Alread bricked my iPhone

FrekeyZeeky

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Got my phone on monday, jailbroke with greenpoison and all was well except my battery life was suffering big time. I decided to use the iphone utility to reset back to factory settings and now it is stuck on the boot screen showing the greenpoison logo.

Unfortunately I cant restore via iTunes because my work has it blocked and it cant connect so it looks like I have 5 hours to wait before I can start playing again. Total bummer.

natieya

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So, jailbreaking makes the battery life suck? Hmm, maybe I should rethink it then.

Sorry about your problem. But I'm sure you'll be fine once you can get it back sync'ed with iTunes.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If it makes the battery life suck I will wait. That and the fact that 4.3 is supposed to be released soon so jailbreaking now at least for me doesn't seem worth it.

FrekeyZeeky

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Never use the iPhone utlitiy backup. It takes forever to restore. I did it last year on my 3GS, took 2 1/2 days!

Well i guess you live and you learn. Regarding the battery life, some people have said that the battery life has increased after jailbreaking but I found that I was losing 15% battery life on my ride into work in the morning alone. Therefore I just wanted to go back to factory settings to see if jailbreaking was causing the problems.

Notice to anyone who jailbroke - dont use the iphone utility because it will brick it :)

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Well i guess you live and you learn. Regarding the battery life, some people have said that the battery life has increased after jailbreaking but I found that I was losing 15% battery life on my ride into work in the morning alone. Therefore I just wanted to go back to factory settings to see if jailbreaking was causing the problems.

Notice to anyone who jailbroke - dont use the iphone utility because it will brick it :)

If we should NOT use the iPhone Utility to revert back to factory settings, what should we use? The iTunes "restore" function?

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
What will jailbreaking my phone do for me? Sorry, I've been a blackberry girl until 3 days ago!

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If we should NOT use the iPhone Utility to revert back to factory settings, what should we use? The iTunes "restore" function?

Yes. The iPhone Utility could encounter issues and leave your phone bricked or take an extremely long time to do so. Last year when I was selling my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone I wanted to restore to factory without updating. iTunes wouldn't let me restore without upgrading. So I figured I'd use the iPhone utility. Not a good idea. It took 2 1/2 days to complete and I missed out on the sale. So I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you don't have any other options. Just my thoughts.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've owned and jailbroken a 3G, and two i4s, and my battery life did not change whatsoever.

Same here. I always jailbreak my iPhones and never have a significant difference in battery life. It will take a few weeks for the battery to stabilize anyway. You can't really make sound judgments on battery life during the first couple days because it could vary drastically.

edit_text

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I cannot give comparative stats, I jailbroke less than two hours after taking it out of the box, but I'm at 80% juice after having it off the chrage for almost 5 hours. I did, however, just get my email setup. We will see how things go from here. As long as the battery will last from the time I get up till the time I go to bed, I will be ok.

e_t

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
My battery life is fine with a jailbreak.

As for bricking - you can turn an iPhone into a brick, but you can't turn a brick into anything. That means, if you brick your iPhone you can't restore - very few people actually brick their iPhones. (Bork, yes. Brick, no.)

Those of you curious about what jailbreaking can do for you, or what it really is, please visit the jailbreak forum and read the sticky threads.

JB01

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The act of jailbreaking won't effect your battery... essentially its just giving you access to the complete system. More often then not it will be one of the new additions or tweaks that will cause the drain. I normally will load install things from Cydia one by one rather than several things at once.. that way I can try and figure out if an app or tweak is affecting my battery.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if jailbreaking really does affect battery life. I have not jailbroken...yet...but I'm not seeing particularly good battery life on the stock iOS (4.2.6).

It's a new phone with a new update and I'm downloading new apps, so I'm assuming that it will take a few days for things to settle down, including the battery.

That's been my experience in the past, I don't know if it applies to the jailbreaking battery complaints. All I know is that the stock OS battery life isn't impressing me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods