...They make these things for carriers all around the world and won't hold up for 1. Just my thoughts.
    They might, being how that 1 is the largest.

Proof?

"Verizon Wireless, is the wireless phone provider that owns and operates the second largest mobile telecommunications network in the United States, based on a total of 94.1 million U.S. subscribers, as of Q4 2010 vs the largest carrier AT&T with, as of, Q4 2010 had 95.5 million total subscribers."

That was before a bunch of people leaving ATT for Verizon. An estimated 40% of ATT iPhone users are leaving. So that would make Verizon bigger then ATT. Now I am not sure about "other" world carriers, but I highly doubt any of them are bigger then the two American top dogs. So if you are Apple, why would you **** off your largest market base?

By delaying the iPhone 5 release 4-5 months, you don't **** off anyone and make more money. You calm the ATT crowd down by saying that you are working on some "magical" iPhone 5 that will even make you toast, and you release an iPhone 5 that works for GSM and CDMA that is bomb, instead of some 4Gs BS. Now some of you keep arguing that it's all about the money. If it is, then it would be another benefit to Apple to release for the holidays. This will not only be because of holiday shopping season but more people would be eligible for an upgrade then. Now I know that a lot of people still buy at full retail, but the more people are able to upgrade the more units they will sell.

Again, that's my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    02-10-2011 04:37 PM
    They might, being how that 1 is the largest.

Proof?
    Still the total amount of iPhone users on all those carriers is way more than VZW. They won't hold it up and miss the opportunity to finish 2011 with strong financials just to sell to VZW customers.

Companies have to make money all year long. They will not risk losing money and market share just to release a phone 4 month late to appease VZW users. It's ridiculous if anyone thinks they are going to now change their release dates of the iPhone just because they have added 1 carrier. They have much more at stake than Verizon and it's customers.

And like I said, everyone will see at WWDC. No real need in discussing it any further.
    02-10-2011 05:07 PM
    I'm guessing the iPhone coming out in the summer may be a "world phone" making full use of the quad-band Qualcom chipset that's in the VZW iPhone4 - and it will be compatible with both AT&T and Verizon... and won't be anything to make those that got iPhones on Verizon now sorry they did.

The next big thing after that is going to be LTE for both AT&T and Verizon... in about 20 months when all of us that got Verizon iPhones on 2 year contracts will be eligible upgrade at promotional rather than full retail pricing.
    Thats what I believe too. I agree 100%
    02-10-2011 05:21 PM
    Who knows what will happen in June. It is possible, however unlikely, that there could be some sort of delay. It is also very possible that we could see a minor hardware refresh with more focus being on the new software. Remember also that we have yet to see an official white iPhone 4. A white iPhone 4 with GSM\CDMA capabilities and 64gb would not be the smallest hardware change Apple has made a big deal out of. And I certainly think many consumers would be happy to get their hands on such a beast.

e_t
    02-10-2011 06:11 PM
    Who knows what will happen in June. It is possible, however unlikely, that there could be some sort of delay. It is also very possible that we could see a minor hardware refresh with more focus being on the new software. Remember also that we have yet to see an official white iPhone 4. A white iPhone 4 with GSM\CDMA capabilities and 64gb would not be the smallest hardware change Apple has made a big deal out of. And I certainly think many consumers would be happy to get their hands on such a beast.

e_t
    I can see them making this release in June/July - a white GSM/CDMA 64GB iphone 4 would make sense. Anything more would not.
    02-10-2011 06:22 PM
    I can see them making this release in June/July - a white GSM/CDMA 64GB iphone 4 would make sense. Anything more would not.
    I would think at this point releasing the white iPhone in June with World capability and slightly upgraded specs would be enough for Apple especially since every techno-blog freaks out every time someone hints at a White iPhone 4 being available soon.

Also, maybe the new release this Summer will be the iPhone "nano/mini/whatever" since that's the newest tech-rumor.

Between iOS5, the white iPhone 4 and the smaller iPhone, that would generate enough hype for WWDC.

I do not think we're going to see a massive upgrade to the iPhone 4 this Summer, I think that will be saved for the LTE iPhone but we'll see...
    02-10-2011 06:41 PM
    I would think at this point releasing the white iPhone in June with World capability and slightly upgraded specs would be enough for Apple especially since every techno-blog freaks out every time someone hints at a White iPhone 4 being available soon.

Also, maybe the new release this Summer will be the iPhone "nano/mini/whatever" since that's the newest tech-rumor.

Between iOS5, the white iPhone 4 and the smaller iPhone, that would generate enough hype for WWDC.

I do not think we're going to see a massive upgrade to the iPhone 4 this Summer, I think that will be saved for the LTE iPhone but we'll see...
    Agreed, The only big technology on the horizon is LTE. But it will be some time before it will be available to the masses. Given what Apple has already said about LTE I do not foresee them embracing so quickly after dismissing it so recently. It also appears that we are some time away from VoLTE which is something I'm sure Apple will be eager to embrace the higher call quality that will bring.

e_t
    02-10-2011 06:56 PM
    Ok so i am on sprint, and thinking about jumping to verizon for the iphone 4, was thinking bout waiting for the iphone 5, but by the time this happens im pretty sure verizon will not have unlimited data available..

I wonder if i get the iphone 4 now, will be able ot upgrade to the iphone 5 when it comes out in june? Or at least next year.. Or will i be stuck with the iphone 4 for 24months!! Who has some answers for me????

Doesnt att users get to upgrade every time a new iphone comes out even tho they are under contract?
    Do you have anyone in your family whose upgrade you would be able to use at another time (whenever the iPhone 5 comes out for VZW)? I used my mom's upgrade to get the iPhone 4 this week, and my line is available for upgrade in October, so if I think the 5 is worth it, I can pick it up at upgrade price in Oct.
    02-10-2011 08:05 PM
    I picked up 2 ViP. One for me and one for my wife. She used her upgrade and I used her grandpa's. My next upgrade is 03/12, hers will be 10/12, and her grandpa will be 10/12 as well. Her sis which is on our plan is due for one in April, but she will be using it, prolly for ViP. Her parents have 3 lines with V. But they tend to use their upgrades. I believe 2 of them will be available this summer/fall and one early next year. I'm not worried tho. iPhones hold their value. We could both upgrade in March of 2012 if need be. Since I will be able to sell our 2 ViP 4s (sell on CL for $400+ each, as 16GB 3GSs are selling right now for $300-400 and that's almost 2 years after they came out) to cover one full retail purchase ($600), and one upgrade ($200), and maybe some accessories.
    02-11-2011 01:40 PM
    common sense nothing there is no proof on the iphone 5 just RUMORS! so like i said when you have FACTS come back! If you happen to be correct then so be it... who cares about the iphone 5 its all about the iphone 4.. also your speaking like you know verizon and what THEY WILL DO!
    Who cares about Verizon? They don't call the shots with the hardware, Apple does. Apple will tell Verizon their plans and coordinate with them on the rollout, but Apple calls all of the shots with it.

Apple has one of the most, if not THE most, regimented product cycles out of all of the major tech companies. iPhones are announced in June, and go on sale about a month or so after that. New iPods are announced in September. The iPads will be announced in March. (though there is strong speculation that will be moved to september to match the iPod cycle) And Macs come whenever the new tech is ready.

Apple is as predictable as sunrise and sunset. There WILL be a new iPhone in the summer, and it WILL go to both Verizon and AT&T. We can speculate on how extensive a refresh/makeover it will be, but there WILL be one. If you deny that, then you don't know much about Apple.
    02-13-2011 02:05 AM
    you will be stuck with the contract you sign. verizon isnt going to let everyone upgrade if they have the iphone 5 in the summer which right now is all speculation. I personally think they will wait to release their next iphone as an LTE phone which most likely wont be until a year or so.
    I disagree .. I bet iPhone 5 uses same baseband as Verizon iPhone 4 and is one model that supports all carriers ... LTE will be iPhone 6 (When att, verizon, and possibly t-mobile all have their LTE networks providing much better coverage.)
    02-13-2011 08:34 AM
    I disagree .. I bet iPhone 5 uses same baseband as Verizon iPhone 4 and is one model that supports all carriers ... LTE will be iPhone 6 (When att, verizon, and possibly t-mobile all have their LTE networks providing much better coverage.)
    I completely agree. iPhone 5 will not be LTE. We would have seen leaks of the chip by now. iPhone 5 will likely be this summer, unified design for all carriers, and possibly CDMA Rev. B which would allow voice and data to Verizon users. Then the usual speed/spec bumps. iPhone 6 will be the LTE and wow upgrade in 2012, where shortly after launch, early Verizon iPhone 4 adopters will be eligible for an upgrade.
    02-13-2011 10:56 AM
    Thats what I said that the next iphone would be LTE and the Iphone 5 wouldnt so what exactly are you disagreeing??
    02-13-2011 11:27 AM
    I'm betting that the iPhone 5 will be on Verizon- it's the reason why I didn't get the iPhone 4.

The way I see it, there are two possibilities in June:
    1) iPhone 5 is another major upgrade, no 3GS-type upgrade. Why? Because the speed at which Android handset manufacturers constantly upgrade/release new hardware puts Apple at a disadvantage in the latest and greatest race. So Apple has to make this one count, it has to be like 2-3 cycles ahead of the current crop of Android phones to stay ahead and keep up until next June.

2) iPhone 5 is a iPhone 4GS. BUT... the iPhone nano is released as well. So the big driver of iPhone sales in 2011 will be at the mid to low range with the nano. The iPhone 5 will sell as well but given the "4GS" upgrades, but there will be that "it's just a iPhone 4" mentality and sales could not be a robust due to the competition with Android.
    shipwrestler125 likes this.
    02-13-2011 12:18 PM
    I bought my Verizon Iphone from Best Buy and got FREE buy-back service which means with 6 months I can return it for $300.00 towards a Iphone 5, So I will pay $300.00 out of pocket to upgrade to Iphone 5 when/IF it hits Verizon

Adam
    02-13-2011 05:01 PM
    What if instead of an iPhone 5 they release the rumored "iPhone nano" ? 1/2 the cost and size of the iPhone 4 to fight android phones in the lower price points?

Just some food for thought, technically would be a new iPhone
    02-13-2011 10:53 PM
    What if instead of an iPhone 5 they release the rumored "iPhone nano" ? 1/2 the cost and size of the iPhone 4 to fight android phones in the lower price points?

Just some food for thought, technically would be a new iPhone
    Very true but depends how small it is on how many people will want to buy one. Not everyone likes tiny phones.
    02-13-2011 10:58 PM
    True but not everyone wants a flagship model either. iPhones only come that way while android comes in high and low end. If apple can make a smaller, less expensive entry level iPhone without sacrificing the experience they will probably be able to sell everyone they can make
    02-13-2011 11:01 PM
    True but not everyone wants a flagship model either. iPhones only come that way while android comes in high and low end. If apple can make a smaller, less expensive entry level iPhone without sacrificing the experience they will probably be able to sell everyone they can make
    I agree I think if they could make it like the iphone 4 maybe with lesser specs for cheaper than it would sell alot as a entry/mid level device
    02-13-2011 11:08 PM
    02-13-2011 11:13 PM
    To the OP I will wait if it was me.
    02-14-2011 12:16 AM
    lol I always wait the full 2 years to upgrade my phones. Just get the iPhone 4. It's good enough already, then when the iPhone 7 comes out, you can get that one, and it won't have even mattered if you got the 5 instead of 4, because then you would have the 7. :P
    02-14-2011 12:18 AM
    I bought my Verizon Iphone from Best Buy and got FREE buy-back service which means with 6 months I can return it for $300.00 towards a Iphone 5, So I will pay $300.00 out of pocket to upgrade to Iphone 5 when/IF it hits Verizon

Adam

That's a rip off. You can sell it for more then that on CL. At least $400, possibly even more.
    Adambomb13#IM likes this.
    02-14-2011 05:10 PM
    Good Point

Thanks
    Adam
    02-14-2011 06:48 PM
    That's a rip off. You can sell it for more then that on CL. At least $400, possibly even more.
    I agree you will be able to get more than 300 if the iphone 5 does come out this summer
    02-14-2011 06:51 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD