selling right now for $300-400 and that's almost 2 years after they came out) to cover one full retail purchase ($600), and one upgrade ($200), and maybe some accessories. :)

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
common sense nothing there is no proof on the iphone 5 just RUMORS! so like i said when you have FACTS come back! If you happen to be correct then so be it... who cares about the iphone 5 its all about the iphone 4.. also your speaking like you know verizon and what THEY WILL DO!

Who cares about Verizon? They don't call the shots with the hardware, Apple does. Apple will tell Verizon their plans and coordinate with them on the rollout, but Apple calls all of the shots with it.

Apple has one of the most, if not THE most, regimented product cycles out of all of the major tech companies. iPhones are announced in June, and go on sale about a month or so after that. New iPods are announced in September. The iPads will be announced in March. (though there is strong speculation that will be moved to september to match the iPod cycle) And Macs come whenever the new tech is ready.

Apple is as predictable as sunrise and sunset. There WILL be a new iPhone in the summer, and it WILL go to both Verizon and AT&T. We can speculate on how extensive a refresh/makeover it will be, but there WILL be one. If you deny that, then you don't know much about Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh