Review your Verizon iPhone 4

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a 3rd and now 4th gen iPod touch. While it should be somewhat the same, and in many ways it is, it still seems like a huge upgrade over the 4th gen touch. The iPhone is a lot easier to hold and type on than the thin 4th gen, my fingers have been flying. I do wish there was one single place to see all my new notifications, but I've at least put them all on the first screen so I can sort of see them at first glance.

Yesterday morning I went for my first run with Nike +GPS actually getting to use the GPS part (was still amazingly accurate on the iPod, though), and I just think actually seeing your route is pretty cool.

Maps are WAY faster to find me than on my 9650.
Call quality is much better.
There are fewer clicks/scrolls to do things. Texting used to be a 4 or 5 click process on the BB, plus all the scrolling, now I'm in with a couple of quick taps.
I don't think we even need to discuss web browsing and non-truncated, HTML emails.
I do miss bedside mode, but I'll get over it. ;)

All in all, it was the phone I've been waiting for. It is so nice to not have to carry 2 devices anymore!

ETA - How could I leave out the camera?!?! It is light years away from the hugely lagging/poor quality of the BB!

Angikat

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely adore it! I was working Monday when mine came in. my husband called to tell me it had been delivered and it was all I could do to finish my work day! I came from the blackberry storm 2 but my daughters have iPod touch and iPhone from AT&T so I already knew it would be nice however in our area AT&T is terrible, no service at all at home and dropped calls all the time! None of this with Verizon, I couldn't be happier. This phone is so much smoother than the blackberry, sounds better and I was able to get everything transferred to my new iPhone with ease. My husband has a droid x and i really can't bash it, i'm a fan of it too. I guess we have the best of both worlds now. I
am a smartphone junkie and have got my fix!

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't sure I'd be able to give my Blackberry Curve 8330. It was the first smartphone I'd ever had and I really like it, but the software was so outdated and slow. I'd tried upgrading to a newer Curve 8530 and I didn't like how cheaply made it was and the keyboard wasn't as solid as the 8330. After a few days, I have to say I like the iPhone and to have a good web browser wherever I'm at. The call quality has been pretty good. I like being able to stream music and check facebook easily. I can't imagine not having unlimited data on these phones. I can see why AT&T wouldn't be a drawback because they don't offer this anymore.

The onscreen keyboard is taking some getting used to as well as how the text messages come on the screen in the middle and interrupt you. Sometimes I like this feature and other times I don't depending on what I'm doing. I wish there was an indicator across the top to alert you to a new text or instant message on AIM or Yahoo.

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Motorola Droid2, I like the iPhone4 better. The screen resolution is amazing compared to the Droid. I don't miss having a keyboard....never used it anyway.

The iPhone is faster, imo, and it just works. I like having my menu in one place. When it comes to sound profiles, I keep my volume on the same level or put it on vibrate for work/church.

I don't care much for notifications. The popups work fine for me. I do wish there was a way to mark all emails as read in the email app, though.

The camera is amazing. I rarely use it without using instagram or picplz though. The quality is way better than my droid's which is also 5mp.

I'm in love. I'm not switching devices any time soon. This does everything and then some.

Forgot to add that the gps is amazingly accurate. Sometimes my droid would be miles off. The iPhone's gps has been consistently correct.

Chadwackg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Im Loving my iPhone. I switched from the BlackBerry Tour 9630. I love the fact that everything seems to run sooooo much smoother and faster. Was slightly worried about not having a keyboard and using the touch screen to text but by half the day of using it my wife looks at me and said "I guess the touch screen doesnt hinder you so much." as I was texting away like I have had the phone for years.. haha I too am missing the Bedside mode. I know I can turn things off and make it similar, it was just nice to either use quick launch to turn beside mode on, or just drop it in the dock and it went to it itself. If anyone comes up with an app like that let me know please! I dont plan on switching anytime soon.... well that is unless I fall deeply in love with the iPhone 5, then I will use the wifes upgrade for me and she can have my 4 :D

crazy4cell

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an lg versa whoa baby! Is there a online manual sometimes things in print are helpful.
Am at micy'ds using there wifi does it get any better than that. 60yr old lovin it

Last edited:

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Moto Droid. So far I like my iPhone. There are a few things I need to get used to. I really like the apps. There is less free apps for the iPhone (it seems) but there are more quality apps.

I much preferred the navigation features on the droid, so far. I may find an app I like as much but so far, it's hit and miss. The droid had a great nav for free. The iPhone has several available, but they are all either expensive, or have a monthly payment. I'm not cheap, I guess it's just hard to spend money, especially a monthly payment on a GPS when such a good one was available free on the Droid.

Another minor complaint is I'll miss my Droid's alarm clock function. Drop it in it's cradle, and it turned into my bedside alarm clock. I tried an app on the iPhone to use as an alarm, and it worked. But overnight it shuts off the screen. So if I want to see the time, I have to turn the phone back on.

Those are really my only complaints and I admit, their minor. Well, the GPS one isn't minor to me, I drive for a living and rely on my phone as my GPS.

The things I like:

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I've owned a few of their products over the years. They do a few things right. Packaging is one thing. It's very minor, but it's just refreshing to buy something that doesn't come in one of those clear plastic packages you need a chain saw to get into. They package stuff in a box that is never bigger than it had to be, and everything fits in nicely.

I like the look and feel of Apple products. They have a solid, quality feel to them. As a gear head, I like that.

The screen is great. That's all I have to say about that.

The app selection is tough to beat. I don't know who has more apps right now, Android or iPhone, but I do know that iPhone has more apps I want to own.

The camera just works better. I don't care what the MP count it. To my eyes, the iPhone camera takes a better picture.

I like the selection of accessories. You can go just about anywhere and have several cases and docks to choose from. With the Droid, once Verizon started selling the Droid 2 and Droid X, you couldn't find anything for the original Droid. Not so with Apple. When I went to get a case, it was a culture shock. I'm used to needing a case, going to the store and buying the only case they have that fits my phone. With the iPhone, I went to Verizon, Best Buy and the Apple Store. At each place, there were literally so many cases for my phone, I would lock up. No idea which one I wanted!

Thats all I can think of for now. And Rage HD just got done installing so I'm going to check it out.

roefernj

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This phone is amazing!

Compared to the BB Storm 2 which I was using. The retina display is amazing and the phone is super quick. I do miss the bedside mode and all the profiles my BB had, but the iphone was definetly worth the wait and switch.

There are a TON of apps, almost too many to go through. Battery life is awesome.

Oh yeah, I will not miss the battery pulls and 10 minute boot times!

Reactions: anon4705295

xwera43#IM

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It's everything I expected. The only thing that kept me from getting an iPhone a long time ago was AT&T's network where I live. Only miss one thing about the BB Tour: the Bedside 'manner mode' that when I dropped it into the desktop charging dock, it displayed a clock, and disabled all alerts/tones for everything but calls... Looking for an app for that.

Maybe you've gotten an answer by now but other than having a clock displayed, you can silence your phone with the switch on the side. You do have to disable vibration notifications so that the phone doesn't vibrate while you're trying to seep.

Hope that helps.

X

xwera43#IM

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Quite simply, this is an easy phone to use. I do eventually plan on getting a dual-core Android based phone in the future unless the iPhone 5 makes that leap. Even then, there is not a lot you can mess with on this phone (not looked into jailbreaking yet... trying my best not to as I've spent enough time with BlackBerry & Android OS hacking already). I should be satisfied in that regard but I'm still adjusting to the iPhone and it's missing a few things that there's probably an app for. :rolleyes:

As with many others, notification is a very sore subject. You can see the notification light on a BlackBerry from across the room. You need to be REAL close or in a dark room to see them on any Droid I've owned (MotoDroid, Eris & Incredible - Still have the Incredible) but the fact the the iPhone screen lights up for a couple seconds & a sound does play, it's just hard to get used to. Plus, I'm having trouble adjusting the various sound volumes. I would think they would make that easier. :confused:

It's just going to take more than 4 days to adjust. :)

X

Park

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got my VZW iPhone yesterday, and I'm going to test it side-by-side with my at&t one for a while, then keep the one I like best.

Unfortunately, Verizon service sucks at my house the same as AT&T service (Sprint is the only service that works well). I live in the center of Austin, so signal strength should be good, but we're at the bottom of a hill and I guess there are no close VZW or AT&T towers.

I have noticed that when I make a call on the Verizon phone, the 3G (or little circle that represents 2G) disappears, then reappears when I hang up. The at&t iPhone does not do this. Anyone else see this happening?

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
All in all I love this phone. The speed is fantastic, having an iPod and a phone as the same device is easier, and coming from a blackberry curve the camera is 100x better. The battery life is comparable (3/4 day if I'm on it a lot). The touch screen will take some getting used to and omg I miss my blinking LED and BBM, but this is a better phone.
Drawbacks? You can't really customize the settings. I hate the text message box. The world doesn't need to know I have a text and who ts from, I only need the phone to vibrate.
I keep getting a little blue circle where the 3G should be...but I have not dropped a call.
Best thing about it? Netflix and angry birds.

boogermin28

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Thumbs Up

Ditched my AT&T iP4 for VZW's version and I'm liking it. Battery life is comparable to its GSM's counterpart. I can now make calls in areas that were usually "dead zones", which is the primary reason I switched. Yeah, VZW's data speeds are slower on paper, but their 3G coverage is MUCH better than AT&T's (for me at least), so in "real-world" usage, VZW seems to be "faster" because I can actually access the web when I need/want to. Sure, I can't surf and talk at the same time, but, I've been using an iPhone since the original, and I can literally count the number of times I needed to surf/talk simultaneously on one hand, so it's a non-issue.

boogermin28

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
All in all I love this phone. The speed is fantastic, having an iPod and a phone as the same device is easier, and coming from a blackberry curve the camera is 100x better. The battery life is comparable (3/4 day if I'm on it a lot). The touch screen will take some getting used to and omg I miss my blinking LED and BBM, but this is a better phone.
Drawbacks? You can't really customize the settings. I hate the text message box. The world doesn't need to know I have a text and who ts from, I only need the phone to vibrate.
I keep getting a little blue circle where the 3G should be...but I have not dropped a call.
If you want your phone to only vibrate, to to Settings > Sounds and under "Ringer and Alerts", slide the volume all the way down and make sure "Vibrate" is on under this section as well as under "Silent" up top (if you want your phone to vibrate when you "mute" your phone).

flyman312

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
VZ iPhone

I came from a Blackberry Storm2 and I have never been happier to make the switch.

The only thing that I would LOVE to see on the iPhone is better sound notification management: Some nights I am on call and need ALL alerts off EXCEPT for my phone ringer and alarm clock notifications. With the blackberry it was very easy to set these up. Also while at work I like my notifications to be loud for text and phone ringer, but facebook notifications and other items to be muted somewhat so it doesn't announce to the world all day that I am getting all these notifications.

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I know how to change the alerts, what I want to get rid of is the pop up box that comes with the vibration.

smh16

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love it so far! :D Switched from a Samsung Rogue and iPod Touch 3rd gen.

Verizon is the only carrier that serves the area where I live and work. With the Rogue, I would normally have 2-3 bars and decent call quality. I'm averaging 3-4 bars with the vzw iPhone and calls are very clear on both ends. Data speeds have been great. Everything runs smoothly, even in areas where I couldn't even think of using data on the Rogue

I had no problems getting everything activated and running. Got my apps set up from my Touch and downloaded a few more as well. Email is running perfectly as are the apps I have set up to push notifications (FB, etc).

So far, battery life has exceeded what I expected.

The camera is freakin' incredible! :D I no longer have to ask my boyfriend to leave the digital camera for me when he goes to work or off to do his DJ gigs. Love it!

I'm a very happy new iPhone user :)

Park

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

From what I understand, the blue circle means you're dropping down to 1xRTT. I'm getting this too, even in the middle of supposedly good EVDO coverage (Austin).

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It's happened but so far hasn't hurt the functionality of the phone. I'm still a happy camper. Coming from blackberry Internet to iPhone Internet is enough to make me smile any day, even if it's a little slow when I have a blue o.

swann3030

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Droid 1

Pros: BATTERY LIFE (dont need to search for a charger at 4:00pm, Apps, much more apps then android market, Screen, vibrant and crisp, speed, programs and apps far less buggy and open much faster. GPS and camera work far better then Droid

Cons: Profiles, missing setting custom ring tones and notifications during specific times etc...No LED indicator on the phone to let you know of a missed text or call

over all 3.5 stars, come up with a profile app and its a 4

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73