They're going to release an "iPhone 4:Global" this summer with CDMA/GSM technology, slightly bumped specs and the antenna redesign for AT&T users.

If we get a completely redesigned iPhone 5 in June, I will be shocked.

This way they satisfy Verizon customers who upgraded to the 4 and satisfy AT&T with a new iPhone. Also, they really don't need to release the iPhone 5 yet. It won't be LTE, the phone has great specs and is more beautifully made than anything on the market at the moment. Also, they're still selling remarkably well.

I strongly doubt we're getting a completely redesigned iPhone this June, I could be wrong but this seems to be the best move especially from a Marketing and Public Relations stand point. All parties will be satisfied and Apple will get away unscathed.
    shipwrestler125 likes this.
    02-10-2011 11:45 AM
    Doesnt att users get to upgrade every time a new iphone comes out even tho they are under contract?
    No. There were times where AT&T offered (probably by Apple's pushing of suggestion) early upgrades to iPhone users. In most case it depended on the account and for many it wasn't a full upgrade. Last year anyone who was going to be eligible for upgrade by Dec 31st, they allowed to upgrade for the new iPhone but this probably had a lot to do with them knowing they would lose exclusivity and wanted to lock people into contracts. But for the most part AT&T users have to wait as well, but the difference with AT&T is that many people are eligible for partial iPhone discount and not have to wait for full eligibility. So they could get one for 400 instead of 600.

We will have to see if Apple and Verizon get together and come up with something that will allow VZW users to upgrade either a lot earlier or at a discounted price. I'd imagine VZW will do something to try to one-up AT&T as usual.
    02-10-2011 12:02 PM
    I think if one company gets it, they both will. AT&T has no more exclusivity deal with Apple. I just don't think we will see a new iPhone that soon.
    New iPhone will be here in June. Maybe early July if there is a slight delay Apple will not push back release due to one carrier worldwide as Vzn. It will be here June. Trust me.
    02-10-2011 12:26 PM
    Doesnt att users get to upgrade every time a new iphone comes out even tho they are under contract?
    You can get an early upgrade (believe if you are at a year of your contract) but won't get the full discount price. I am about to get my iphone 4 but will have to pay $399 for it, as I would be eligible for the full discount of $199 in 2012, so I'm going to get it for 399.
    02-10-2011 12:28 PM
    You can get an early upgrade (believe if you are at a year of your contract) but won't get the full discount price. I am about to get my iphone 4 but will have to pay $399 for it, as I would be eligible for the full discount of $199 in 2012, so I'm going to get it for 399.
    Dont you have to sign another 2 year contract when you do that?
    02-10-2011 12:30 PM
    Ok so i am on sprint, and thinking about jumping to verizon for the iphone 4, was thinking bout waiting for the iphone 5, but by the time this happens im pretty sure verizon will not have unlimited data available..

I wonder if i get the iphone 4 now, will be able ot upgrade to the iphone 5 when it comes out in june? Or at least next year.. Or will i be stuck with the iphone 4 for 24months!! Who has some answers for me????

there wont be a iphone 5 in june! maybe next year but as of right now it wouldnt make sense for them to bring out another iphone so quick
    02-10-2011 01:26 PM
    there wont be a iphone 5 in june! maybe next year but as of right now it wouldnt make sense for them to bring out another iphone so quick
    Another phone? The iPhone 4 that Verizon just got is NOT a new phone... It's been out for 7 months already.

Of course there will be a new iPhone in June. There's been a new iPhone every June for the past 4 years.
    02-10-2011 01:29 PM
    Another phone? The iPhone 4 that Verizon just got is NOT a new phone... It's been out for 7 months already.

Of course there will be a new iPhone in June. There's been a new iPhone every June for the past 4 years.
    LMAO are you serious? Answer this question why would verizon do that for? Please explain seeeing that you know so much! if another iphone does come out for verizon and at&t it will probably be the same way it was when they had the iphone 3g and 3gs!
    02-10-2011 01:31 PM
    Why did Verizon release the Droid 2 6 months after the original Droid?

Why did they then discontinue the original Droid another month after that?

Money.

Remember, we with AT&T and every other company around the world didn't just get the iPhone 4, those companies got it in June. Apple runs on a very predictable release schedule (Q1 = new OSX, Mid Year = New iPhone & iOS, Late Year = New iPod/preview for next year's stuff)

That and the iPhone 5 is rumored (by people at Foxconn in China) to already be in production with the dual-mode qualcomm cdma/gsm chip (1 phone release rather than 2)

Apple is still selling an 8GB version of the 3GS, but only the 8GB version. This time next year that will be discontinued as well and they will only have the 4/5 for sale.
    02-10-2011 01:38 PM
    Everyone and every line isn't eligible for that though. AT&T only allows a certain number of upgrades and partial upgrades in a 2 year span. Just as an example, I got the 3G on a full upgrade and then I was eligible for partial upgrade for the iPhone 3GS.... then not eligible for anything on iPhone 4. Had to wait like 3 more months for partial upgrade. It will ultimately depend on your account, how many times you've already upgraded in the past few years and what Apple and AT&T decides they want to do.
    02-10-2011 01:40 PM
    I'd be surprised if the next iPhone isn't available on both AT&T and VZW. I'd bet some money that it will be on both regardless if they just released this one. Just my thoughts.
    02-10-2011 01:42 PM
    Why did Verizon release the Droid 2 6 months after the original Droid?

Why did they then discontinue the original Droid another month after that?

Money.

Remember, we with AT&T and every other company around the world didn't just get the iPhone 4, those companies got it in June. Apple runs on a very predictable release schedule (Q1 = new OSX, Mid Year = New iPhone & iOS, Late Year = New iPod/preview for next year's stuff)

That and the iPhone 5 is rumored (by people at Foxconn in China) to already be in production with the dual-mode qualcomm cdma/gsm chip (1 phone release rather than 2)

Apple is still selling an 8GB version of the 3GS, but only the 8GB version. This time next year that will be discontinued as well and they will only have the 4/5 for sale.
    People like you i don't like... At&t is garbage so don't even mention them! why would verizon release another damn iphone 4months later after making everyone upgrade for this one it makes no sense when you get FACTS come back and talk!
    02-10-2011 01:46 PM
    People like you i don't like... At&t is garbage so don't even mention them! why would verizon release another damn iphone 4months later after making everyone upgrade for this one it makes no sense when you get FACTS come back and talk!
    I'm not attacking you, don't attack me, please. You can listen to what I'm saying or not, it doesn't matter to me. Here is my reasoning, though:

Money. Plain and simple.

Take this scenario: Verizon releases the iPhone 4, and there was much rejoicing because finally they could have a great phone on their network (AT&T works great for me, but Verizon did too. I have no complaints either way).

Fast forward 4 months: Everyone on Verizon is happy with their iPhone 4, but Apple holds a press conference saying they're releasing the iPhone 5. The World oohs and Ahhs at the fancy new features and the shiny new look. It will be available, they say, on whatever date. BUT, they say, Verizon won't carry this phone.

As a Verizon customer, even IF you had the iPhone 4 from February, how would that make you feel? To know that every other iPhone user in the World had access to this shiny new piece of technology except you. If it were me, I'd be pissed.

In the end, Verizon will release it because by then all of the friends of people who got the iPhone 4 will have upgrades available and will want one.

Do I have facts to back that up? No news stories, no press releases, just common sense. It's the same thing with the Droid and the Droid 2. It's all about the dollar, plain and simple.
    02-10-2011 01:56 PM
    I'm not attacking you, don't attack me, please. You can listen to what I'm saying or not, it doesn't matter to me. Here is my reasoning, though:

Money. Plain and simple.

Take this scenario: Verizon releases the iPhone 4, and there was much rejoicing because finally they could have a great phone on their network (AT&T works great for me, but Verizon did too. I have no complaints either way).

Fast forward 4 months: Everyone on Verizon is happy with their iPhone 4, but Apple holds a press conference saying they're releasing the iPhone 5. The World oohs and Ahhs at the fancy new features and the shiny new look. It will be available, they say, on whatever date. BUT, they say, Verizon won't carry this phone.

As a Verizon customer, even IF you had the iPhone 4 from February, how would that make you feel? To know that every other iPhone user in the World had access to this shiny new piece of technology except you. If it were me, I'd be pissed.

In the end, Verizon will release it because by then all of the friends of people who got the iPhone 4 will have upgrades available and will want one.

Do I have facts to back that up? No news stories, no press releases, just common sense. It's the same thing with the Droid and the Droid 2. It's all about the dollar, plain and simple.
    common sense nothing there is no proof on the iphone 5 just RUMORS! so like i said when you have FACTS come back! If you happen to be correct then so be it... who cares about the iphone 5 its all about the iphone 4.. also your speaking like you know verizon and what THEY WILL DO!
    02-10-2011 02:01 PM
    Just keep your eyes on the WWDC

That's where they announce the new iPhones and the new iOS. Should hear something from Verizon, AT&T, and all the rest of the companies carrying the iPhone shortly afterward.
    02-10-2011 02:14 PM
    Not to get into your catfight (j/k) but I think there are valid reason for both views. But I think they will release one for a couple reasons:

1) To get those customers who didn't upgrade to the iPhone and wanted to hold out.
    2) More incentive for AT&T users to switch. Many of them will not switch for the same phone if they are getting good service especially if they are under contract. Their thoughts may change for a new phone and maybe be willing to start with VZW than to extend with AT&T
    3) An opportunity to make more money. C.R.E.A.M.

I'd expect them to release one AND offer at least partial discounted prices to those that upgraded to the iPhone 4. Similar to what AT&T and Apple did for those people that upgraded to the 3G a few months before the 3GS was announce. Believe it or not, many general consumers don't pay attention to release schedules. For instance, I told my wife, I'll probably get an iPad 2 when it comes out. Her response was "They coming out with another one already!?". I had a bunch of friends I told not to get iPads for Christmas because another is coming out in a few months. Did they care? Nope. Did they know? Nope.

People don't just stop upgrading devices because another will be coming in a few months. Everyone is well aware now of the iPhone coming out each year and anyone who bought one now should not be upset when the new one is released this summer.

These are just my thoughts about it. Even when the new iPhone is launched they will still be selling iPhone 4s and people will be upgrading to them as people are still buying the 3GS because you can get it cheap. But why would anyone use an upgrade on a 3GS when for a few bucks they could have had a 4? Who knows, but they do.
    02-10-2011 02:15 PM
    Here are my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Yes Apple has been releasing a new iPhone every June/July for the last 4 years, but now the game has changed a little. Let's admit it. As we know, the Verizon iPhone has the internals of a true global phone (able to run GSM and CDMA) This means that more then likely Apple will be releasing one version of the phone that will work on ATT and Verizon. It just makes sense manufacturing wise as well. Also, every single year, by this time, info/details are already leaking about the next iPhone. What have we heard about iPhone 5? Nothing. Did Apple all of the sudden plug the leak. No way. This means that the iPhone 5 is coming at a later date. February 2012? Probably not. November/December 2011? That would be my guess. This will be soon enough for ATT people and late enough for Verizon people. Plus Apple will finally get to cash in on the holiday shoppers. All this is assuming that they actually release the iPhone 5. We may just get a 4Gs like with the 3 series. Now if they do release a 4Gs then it's possible that it may come in June/July (but would probably only be for ATT), but that would mean that we won't see a single (ATT and Verizon all in one) iPhone 5 until sometime between Feb and June of 2012.

Take it or leave it.
    02-10-2011 02:18 PM
    I think fmflex has a point. Typically, if it was to come out in April/May, we'd see some sorta news. Making some room between Verizon and AT&T makes sense to avoid well, anger lol. And right before the holiday season just gives enough time for Verizon folks to settle down a bit. As far as CDMA/GSM as one, possible! BlackBerry's been doin that with their Storm devices ever since.
    02-10-2011 02:31 PM
    We will all see come WWDC. Whether it comes out this June or next year, I'm getting it. Doesn't matter to me.
    02-10-2011 02:38 PM
    I dont know why people are being so retarded asking for proof the iPhone 5 is coming out this summer. If anybody knows Apple, they keep to schedule. They will not hold up iPhone 5 for the entire world because they released it late for Vzn. Did they do this when Rogers loss exclusivity a year ago or so? No

The next gen iPhone will be coming out this summer. Apple isnt passing on billions and billions of dollars. Its a business. THINK!!!

WWDC will be at the beginning of June as it is every year
    liquidzoo and scorpiodsu like this.
    02-10-2011 02:47 PM
    I dont know why people are being so retarded asking for proof the iPhone 5 is coming out this summer. If anybody knows Apple, they keep to schedule. They will not hold up iPhone 5 for the entire world because they released it late for Vzn. Did they do this when Rogers loss exclusivity a year ago or so? No

The next gen iPhone will be coming out this summer. Apple isnt passing on billions and billions of dollars. Its a business. THINK!!!

WWDC will be at the beginning of June as it is every year
    Because proof is better than rumors which right now there is pretty much nothing on the iphone 5. Nobody is being "retarded" as you say and they dont need to release a new phone to make money its something called more customers will become eligible and buy the iphone 4 on verizon and on at&t. They will still make money if they dont release an iphone this summer.
    02-10-2011 03:37 PM
    Because proof is better than rumors which right now there is pretty much nothing on the iphone 5. Nobody is being "retarded" as you say and they dont need to release a new phone to make money its something called more customers will become eligible and buy the iphone 4 on verizon and on at&t. They will still make money if they dont release an iphone this summer.
    A new iPhone will be out this year. After the past 4 years I don't we need physical proof of that. And the iPhone usually doesn't leak out like it did last year so for the most part no one will actually know unless another leak or WWDC. But given past history and to stay up to date with competing devices, a new iPhome coming this year is likely. Like Garz said, they are not going to not make another iPhone just because they just released one on Verizon. They make these things for carriers all around the world and won't hold up for 1. Just my thoughts.
    02-10-2011 04:05 PM
    then you dont know Apple... I wont explain any further and I will say I told you all when June comes. End of discussion
    02-10-2011 04:08 PM
    They may give some type of discount like they did to those who got an smart phone towards the end of the year if they upgraded to the iPhone, but I highly doubt it. VZW is more money hungry than ever.
    02-10-2011 04:09 PM
    then you dont know Apple... I wont explain any further and I will say I told you all when June comes. End of discussion
    I'm guessing the iPhone coming out in the summer may be a "world phone" making full use of the quad-band Qualcom chipset that's in the VZW iPhone4 - and it will be compatible with both AT&T and Verizon... and won't be anything to make those that got iPhones on Verizon now sorry they did.

The next big thing after that is going to be LTE for both AT&T and Verizon... in about 20 months when all of us that got Verizon iPhones on 2 year contracts will be eligible upgrade at promotional rather than full retail pricing.
    02-10-2011 04:14 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD