Got my phone on monday, jailbroke with greenpoison and all was well except my battery life was suffering big time. I decided to use the iphone utility to reset back to factory settings and now it is stuck on the boot screen showing the greenpoison logo.

Unfortunately I cant restore via iTunes because my work has it blocked and it cant connect so it looks like I have 5 hours to wait before I can start playing again. Total bummer.
    02-09-2011 12:56 PM
    Buahahahahahahaha. Totally hilarious. However, you know you'll get it back up and running once you get home.
    02-09-2011 01:02 PM
    So, jailbreaking makes the battery life suck? Hmm, maybe I should rethink it then.

Sorry about your problem. But I'm sure you'll be fine once you can get it back sync'ed with iTunes.
    02-09-2011 01:09 PM
    If it makes the battery life suck I will wait. That and the fact that 4.3 is supposed to be released soon so jailbreaking now at least for me doesn't seem worth it.
    02-09-2011 01:11 PM
    Never use the iPhone utlitiy backup. It takes forever to restore. I did it last year on my 3GS, took 2 1/2 days!
    02-09-2011 01:15 PM
    Never use the iPhone utlitiy backup. It takes forever to restore. I did it last year on my 3GS, took 2 1/2 days!
    Well i guess you live and you learn. Regarding the battery life, some people have said that the battery life has increased after jailbreaking but I found that I was losing 15% battery life on my ride into work in the morning alone. Therefore I just wanted to go back to factory settings to see if jailbreaking was causing the problems.

Notice to anyone who jailbroke - dont use the iphone utility because it will brick it
    02-09-2011 01:21 PM
    Well i guess you live and you learn. Regarding the battery life, some people have said that the battery life has increased after jailbreaking but I found that I was losing 15% battery life on my ride into work in the morning alone. Therefore I just wanted to go back to factory settings to see if jailbreaking was causing the problems.

Notice to anyone who jailbroke - dont use the iphone utility because it will brick it
    If we should NOT use the iPhone Utility to revert back to factory settings, what should we use? The iTunes "restore" function?
    02-09-2011 01:47 PM
    What will jailbreaking my phone do for me? Sorry, I've been a blackberry girl until 3 days ago!
    02-09-2011 02:39 PM
    I've owned and jailbroken a 3G, and two i4s, and my battery life did not change whatsoever.
    02-09-2011 02:45 PM
    If we should NOT use the iPhone Utility to revert back to factory settings, what should we use? The iTunes "restore" function?
    Yes. The iPhone Utility could encounter issues and leave your phone bricked or take an extremely long time to do so. Last year when I was selling my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone I wanted to restore to factory without updating. iTunes wouldn't let me restore without upgrading. So I figured I'd use the iPhone utility. Not a good idea. It took 2 1/2 days to complete and I missed out on the sale. So I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you don't have any other options. Just my thoughts.
    02-09-2011 02:49 PM
    I've owned and jailbroken a 3G, and two i4s, and my battery life did not change whatsoever.
    Same here. I always jailbreak my iPhones and never have a significant difference in battery life. It will take a few weeks for the battery to stabilize anyway. You can't really make sound judgments on battery life during the first couple days because it could vary drastically.
    02-09-2011 02:50 PM
    I cannot give comparative stats, I jailbroke less than two hours after taking it out of the box, but I'm at 80% juice after having it off the chrage for almost 5 hours. I did, however, just get my email setup. We will see how things go from here. As long as the battery will last from the time I get up till the time I go to bed, I will be ok.

e_t
    02-09-2011 04:47 PM
    My battery life is fine with a jailbreak.

As for bricking - you can turn an iPhone into a brick, but you can't turn a brick into anything. That means, if you brick your iPhone you can't restore - very few people actually brick their iPhones. (Bork, yes. Brick, no.)

Those of you curious about what jailbreaking can do for you, or what it really is, please visit the jailbreak forum and read the sticky threads.
    02-09-2011 04:51 PM
    The act of jailbreaking won't effect your battery... essentially its just giving you access to the complete system. More often then not it will be one of the new additions or tweaks that will cause the drain. I normally will load install things from Cydia one by one rather than several things at once.. that way I can try and figure out if an app or tweak is affecting my battery.
    02-09-2011 07:06 PM
    I'm wondering if jailbreaking really does affect battery life. I have not jailbroken...yet...but I'm not seeing particularly good battery life on the stock iOS (4.2.6).

It's a new phone with a new update and I'm downloading new apps, so I'm assuming that it will take a few days for things to settle down, including the battery.

That's been my experience in the past, I don't know if it applies to the jailbreaking battery complaints. All I know is that the stock OS battery life isn't impressing me.
    02-09-2011 07:14 PM
    Well there goes me jailbreaking. If this stuff is a discussion, jailbreaking is not for me.
    Last edited by jaycee2007; 02-09-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    02-09-2011 07:31 PM
    This is why some people shouldnt do anything with their phones and definitely shouldnt try and jailbreak/root
    02-09-2011 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD