Sound When Text Sends

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I know what your talking about. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to change this sans jailbreaking. Its the same with the mail up except they give you an option with it, wish they did with the sms sound as well. Hopefully someone else out there has some answers.

tylerd#IM

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I wish I was able to customize the profiles like on my BB. I like the phone to ring, and my texts to make a noise, but email silent. Can't really do that. But, it will never out weigh all the "pros" of the iPhone!
-Tylerd

ViP

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I wish I was able to customize the profiles like on my BB. I like the phone to ring, and my texts to make a noise, but email silent. Can't really do that. But, it will never out weigh all the "pros" of the iPhone!
-Tylerd

Silence your e-mail by going to Settings -- Sounds and turn "New Mail" off. I don't know how to turn off the sent message sound, but that silences your e-mail notifications.

prufrock

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I like my phone set up exactly the way you do: phone rings, text tones, emails no sound. I got this to work on the iphone under Setting-->Sounds. I have the phone set to Marimba, Text to Tri-Tone, and New Mail to Off.

So far this is the closest to what I had set up on my blackberry. I only use Vibrate when I want everything off anyway (like when I'm in a meeting) so the toggle switch works great for this.

Hope this helps! Overall though, I think the iphone is a VAST improvement from my old Blackberry.

Gep

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You can do this, but you have to jailbreak. I just jailbroke mine with greenpoison rc5 for 4.2.1 and works great. No problems at all. I did a little file transfer to change the sentmessage.caf file and presto.......no swoosh sound when sending text.

eatrocks

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
yea i turn all notifications off and check it manually....i have no intention of jailbreaking...at least the text noises aren't annoying

Gep

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah or if you don't mind the vibrate, just set silent to vibrate in settings and turn off the switch on the side of phone and you won't get any sounds except for the vibrate.

tylerd#IM

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting used to it. Its kind of like Facebook Instant message. I can always toggle the switch before sending a text if I have to. Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the help.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
You can do this, but you have to jailbreak. I just jailbroke mine with greenpoison rc5 for 4.2.1 and works great. No problems at all. I did a little file transfer to change the sentmessage.caf file and presto.......no swoosh sound when sending text.

Can you explain this a little further? Thanks.

Gep

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, did so the first day lol.

-you have to have openSSH installed in Cydia
-you need winSCP or DiskAid....i used DiskAid for this
-you need a silent sound file in .caf format
-open DiskAid and connect iPhone
-go to root folder in the left pane
-go to system; library; audio; UIsounds and find the file name "SentMessage.caf"
-I copied this file to my computer just in case something went wrong and I needed the original file again.
-right click on that file on your COMPUTER and rename it like "SentMessage2.caf". do not change the .caf
-now the silent sound file you have on your computer, rename it to SentMassage.caf
-go to DiskAid and at top click on copy files to device; choose the file you renamed to SentMessage.caf (this is your silent sound .caf file)
-a window will come up asking to comfirm file replacement; click yes
-wait a couple of seconds for file to transfer
-disconnect iPhone from computer
-not sure you have to do it, but power cycle phone (i always do this when i change something

Now you have no stupid swoop sound when sending sms messages.
If you want my silent .caf file, send me a message with your email and I'll send it to you. I don't remember where I got it, but it works. Or you can just make your own.

Sorry for the delay in response, but my better half was calling:D

Reactions: busyme and lcargile

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey man, that worked like a charm! Thanks a ton! As an alternative though, you can use iFile (downloaded through cydia and an awesome file management program) and just copy and paste within your iPhone to the correct directory. This is the way I did it and it worked on the first try. Thanks again for the file, this was very helpful as that little "bubbly" sound was getting on my nerves. Again, thanks.

Gep

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well this doesn't just apply to making the sound silent. You could just as well change it to a different sound, other than the default "swoosh"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox