Review your Verizon iPhone 4

robertfly

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Love it!!

So my smartphone progression was as follows.. Palm 700w (ouch), Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Storm 2 (yes, apparently I was a glutton for punishment) and now the iPhone 4.

Night and Day does not being to describe the experience. What makes me the most happy is the iPhone does what it's supposed to do and does it well. The Storm series tripped over itself when it came to multimedia. The messaging aspect was great, however if you were getting a Storm you were expecting a multimedia experience as well.

The notifications are different on the iPhone, so getting used to that. My other point/question and maybe somebody here can help.

On my blackberry I kept some word documents and excel files on the BB. I would update these on occasion on my PC and copy them over when I connected, this way I can attach them and send them to emails from the Blackberry. I don't necessary need to edit these files on the iPhone etc.

So, what I am asking is.. is there a way or app that will allow me to sync Microsoft office documents from my PC to the iPhone and also allow me to attach them in e-mails? I know there are workarounds (forwarding the attachments to myself etc) but I would like to do it in the way described.

Aside from this question, this is a great device and am thrilled to have one!!

Last edited:

Bmxbiker46

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Only miss one thing about the BB Tour: the Bedside 'manner mode' that when I dropped it into the desktop charging dock, it displayed a clock, and disabled all alerts/tones for everything but calls... Looking for an app for that.

try 'alarm rebel' or 'nightstand' there both good for overnight clocks, alarms, ect. I use nightstand over the stock clock app

martymapson

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Mapquest and Waze are free gps apps for the iphone.

I came from a Moto Droid. So far I like my iPhone. There are a few things I need to get used to. I really like the apps. There is less free apps for the iPhone (it seems) but there are more quality apps.

I much preferred the navigation features on the droid, so far. I may find an app I like as much but so far, it's hit and miss. The droid had a great nav for free. The iPhone has several available, but they are all either expensive, or have a monthly payment. I'm not cheap, I guess it's just hard to spend money, especially a monthly payment on a GPS when such a good one was available free on the Droid.

Another minor complaint is I'll miss my Droid's alarm clock function. Drop it in it's cradle, and it turned into my bedside alarm clock. I tried an app on the iPhone to use as an alarm, and it worked. But overnight it shuts off the screen. So if I want to see the time, I have to turn the phone back on.

Those are really my only complaints and I admit, their minor. Well, the GPS one isn't minor to me, I drive for a living and rely on my phone as my GPS.

The things I like:

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I've owned a few of their products over the years. They do a few things right. Packaging is one thing. It's very minor, but it's just refreshing to buy something that doesn't come in one of those clear plastic packages you need a chain saw to get into. They package stuff in a box that is never bigger than it had to be, and everything fits in nicely.

I like the look and feel of Apple products. They have a solid, quality feel to them. As a gear head, I like that.

The screen is great. That's all I have to say about that.

The app selection is tough to beat. I don't know who has more apps right now, Android or iPhone, but I do know that iPhone has more apps I want to own.

The camera just works better. I don't care what the MP count it. To my eyes, the iPhone camera takes a better picture.

I like the selection of accessories. You can go just about anywhere and have several cases and docks to choose from. With the Droid, once Verizon started selling the Droid 2 and Droid X, you couldn't find anything for the original Droid. Not so with Apple. When I went to get a case, it was a culture shock. I'm used to needing a case, going to the store and buying the only case they have that fits my phone. With the iPhone, I went to Verizon, Best Buy and the Apple Store. At each place, there were literally so many cases for my phone, I would lock up. No idea which one I wanted!

Thats all I can think of for now. And Rage HD just got done installing so I'm going to check it out.

Mapquest and Waze are free GPS apps for the Iphone. I prefer Mapquest, it has worked fine for me.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
First Impression

As a Mac guy I really, really want to love my new iPhone. I think that this is clearly a better media device than my trusty BlackBerry 9650, surfs the web better, better camera, etc. The "fun" items are clearly better.

I really don't mean it to, but I'm sure this will come off as a rant. I wanted to give my honest first impressions coming from BlackBerry. I'm sure I'll find work-arounds but here's where I'm at right now after three days with the device-

From a "getting things done" perspective, I'm really disappointed. Here are a few items: ***IF YOU HAVE SOLUTIONS TO THESE ISSUES PLEASE LET ME KNOW***

-No LED notifications...knew that going in, just never realized how much I relied on it until I don't have it. BerryBuzz is an amazing app for Berry...maybe the iPhone5 will have LED

-The calendar is weak. One item in particular- I have multiple conference calls per week. There is no conference call option built into the calendar like there is with BlackBerry. By that I mean I can enter an event in my BB calendar and check the "conference call" option and it gives me a spot to enter the call-in number AND the access code. When the alert tells me it's time for the conference call I can click "join now" and it dials the number then the passcode. I don't have to remember all of that info or write it down so i can manually enter it on my iPhone. Perhaps there's an app, but I haven't found it yet...suggestions anyone?

-To Do list? Is there one? I haven't found it. It could be that I'm missing it but I now have to put things into the calendar as appointments to get a notification for it. I use the tasks feature in my iCal but those don't show up on my phone...even using MobileMe. I know there are apps, but I haven't had time to find a good one yet.

-Battery life is 2/3 what my BB was. It could be that I'm spending more time playing with my new toy (that display is simply amazing) than my Berry, but I'm charging it by 2pm every day.

-Signal strength is horrific. I can no longer hold onto calls like I could on my Berry. I work in SD/UT/WY where there is sketchy signal at times and my Berry would allow me to talk for much longer than my iPhone before dropping the call.

Looking forward to so great solutions from the group. I'll post again after a week or so. Thanks!

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, can't help with most, but...
-The calendar is weak. One item in particular- I have multiple conference calls per week. There is no conference call option built into the calendar like there is with BlackBerry. By that I mean I can enter an event in my BB calendar and check the "conference call" option and it gives me a spot to enter the call-in number AND the access code. When the alert tells me it's time for the conference call I can click "join now" and it dials the number then the passcode. I don't have to remember all of that info or write it down so i can manually enter it on my iPhone. Perhaps there's an app, but I haven't found it yet...suggestions anyone?

-To Do list? Is there one? I haven't found it. It could be that I'm missing it but I now have to put things into the calendar as appointments to get a notification for it. I use the tasks feature in my iCal but those don't show up on my phone...even using MobileMe. I know there are apps, but I haven't had time to find a good one yet.

I think you can put in two comma's in after the phone number then the conference number. I am not sure if it was the iPhone or the Good app I need to use for my work email, but when I click on the phone number, it asked if I would like to add a conference number, then gave me a list of items it thought was the conference code. It then dialed, an had the commas and code.

As far as to do, I use toodledo.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, can't help with most, but...

I think you can put in two comma's in after the phone number then the conference number. I am not sure if it was the iPhone or the Good app I need to use for my work email, but when I click on the phone number, it asked if I would like to add a conference number, then gave me a list of items it thought was the conference code. It then dialed, an had the commas and code.

As far as to do, I use toodledo.

Thanks Starbird. I'll give that a try.

lkexby

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Moto Droid. So far I like my iPhone. There are a few things I need to get used to. I really like the apps. There is less free apps for the iPhone (it seems) but there are more quality apps.

I much preferred the navigation features on the droid, so far. I may find an app I like as much but so far, it's hit and miss. The droid had a great nav for free. The iPhone has several available, but they are all either expensive, or have a monthly payment. I'm not cheap, I guess it's just hard to spend money, especially a monthly payment on a GPS when such a good one was available free on the Droid.

Another minor complaint is I'll miss my Droid's alarm clock function. Drop it in it's cradle, and it turned into my bedside alarm clock. I tried an app on the iPhone to use as an alarm, and it worked. But overnight it shuts off the screen. So if I want to see the time, I have to turn the phone back on.

Those are really my only complaints and I admit, their minor. Well, the GPS one isn't minor to me, I drive for a living and rely on my phone as my GPS.

The things I like:

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I've owned a few of their products over the years. They do a few things right. Packaging is one thing. It's very minor, but it's just refreshing to buy something that doesn't come in one of those clear plastic packages you need a chain saw to get into. They package stuff in a box that is never bigger than it had to be, and everything fits in nicely.

I like the look and feel of Apple products. They have a solid, quality feel to them. As a gear head, I like that.

The screen is great. That's all I have to say about that.

The app selection is tough to beat. I don't know who has more apps right now, Android or iPhone, but I do know that iPhone has more apps I want to own.

The camera just works better. I don't care what the MP count it. To my eyes, the iPhone camera takes a better picture.

I like the selection of accessories. You can go just about anywhere and have several cases and docks to choose from. With the Droid, once Verizon started selling the Droid 2 and Droid X, you couldn't find anything for the original Droid. Not so with Apple. When I went to get a case, it was a culture shock. I'm used to needing a case, going to the store and buying the only case they have that fits my phone. With the iPhone, I went to Verizon, Best Buy and the Apple Store. At each place, there were literally so many cases for my phone, I would lock up. No idea which one I wanted!

Thats all I can think of for now. And Rage HD just got done installing so I'm going to check it out.

For Navigation I'm using Waze and Skobbler; Home - skobbler - smart apps and more based on the OpenStreetMap - OSM Great apps.

binkins

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Iphone as great as I anticipated - one issue

LOVE IT, had a storm switched to droid in July. Battery went down in minutes (or at least it seemed that way). Hated it, apps were crap. Have an Ipad and touch so it's like a homecoming as far as that is concerned. Only one thing so far. I went on itunes on my phone and downloaded to ringtones. On my other phone they popped right up in my useable ringtone library but these are existing under my itunes folders. Do I have to sync it up with my itunes account on my computer to move them over or is there another way? :p

xtremegmc80

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Im new here, I LOVE IT! makes the bold 9700 looks like antiqueberry! i came from att, now am on verizon, loving every minute of it, its like its surgically attached to my hand!:p

Reactions: Reguru#AC

cariduros

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I love mine as well. The only thing I miss is not being able to add a webmail account. My work uses OWA and doesn't have exchange. BB has this ability. Aside from that, leaps and bounds over my Storm and 8830.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I love mine as well. The only thing I miss is not being able to add a webmail account. My work uses OWA and doesn't have exchange. BB has this ability. Aside from that, leaps and bounds over my Storm and 8830.

Have you tried setting it up as exchange? I thought all OWA had an exchange beck end.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Well - let's start off with the bad:

It died. Seriously - went totally 100% tits up, kaput, nothing. Suddenly and without warning. Verizon store laughed and said "we've never seen this" and I told them I hadn't either. It had to have been a total fluke though. Replaced without issue and after hitting my Exchange server again then restoring through iTunes basically nothing missing. Morale to this story -(1) sync your phone often as backups are your friend. (2) the Cloud is really your friend and your data belongs there. ;o) Dropbox is a God send on this phone in many ways.

Now the good - it's better than my 3G was. The reception is awesome and I'm very, very happy with hardware and software. There are a few Blackberry things I miss (bedstand night mode with quiet except alarm in the morning, etc.) but those are far outweighed by the good. Battery life has not been as good as I expected initially but it's a new device and I'll reserve final judgment until after it's gone through a few charging cycles. Hopefully it'll improve after the 3rd & 4th time. I have been wailing on it in all fairness. Display, camera, total "slickness" and integration that I've come to expect and love from Apple, it's all there. Email is as slick as on my iPad and there have been no crashes. Battery pulls were all to frrequent on my Bold 9650. Don't even talk to me about that POS Droid Eris I suffered through for 6 months before literally throwing it out the window driving one day.

The one thing I HATE - you have to take gorgeous industrial design that Apple spent millions on and stick it inside a case because it's glass and that could break in a drop! :-(

Glad to be back in the fanboi camp. I know I bought too early (if 5 does come out in July for VZW as well) but couldn't wait so I'm happy for now!

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Below are my impressions after having used the Verizon iPhone4 for a full 7 days.

As background, I switched from a Droid Incredible (had it since Launch Day, 4/2010) and am a big fan of the Android OS. I jailbroke my ViP4 to customize it as close to the way I had my Incredible set up.

Verizon iPhone 4 Pros:
1. GREAT reception/signal strength with the iPhone - There are numerous areas in my neighborhood where my Incredible had a very weak signal. The iPhone delivers clear calls that do not drop out. Calls also connect much faster to the network than the Inc.
2. Battery Life - talking/texting/e-mailing for a full day is no prob.
3. Beautiful design - it feels like a high-end, luxury watch
4. FaceTime - works great, seamless operation
5. Truly delivers the overall Apple experience - I have been a longtime user of MAC computers and love the little touches built-in to the iPhone. For instance, the "woosh" jet fighter tone that alerts you that an e-mail has been sent successfully.
6. The sheer volume of apps - no contest vs. Android Market. Plus, the apps work seamlessly with the OS.

Verizon iPhone4 Cons:
1.) I miss the haptic feedback (keys that vibrate when pressed) on my Incredible. It really helps when typing on a touch screen. There is a jailbreak app called "Haptic Pro," which I installed, but it's not the same as having it built-in from the factory.
2.) The iPhone is a bit heavier, ~0.6g heavier than the Inc.
3.) The iPhone's vibrate motor is weaker than the Inc.
4.) It may be a minor thing for most people, but I really like/miss the optical joystick on the Inc., it allows you to precisely navigate to the spot you want when typing/editing.
5.) Jailbreaking and downloading apps to customize the phone is time-consuming. Many of the notification options (custom ringtones, SMS alerts, e-mail tones) are easily customizable right out of the box with an Android phone.

These are just initial observations from someone who is a fan of the Android OS. However, I am leaning towards keeping my iPhone because the reception/signal strength is so much better (at least in my area) than my Inc.

I will continue to put the iPhone through its paces for 6 more days before deciding whether to keep or return. I really want to love it because of the seamless integration with my other Apple devices......

moomps

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So far, I think this is really a great phone. I have been with Verizon since the days when they were US West Cellular thru Airtouch and think they have the greatest customer service available. My last phone was an HTC Eris and it was a fun smartphone to play with - good apps and OK speed. The only little issue I had with it was I COULDN'T MAKE A PHONE CALL!!! The dialer worked some of the time and the favorites worked rarely. I was really tempted to go back to my normal phone and throw that thing in a snowbank somewhere. Now - with my Iphone, I can have all the apps I want and actually use the device as intended - as a telephone. So, overall, I'm very happy with my new IPhone 4.

ivybiznatch

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I got my ViP yesterday...a day earlier than I expected. So far I am thrilled!!! I have had consistent 3-4 bars where my Incredible would have none. It is a bit heavier than the Incredible, but I find it easier to hold because of the thickness. And so far the battery use blows the Incredible out of the water. :)

Blackbelt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I love this phone. I am an apple guy with an Ipad, 2 Mac pro(s) and an IMac. I left PC behind 5 years ago and have never looked back. This phone is a piece of art and Verizon makes it even more exciting.
Thank you Steve and Verizon.

cellphonejedi

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Droid Fascinate, they seem to do the exact same things that I need!! But now, I dont have to open other programs to move media from iTunes to Droid. So that is a huge bonus. I do miss the Android Market, but Im adapting to the App Store and iTunes nicely. I love how I can mirror all my apps on my iphone4 and my ipad. And using talkatone means I can still keep my GTalk friends. Like I never left Droid. I rather like using talkatone and GV Connect on my ipad to make phonecalls as well.

I find I am charging the iphone a bit more frequently than my Fascinate, but Im sure that has to do with me flipping through the App Store and Netflix...lol Best investment Ive made so far? A powermat. Hassle-Free charging!! Slide in powermat case, drop on mat and forget it!! Found it on clearance @ Bed Bath and Beyond of all things!!

With all things now being Apple in my world....I can finally say "The Circle is Now Complete"!!

Last edited: