Review your Verizon iPhone 4

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Love the battery life. coming from android the battery would always die and would need to charge it throughout the day where as I am going on a day and a half with my iphone. Love the screen it looks amazing even at 3.5 inches. Was definitely worth the wait.

wolverine318

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from an ipod touch user (first generation) and a blackberry storm1 and storm2.

I love my new iphone. It much more snappier and intuitive than my bb storms. The iOS is much more polished than the BB OS 5.X. The app selection is definitely much better. However, I knew this coming in from an ipod touch. My calls are also much clearer than my storm. The iphone webkit is definitely much better. Well that is obvious considering the bb platform has one of the slowest and buggy webkits in the mobile market.

cons: My only con is a lack of profiles. I appreciated being able to setup custom ringtone, text messaging, and notification profiles on my storm.

Besides that I love my new iphone. :D

Reactions: blitzjb

mountainhouse

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone. Wonderful! So many apps, so little time. :)

I live in an area where Verizon service is not 100%. Always a little difficult using a phone in the house. I was certainly surprised that the iPhone gets a good signal throughout the house. Same was true this morning in another place I've had trouble before. So reception quality definitely exceeds my expectations. Past phones: LG Cosmos and LG VX8350.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's everything I expected. The only thing that kept me from getting an iPhone a long time ago was AT&T's network where I live. Only miss one thing about the BB Tour: the Bedside 'manner mode' that when I dropped it into the desktop charging dock, it displayed a clock, and disabled all alerts/tones for everything but calls... Looking for an app for that.

kevinah77

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So far I am loving my iPhone. I have a 3rd gen iTouch and was able to transfer all my apps right over into the phone. Also my old phone was the Palm Pre Plus, which I was able to costomize a little more, but the battery life was horrible on that phone and I'm loving how the battery lasts on the iPhone. I highly recommend to everyone picking up the phone to go and get Ghost Armor put on your phone. That is the first thing I did once I received the phone and it is great.

debo6052

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Love my new iphone. Had to redo all my ringtones but wasn't too bad, used FREE 'Ringtone Designer' app from itunes. Also was able to set different ringtone for contacts by going into contacts on iphone & editing. Battery life is awesome.

lmac4cy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
This is my first post on here. I came from a Blackberry 8330 that I have had for a couple of years. I loved it put it started to slow down towards the end, I think it knew it was getting replaced;). I received mine on Monday the 7h as part of the pre-order and I am not sure what I would do without it now. I love the ease of use and how simple everything is to get to. Also having music, phone, calendar, etc. all in one place is a double bonus. I did have an Ipod touch and know my way around the Iphone but I am still learning and finding new things.

mrsFAB

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
hubby says...

I have the AT&T iPhone 4 and hubby has the VZW one. So far he is in love with the battery life. He came from a Droid not-so-Incedible. He says that it's EVERYTHING that he expected, based on my love for the iPhone 4 and everything that I raved about... except for the data is slower than my AT&T iPhone 4.

Fortunately that's not such a big deal and now hubby is an iPhone fanboy too!

*sidebar* Oh, I bought a lot of cases off of eBay and they fit both AT&T and VZW iPhones. Just make sure the space on the upper left side buy the volume buttons is open for all three buttons.

Last edited:

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Love it. Had a first gen iPod touch and a Palm Pre Plus

Things I have notice in these 48 hours with the device that I love:
* GPS is SUPER FAST. Faster than my standalone, and the Google Maps app on the Pre is not even in the same league.
* Temperature: Pre would get SUPER HOT even with very little use. iPhone? Been using it nearly constantly during waking hours and never even close.
* Data is much more reliable than it was on the Pre. There is a 2-3 mile stretch on my way to work that is the busiest, where you sit and roll about 10 MPG. Well, I live in SC, and the radio is terrible. So I use an app (TuneIn Radio - Used it on the pre, got it on the iPhone now) to listen to WAAF in Boston. Well, this stretch would come and go with data. So far with the iPhone? No issues.

That is just the not so obvious things I love.

The more obvious: Battery, one device instead of 2, speed, etc.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Blackberry Storm and Storm2 . . I couldn't be happier!! In a nutshell, the iPhone4 makes the Storms seem like "dumb phones". I won't post everything that I love about the iPhone (I don't have that much time !!) - it's that good !!

What I would like to see get better:
The way the iPhone alerts with message notifications (sms, mms, email etc . . ) is a bit quirky. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but the way the Blackberry handles alerts is much better - in my opinion.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Blackberry Storm and Storm2 . . I couldn't be happier!! In a nutshell, the iPhone4 makes the Storms seem like "dumb phones". I won't post everything that I love about the iPhone (I don't have that much time !!) - it's that good !!

What I would like to see get better:
The way the iPhone alerts with message notifications (sms, mms, email etc . . ) is a bit quirky. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but the way the Blackberry handles alerts is much better - in my opinion.

Funny. I don't know if this was the iPhone itself, or the Good app I use for work email, but I tapped the number in a meeting that was starting, and before it dialed, it asked if I wanted to add a conference number to it. I was amazed! And I said to myself, this is what a SMART phone should be.

As far as the notifications, I think now that is the #1 gripe. Coming from the pre, I will say, that is the one area that the pre has over the iPhone. But, good news. Apple hired the developer who came up with the pre notification system, so hopefully that is part of iOS 5

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Funny. I don't know if this was the iPhone itself, or the Good app I use for work email, but I tapped the number in a meeting that was starting, and before it dialed, it asked if I wanted to add a conference number to it. I was amazed! And I said to myself, this is what a SMART phone should be.

As far as the notifications, I think now that is the #1 gripe. Coming from the pre, I will say, that is the one area that the pre has over the iPhone. But, good news. Apple hired the developer who came up with the pre notification system, so hopefully that is part of iOS 5

Yeah, . . . picking things "wrong" with this phone is like looking for a stretch mark on a sports illustrated swimsuit model. This phone is awesome!

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am in heaven! over 3 years ago when Steve Jobs announced the iPhone, I was SO jealous of AT&T users. I work for a company that only uses Verizon, so I would hear those hopeful rumors of iPhone going to Verizon and just believed that it would never come to be after awhile.

So I picked up the iPod Touch to have an iPhone experience without the phone, and have upgraded as the Touch Generations improved. It had me wanting the idea of having just one device on one platform, rather than a Smartphone AND my Touch which was capable of the same PDA functions. It has felt redundant for the longest time, and a bit annoying to check for 2 devices before I left for the day.

Then the rumors picked up BIGTIME a couple months ago, CES came and went, followed by Verizon's event for an announcement......and then it came to be :D

So I found myself less on Android Central, and more on TiPb looking for more news, seeking answers to unanswered questions in regards to the pre-order, and used these forums as a support group as we all waited for 3AM Feb 3rd. I had my gameplan all set up that night :p I was going to come home, eat dinner, spend time with the family, and when everyone went to sleep, watch some TV, and wait......

So 2:55AM arrived, I went into my office to go to Verizon to anxiously await the countdown clock they had to wind down, and it wasn't there :eek: I could order immediately. I clicked on the link to take me to the order screen, and it consistently took me to a server error screen. In panic, I went to Apple's site to preorder there instead. It let me get all the way to the payment, and it crashed as well. Now getting impatient, I went back to Verizon's site and tried to get to an order screen, and over and over it gave me the server crashed screen. Thinking I stayed up THAT long for nothing, I went back to Apple's site, put all the information in there again, and hit the pay now button....it went through and I printed my confirmation as I gasped a HUGE sigh of relief, but I was still not completely comfortable until I received that reassuring confirmation email telling me my 32GB Black Verizon iPhone is purchased :).

I was a bit bothered by the fact that while ordering I could edit my billing information, but not my shipping information, which showed my Boss's name, and the building address, but I could not add the company name, suite number, nor change the ATTN to name :mad: I called Apple, they said I couldn't make any changes until it arrived at the delivery facility, they would have to make an attempt and then they could correct the address and deliver it the next day. I was a bit disappointed about this, but for my "inconvenience" the guy on the line said they would be happy to send me a free case. That definitely made the wait a bit more forgiving as they saved me some money, I chose the Black Bumper case. So the week went by as many guessed at when we would receive our prized treasures. Will it come on the 10th? Before the 10th? Would they hold it or send it?

Then the email arrived allowing me to track it from China, to Alaska, to Kentucky, to NJ, to yesterday morning seeing my coworker signed for it and it would be sitting on my desk awaiting me to free it from that box :D

The funny thing about all this is, all the excitement, anxiety, impatience, the spectrum of desire for this product was all kept inside as people would think I was NUTS being THIS excited for a phone :p

So I arrived at my job yesterday at around 11AM, opened up the UPS box, you would think there would had been a glow coming out of that box like the diner scene in Pulp Fiction :p I removed the shrinkwrap, opened the box and just held it and admired it. Just nothing but incredible quality and so well worth the money spent. Those 2 pieces of dark glass with the steel center just ooze elegance. I pressed the power button as the Apple logo booted, and the plug in screen appreared. I plugged it into my laptop and activated everything through iTunes. The screen appeared and I was so impressed with that screen. This device is one of a kind. I chose to start as a new device rather than recover from the Touch as I enjoy the setting up process on a new device with a new platform. So I loaded the apps into it, and held off synching the music as I knew that would be an all night process.

Like I said earlier, I was very familar with IOS from using the Touch, but there was something nice about being able to rely completely on it as opposed to carrying the second device. I messaged a couple people to see how it worked, I made a couple of phonecalls and truly enjoyed the crystal clear clarity of the voice. I didn't expect it to be that great. I customized the screens with my wallpapers, and icons. Moving from screen to screen appeared so smooth, and a little bit snappier than the Touch for some reason....I am guessing the increased RAM.

The camera is almost good enough to replace my point and shoot, it's that good, and extremely functional. I took some regular test photos around my office as well as some stellar Macro shots. I shot some simple HD movies just to see how they turned out, if you haven't updated your camera recently, no need to at this point.

The setup process to get the iPhone to be "Yours" is so simple. Apple really knows how to create. IOS is gorgeous, the interface removes so many steps to set it up that you tend to have to deal with when setting up a smartphone. All the menu options are laid out in one area. If you are looking for something, it isn't hard to find it.

The full music collection syncing was a bit long. I have well over 5,000 songs in my collection. I used the iTunes option to down convert the music to 128kbps to fit as much as I could. I had 4,172 songs to synch along with 4 videos. I plugged it in at around 11 last night, it didn't complete until around 9:30 this morning as it individually converts each song before moving them to the iPhone.

Part of the love of having the iPhone and being able to count on it is Calendar notifications. I probably could had gone with a dumb phone for years and used the Touch for my PDA if it had a vibrate feature. (And data for email of course) The only negative I have found on it though is the vibrate is a tad weak, and that and lack of notification light would be the only complaints.

Coming from an Android, it is nice to see that just about all the apps I downloaded on the Droid are also available on the iPhone. Even better is a lot of those apps look better on the iPhone.

One other thing about what I like about moving to one device is, in my car, I have a cable that comes out of the console with the iPod connector. So I had the mini USB charger coming out of the console that would go to the cradle for the Droid X, and then I had the other wire often crossing and that would go for the iPod. I also dont have any way to connect the Droid to my car, so great services like Pandora could not be enjoyed.....until now :D

So to me, this is much more than the iPod Touch, it is SO much better having data along with Verizons reliable network. I guess it is a plus that I haven't had AT&T on the iPhone, because the complaints I have heard about in regards to it being a slower data network aren't slow at all to me, they are just as fast, or slightly faster than the Droid. So far this has exceeded my expectations. What could they possibly do to top this? Oh yes, add a 64GB to the lineup ;)

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the VZW BB Bold 9650. I've had the iPhone since Monday and I'm very happy that I made the switch. The OS is much smoother on the iPhone vs the BB, at least IMO.

Two things that I'm missing: (1) LED notification light (especially since I was using BerryBuzz, which was so customizable for notifications) and (2) ability to customize ringtone levels (eg, Low, Loud).

jb20

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

As far as the notifications, I think now that is the #1 gripe. Coming from the pre, I will say, that is the one area that the pre has over the iPhone. But, good news. Apple hired the developer who came up with the pre notification system, so hopefully that is part of iOS 5[/QUOTE

If you use gmail there is a great app named push for gmail. A friend of mine who uses an Iphone showed me the app. My biggest gripe with the iphone was the email notification. If an sms can pop on the screen why not an email. Well Push for gmail does that and even better you have the option to use mobile gmail which allows you to do everything you do on the desk version . Star a message go directly into Google Docs or tie it with the iphone built in mail app. I purchased the app the 1st day receiveing the phone. Now whenever I receive an email my notification from who and the email topic pop up.

Try it . If you are a person who relies on email you wont be dissapointed

jb20

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

As far as the notifications, I think now that is the #1 gripe. Coming from the pre, I will say, that is the one area that the pre has over the iPhone. But, good news. Apple hired the developer who came up with the pre notification system, so hopefully that is part of iOS 5[/QUOTE

If you use gmail there is a great app named push for gmail. A friend of mine who uses an Iphone showed me the app. My biggest gripe with the iphone was the email notification. If an sms can pop on the screen why not an email. Well Push for gmail does that and even better you have the option to use mobile gmail which allows you to do everything you do on the desk version . Star a message go directly into Google Docs or tie it with the iphone built in mail app. I purchased the app the 1st day receiveing the phone. Now whenever I receive an email my notification from who and the email topic pop up.

Try it . If you are a person who relies on email you wont be dissapointed

I left out that you can also customize your ringtone options for the messages. You are not tied down into one notification sound. All of this is in the settings option.

The developer in the app store is ilegendSoft Inc.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I love this thing. I have been an iPhone fanboy from day one but unfortunately, like most people in this thread, AT&T was most definitely not an option for where I live. I was very happy to hear that the network that I have been with for years has finally opened the door for the rest of us to enjoy the iPhone. You know that commercial that says, "To all of our loyal customers that always thought this day would come, thank you."? Well, I was one of those. Also, a huge shout out to TiPB for bringing us the latest and greatest on the iWorld. You guys are great and I am glad to "officially" be apart of the community. :)

Edit:
100th POST!!! I should win something...fitting that as soon as I get my iPhone, I become an iPhone Intermediate...lol

drew1964

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well have had the phone since Monday and I love it. I came from an old Motorola v325 so this is my first smart phone. Dont know how I went this long without one. The screen is very responsive to the touch. Have had no issues getting my e mails. Love the voice command controls. The apps are just awesome. From the flashlight to netflix cant get enough of them. Especially like the Dragon dictation one. Very accurate and I dont need to even use the virtual keypad to e mail or send text. Battery is OK as long as I dont surf a lot. Do need to charge it everyday. The only thing I have not tried yet is using a bluetooth headset. If anyone has any recommendations on one would be great. I ear glasses at times so dont know if this would interfere with the fitting on the ear. Would also like one that goes over ear vs in ear.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site

+1. I hope that a more elegant, customizable notification system is revealed in iOS5!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox