Review your Verizon iPhone 4

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
First post here. Previous occasional poster at Android Central, but decided it would be nice to try something different (this is my first iphone... first apple product too). So far, I'm fairly impressed. Here are my likes/dislikes:

Like:

great battery life
great app quality and selection
great signal
great in call sound quality
perfect size and weight
solid build quality
tons of accessory options

Dislike:

keyboard layout (HTC sense keyboard MUCH better)
screen responsiveness a little slow at times.
no dedicated 'back' button.
syncing with itunes (why can't this be done in the background?)
no Amazon mp3 app/cloud drive
pop up notifications (ugh!)
apparently glitchy wifi. have to switch back and forth from airplane mode occasionally to get my wifi connection working again.

Quite a few dislikes, but I had a fairly long list for the HTC Incredible I had before this one too. I figure some of my dislikes are more to do that I've just had the phone for a few days, and will probably get used to it after awhile. Overall, I have no regrets switching to the iphone.

Last edited:

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4 Review

This isn't a comprehensive review by any means, but I have a few things I want to point out. Note: My last phone was a Motorola Droid, before that was BlackBerry Storm 2 and the phone before that was a BlackBerry World Edition. There are several other makes/models in my past, but I'm not goign to bore you with a list of all of my previous phones - besides, you might laugh at some of my past choices...

I'll start with what I miss about the Motorola Droid 2:
  • Free Google Maps Turn-by-Turn Navigation

Uh, that's about it. As it turns out, the iPhone 4 has given me everything that I need out of a phone. The radio is great and if you're here reading this post, then you know about all of the other things that the phone offers that make it great.

It all comes down to usage. I use my phone as, well, a PHONE and need a good quality radio. The quality of my calls has improved after the switch to the iPhone 4. I have several apps (games mostly for the kids and a couple of productivity type of things for me) and have found myself downloading a couple of apps per week.

While I would PREFER to have free turn-by-turn navigation via Google, I ended up downloading Navigon and it's been great so far.

I'm completely satisfied with the 3G speeds. I don't need to be able to be on a call and surfing the Internet at the same time, and don't care at all about 4G. I stream some radio and such, but nothing that would require 4G.

All in all, this is the best cell phone that I've ever had and I don't see myself going back to RIM or any Android-driven device.

Jordanvandyke

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I would have to agree. This is a great phone with everything i have wanted improved in previous devices. The ONLY thing i would have to also agree with is the lack of FREE turn by turn nav.

prchoudh#IM

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Coming from DROID and Blackberry

I was a heavy DROID user. I had the DROID X before the Iphone along with owning the Samsung Galaxy tablet. I was also a Itouch owner as well.

All I can say is wow. Yes Apple products are expensive but you do have more useful apps for the Iphone and the Iphone's social networking apps are a plus. The battery was very annoying on the DROID. I would need to be careful not to use it too much throughout the day. With the Iphone, I can surf the web, text and make occasional calls and charge it every other day.

Initially, I was concerned about upgrading to the Iphone thinking that I would miss the DROID and their apps. There are some things that the DROID does like the widgets that I miss but there are apps to offset this. Plus, this can now fit in my pocket. The DROID was always too big so on occasion, I would forget it somewhere.

All I can say, is that forget the DROID and go with an Iphone if you can.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone - first post, and with my new iPhone to boot!

I am a longtime Blackberry user, but I've tried the Palm Pre + and Droid X. This is my first iPhone, and my first Apple product.

I first need to give credit to the forum members and mods here on TiPb - it is a much different vibe from Crackberry.com or Androidcentral.com. It just feels much less like an "us vs. them" attitude. Thanks to everyone for the great informative posts, and the fantastic opinions on switching over from other platforms. What a nice community. I can only hope I can contribute in the future as much as I will surely take out of this group in the coming months.

Wow is the iPhone 4 different from any Blackberry. I have only had it one day so far, but my initial impressions are:

- no lag
- keyboard better than Droid X
- browser is insane
- a big learning curve if you are a BB fan

I am a patient person, and I look forward to learning about the iPhone user experience. So far it has been very different. It does not seem to have as many customization options as a Blackberry (notifications), but I hear there is an app for that if you JB it. I thought OM6 on the BB was fast, but the iPhone blows it away. The DX had decent apps, but poor battery management, and not quite as polished as iOS.

I can definitely see why people gravitate towards one device or the other. But certainly the iPhone seems like a first-class device. A finished product. Something you can be proud of, and show it off to your friends.

I have rambled on enough. I look forward to lurking/learning in the immediate future, and long-term to contributing meaningful posts to this kind, thoughtful, and knowledgeable community for a long time. Thanks.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm really liking my iPhone4. I also have a Droid X and have had it since it came out July 2010. Wanted to experience the iPhone and am finding it's taking a while to shift gears. At first, it was frustrating not having the menu and return buttons, but I've learned where to find such actions in each app.

The Safari browser is slower than the X browser while on 3G but lightening fast on wifi and I really like the mobile format for some of the web pages (along with the option to view standard screen). I slightly increased the size of the type overall (20 point) and this has made it much easier to view the screen. I especially like the solid feel for the iPhone4, it's nice size overall, and the brilliant screen. I've discovered ways to customize the sceen wallpapers and will be looking into the jailbreak aspects for further customization.

yamahog

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Bought my iPhone 4 at the Verizon store three days ago:

Problems:

When I'd go into contacts and find someone I wanted to text, I'd click on "send text" and the phone pulled up the message app but no contact listed in the box. If I clicked on "cancel" message and then clicked the box again to send a new message, the original person I wanted to text would show up.

The proximity sensor would occasionally cut off my calls when my face would touch the phone's surface during conversations.

The horizontal-vertical thing would lock up from time to time and wouldn't adjust when I changed the position of the phone from "portrait" to "landscape." I would have to cut off, and turn it back on to get the portrait-landscape to go to the correct mode.

Tried to get help from the Genius at the Apple Store, several support techs from Apple's online support and also from the person at the Verizon store who sold me the phone. No one could fix or explain these glitches which were reproduced at both the Apple and Verizon stores. The Apple Genius remarked when he got the text issue to work once in the three times he tried it: "Well, it worked one out of three times, so you know it DOES work."

Huh?

Another issue I had with Apple was when they asked me for the serial number for the iPhone I read the number from the phone box case, the phone's exterior backside and from the "settings" menu; they told me the serial number was not a valid Apple serial number.

Huh?

I returned the phone after two days and took the $35 restocking fee hit.

--Dave

Last edited:

ronney

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the Iphone4 and I don't think it's that great. I personally don't see any difference with that and with the last one...but I know that they did update some things

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I love my iphone 4. Why do I like it better than android? Its stable. My phone is never crashing; I never have an app that is causing issues on my phone. It never re-arranges or deletes my contacts. It just WORKS.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry to iPhone

After being a BlackBerry "power user" for years - and trying to make them work unsuccessfully with my fleet of Mac's- I switched the first day to the VZW iP4. After having it for six months, I'm coming to the conclusion that I really miss my BB Bold 9650. Here's why:

-NOTIFICATIONS (damn that LED light...I miss it dearly)
- iOS5 may address this but my guess is it will pale in comparison to BB

-Calendar functionality
- it takes forever to enter appointments in iCal and it really is the most basic of any calendar I've seen on a mobile device. Where is the conference call functionality? I'm doing 10+ conf calls per week and BB had a super slick system for setting them up. iP4 is embarrassingly weak in this department

-Task integration
- Where is it? I know "there's an app for that" for it should be built in. Again, iOS5 supposedly deals with this but we'll see

-Battery Life
-dead by 3pm. Used to make it to 9pm with my BB

Now, EVERYTHING else on the iP4 is superior to BB- media, camera, sync functionality (with MobileMe and soon iCloud), apps, etc.

I'm a huge Apple fanboy and really love the ecosystem. I just feel that the iPhone was intended to be a media device that can do other things where the BB is a business tool that tries to do media. I'm hoping iOS5 changes my opinion.

For now, I'll stick with iP4 but if iOS5 doesn't really make sweeping changes, I think I'll be forced to - gasp- switch back to BB because it really is a superior tool for business.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
As I have now written my review three times, I guess I will keep it short.

I've always been a android user. ALWAYS. Swore I'd never own an iPhone! Especially the iP4!
Android forever.............

Well my tune has changed.

And I will never go back.

I owned 4 Droid's. A Droid 2, and 4 Droid X's on VZW.
All of them, every single one, broke. Software...........

The iPhone excels over these choices in nearly every aspect:

*No more FC's

*Software always works (in my experience)

*No lag, no long boot-up times

*No freezing, no locking, no glitches

*software is smooth. Seamless

*The camera is the best that I've ever had on a phone (the video too). Wouldn't even know that the FFC is VGA.

*The speakers are powerful, and rich

*The battery is........wow. Just wow. 4 times longer battery life then on ANY of my android phones.

Everything about this phone is better than any of my previous Droid's in nearly every aspect......but there are a few issues (although tiny):

*No notification LED. I miss that little green light in the morning showing me all the excitement of the night before that I missed.

*Ringtones were WAY WAY WAY WAY easier to do.

*Google maps navi. But map-quest (FREE) has filled that void (although not completely). Mapquest gets the job done on the iPhone, but not with the same polish.

*Folders could hold more than 12 items.

I know many of you reading this are Android users looking for a possible change. A new scene. I know I read this thread for months before I made the jump. All I can say is: TRY IT! 14 day's to give it a shot. I did it, and I know I will not be going back.

Coraya

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought my iPhone for Verizon a week ago this past Saturday. All I've done is boast about battery life here on the forums and people tell me I'm lying about the day and a half of battery life I get. What people don't get is that you have to charge your phone correctly the first three times. Let it drain then fill. It doesn't work like your car. Putting in the gas constantly won't help it last longer in the long haul. Anyway as I was saying battery life is much better than any blackberry I have ever had. I'm a past blackberry 8330,8530,9630 and 9650 user. They all stressed me out. Needed battery pulls a d when I needed the phone during an emergency it wasnt always there for me.

I went to NYC a month ago and my blackberry died 5 hours after I got there. This past weekend I was there again a d I didn't charge my phone until the next morning. This phone is incredible. Especially the apps. There really is an app to satisfy all of your needs.

This touch screen is the greatest touchscreen I've ever typed on. It doesn't miss a beat. I was always stressed typing on my moms droid x. The camera is great. FaceTime is wonderful other than when people are checking up on you to make sure your not lying about where you are lol.

What's not to love! This is the Verizon iPhone 4! It's THE phone on THE network! Perfect lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2