One touch Silent Mode?

fuzzy#IM

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know of a one touch method to change the phone from vibrate to silent...i work in a large office and I can't have any noise coming from my phone...i realize you can go into settings and turn vibrate off but because I only use those two 'profiles' I would like to switch from one to another

so far i've downloaded a silent ringtone to use as the volume on setting(so i can use the switch to toggle from vibrate to silent), but outgoing text messages still make noise (haven't noticed anything else yet)...

any other ideas, sans jailbreaking

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Use the switch above the volume keys to kill the sounds on your device. Keep in mind it will still vibrate but it does kill the sounds.

fuzzy#IM

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
riiiiiiiiight i get that..........i use vibrate when i'm out of the office......and i need a completely silent mode for in the office

i would like to switch the mode without having to go into settings and turn off the vibrate function.....thats too many steps to do while i'm on the go......looking for a one touch method to go from vibrate to silent

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well turn Vibrate mode off. So when you toggle the switch it toggles between Silent and the sounds. If you have Vibrate on, then the switch toggles between vibrate and the sounds. Get it?

The you can turn vibrate on when you're out the office.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
i get it but would like to be able to toggle without going into the settings

Ok there is no way to toggle between silent, vibrate and sounds, all 3 with just one button.

So you either have to decide if you want to toggle between Silent and sounds OR Vibrate and sounds. That's it. Pick one and live with it or maybe get a device that has profiles, i.e. Blackberry or Android.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Not gonna happen. You unfortunately theres no hardware button for this. There, like most things, very well might be an "app for that" but aside from choosing whether your toggle does vibrate or silent is probably going to be your best bet. Its not like the vibrate is amazingly loud or anything, just use it in the office. Thats what I do and no complaints thus far.

fuzzy#IM

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok there is no way to toggle between silent, vibrate and sounds, all 3 with just one button.

So you either have to decide if you want to toggle between Silent and sounds OR Vibrate and sounds. That's it. Pick one and live with it or maybe get a device that has profiles, i.e. Blackberry or Android.

Do you tell everyone with questions to get other devices? That was super constructive, thanks!

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you tell everyone with questions to get other devices? That was super constructive, thanks!

No I also suggested you live with it as well. ;)

You can jailbreak it and get an app that manages profiles for free. Jailbreaking is easily reversible so don't worry about the "voiding your warranty" stuff because if you ever needed to take it to Apple or VZW you can just back and restore and you're good to go.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Kilofox, in a quiet environment vibrate makes noise that will bother nearby coworkers, sleeping partners, students studying etc. When i used to give tests, vibrate had to be off because it would disturb testtakers in the front. In cubicle city it would be highly annoying if a bunch of people who get a lot of email had phones constantly vibrating. So depending on the office environment at the OP's workplace, it may well be a very sensible policy.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
^^^^^ In my pocket the vibrate mode is inaudible unless you are a dog. Laying on a surface i.e. desk or table... yes is audible.

A dog or Superman can hear it vibrating in your pocket... thats JMO.