Coming from an lg versa whoa baby! Is there a online manual sometimes things in print are helpful.
    Am at micy'ds using there wifi does it get any better than that. 60yr old lovin it
    Last edited by crazy4cell; 02-10-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    02-10-2011 06:17 PM
    I came from a Moto Droid. So far I like my iPhone. There are a few things I need to get used to. I really like the apps. There is less free apps for the iPhone (it seems) but there are more quality apps.

I much preferred the navigation features on the droid, so far. I may find an app I like as much but so far, it's hit and miss. The droid had a great nav for free. The iPhone has several available, but they are all either expensive, or have a monthly payment. I'm not cheap, I guess it's just hard to spend money, especially a monthly payment on a GPS when such a good one was available free on the Droid.

Another minor complaint is I'll miss my Droid's alarm clock function. Drop it in it's cradle, and it turned into my bedside alarm clock. I tried an app on the iPhone to use as an alarm, and it worked. But overnight it shuts off the screen. So if I want to see the time, I have to turn the phone back on.

Those are really my only complaints and I admit, their minor. Well, the GPS one isn't minor to me, I drive for a living and rely on my phone as my GPS.

The things I like:

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I've owned a few of their products over the years. They do a few things right. Packaging is one thing. It's very minor, but it's just refreshing to buy something that doesn't come in one of those clear plastic packages you need a chain saw to get into. They package stuff in a box that is never bigger than it had to be, and everything fits in nicely.

I like the look and feel of Apple products. They have a solid, quality feel to them. As a gear head, I like that.

The screen is great. That's all I have to say about that.

The app selection is tough to beat. I don't know who has more apps right now, Android or iPhone, but I do know that iPhone has more apps I want to own.

The camera just works better. I don't care what the MP count it. To my eyes, the iPhone camera takes a better picture.

I like the selection of accessories. You can go just about anywhere and have several cases and docks to choose from. With the Droid, once Verizon started selling the Droid 2 and Droid X, you couldn't find anything for the original Droid. Not so with Apple. When I went to get a case, it was a culture shock. I'm used to needing a case, going to the store and buying the only case they have that fits my phone. With the iPhone, I went to Verizon, Best Buy and the Apple Store. At each place, there were literally so many cases for my phone, I would lock up. No idea which one I wanted!

Thats all I can think of for now. And Rage HD just got done installing so I'm going to check it out.
    02-10-2011 07:11 PM
    Compared to the BB Storm 2 which I was using. The retina display is amazing and the phone is super quick. I do miss the bedside mode and all the profiles my BB had, but the iphone was definetly worth the wait and switch.

There are a TON of apps, almost too many to go through. Battery life is awesome.

Oh yeah, I will not miss the battery pulls and 10 minute boot times!
    anon4705295 likes this.
    02-11-2011 12:52 AM
    It's everything I expected. The only thing that kept me from getting an iPhone a long time ago was AT&T's network where I live. Only miss one thing about the BB Tour: the Bedside 'manner mode' that when I dropped it into the desktop charging dock, it displayed a clock, and disabled all alerts/tones for everything but calls... Looking for an app for that.
    Maybe you've gotten an answer by now but other than having a clock displayed, you can silence your phone with the switch on the side. You do have to disable vibration notifications so that the phone doesn't vibrate while you're trying to seep.

Hope that helps.

X
    02-11-2011 04:18 AM
    Quite simply, this is an easy phone to use. I do eventually plan on getting a dual-core Android based phone in the future unless the iPhone 5 makes that leap. Even then, there is not a lot you can mess with on this phone (not looked into jailbreaking yet... trying my best not to as I've spent enough time with BlackBerry & Android OS hacking already). I should be satisfied in that regard but I'm still adjusting to the iPhone and it's missing a few things that there's probably an app for.

As with many others, notification is a very sore subject. You can see the notification light on a BlackBerry from across the room. You need to be REAL close or in a dark room to see them on any Droid I've owned (MotoDroid, Eris & Incredible - Still have the Incredible) but the fact the the iPhone screen lights up for a couple seconds & a sound does play, it's just hard to get used to. Plus, I'm having trouble adjusting the various sound volumes. I would think they would make that easier.

It's just going to take more than 4 days to adjust.

X
    02-11-2011 05:04 AM
    I just got my VZW iPhone yesterday, and I'm going to test it side-by-side with my at&t one for a while, then keep the one I like best.

Unfortunately, Verizon service sucks at my house the same as AT&T service (Sprint is the only service that works well). I live in the center of Austin, so signal strength should be good, but we're at the bottom of a hill and I guess there are no close VZW or AT&T towers.

I have noticed that when I make a call on the Verizon phone, the 3G (or little circle that represents 2G) disappears, then reappears when I hang up. The at&t iPhone does not do this. Anyone else see this happening?
    02-11-2011 10:55 AM
    All in all I love this phone. The speed is fantastic, having an iPod and a phone as the same device is easier, and coming from a blackberry curve the camera is 100x better. The battery life is comparable (3/4 day if I'm on it a lot). The touch screen will take some getting used to and omg I miss my blinking LED and BBM, but this is a better phone.
    Drawbacks? You can't really customize the settings. I hate the text message box. The world doesn't need to know I have a text and who ts from, I only need the phone to vibrate.
    I keep getting a little blue circle where the 3G should be...but I have not dropped a call.
    Best thing about it? Netflix and angry birds.
    02-11-2011 11:09 AM
    Ditched my AT&T iP4 for VZW's version and I'm liking it. Battery life is comparable to its GSM's counterpart. I can now make calls in areas that were usually "dead zones", which is the primary reason I switched. Yeah, VZW's data speeds are slower on paper, but their 3G coverage is MUCH better than AT&T's (for me at least), so in "real-world" usage, VZW seems to be "faster" because I can actually access the web when I need/want to. Sure, I can't surf and talk at the same time, but, I've been using an iPhone since the original, and I can literally count the number of times I needed to surf/talk simultaneously on one hand, so it's a non-issue.
    02-11-2011 11:15 AM
    All in all I love this phone. The speed is fantastic, having an iPod and a phone as the same device is easier, and coming from a blackberry curve the camera is 100x better. The battery life is comparable (3/4 day if I'm on it a lot). The touch screen will take some getting used to and omg I miss my blinking LED and BBM, but this is a better phone.
    Drawbacks? You can't really customize the settings. I hate the text message box. The world doesn't need to know I have a text and who ts from, I only need the phone to vibrate.
    I keep getting a little blue circle where the 3G should be...but I have not dropped a call.
    If you want your phone to only vibrate, to to Settings > Sounds and under "Ringer and Alerts", slide the volume all the way down and make sure "Vibrate" is on under this section as well as under "Silent" up top (if you want your phone to vibrate when you "mute" your phone).
    02-11-2011 11:19 AM
    I came from a Blackberry Storm2 and I have never been happier to make the switch.

The only thing that I would LOVE to see on the iPhone is better sound notification management: Some nights I am on call and need ALL alerts off EXCEPT for my phone ringer and alarm clock notifications. With the blackberry it was very easy to set these up. Also while at work I like my notifications to be loud for text and phone ringer, but facebook notifications and other items to be muted somewhat so it doesn't announce to the world all day that I am getting all these notifications.
    02-11-2011 11:24 AM
    I know how to change the alerts, what I want to get rid of is the pop up box that comes with the vibration.
    02-11-2011 11:42 AM
    I absolutely love it so far! Switched from a Samsung Rogue and iPod Touch 3rd gen.

Verizon is the only carrier that serves the area where I live and work. With the Rogue, I would normally have 2-3 bars and decent call quality. I'm averaging 3-4 bars with the vzw iPhone and calls are very clear on both ends. Data speeds have been great. Everything runs smoothly, even in areas where I couldn't even think of using data on the Rogue

I had no problems getting everything activated and running. Got my apps set up from my Touch and downloaded a few more as well. Email is running perfectly as are the apps I have set up to push notifications (FB, etc).

So far, battery life has exceeded what I expected.

The camera is freakin' incredible! I no longer have to ask my boyfriend to leave the digital camera for me when he goes to work or off to do his DJ gigs. Love it!

I'm a very happy new iPhone user
    02-11-2011 11:47 AM
    From what I understand, the blue circle means you're dropping down to 1xRTT. I'm getting this too, even in the middle of supposedly good EVDO coverage (Austin).
    02-11-2011 11:50 AM
    It's happened but so far hasn't hurt the functionality of the phone. I'm still a happy camper. Coming from blackberry Internet to iPhone Internet is enough to make me smile any day, even if it's a little slow when I have a blue o.
    02-11-2011 11:59 AM
    Coming from Droid 1

Pros: BATTERY LIFE (dont need to search for a charger at 4:00pm, Apps, much more apps then android market, Screen, vibrant and crisp, speed, programs and apps far less buggy and open much faster. GPS and camera work far better then Droid

Cons: Profiles, missing setting custom ring tones and notifications during specific times etc...No LED indicator on the phone to let you know of a missed text or call

over all 3.5 stars, come up with a profile app and its a 4
    02-11-2011 12:16 PM
    So my smartphone progression was as follows.. Palm 700w (ouch), Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Storm 2 (yes, apparently I was a glutton for punishment) and now the iPhone 4.

Night and Day does not being to describe the experience. What makes me the most happy is the iPhone does what it's supposed to do and does it well. The Storm series tripped over itself when it came to multimedia. The messaging aspect was great, however if you were getting a Storm you were expecting a multimedia experience as well.

The notifications are different on the iPhone, so getting used to that. My other point/question and maybe somebody here can help.

On my blackberry I kept some word documents and excel files on the BB. I would update these on occasion on my PC and copy them over when I connected, this way I can attach them and send them to emails from the Blackberry. I don't necessary need to edit these files on the iPhone etc.

So, what I am asking is.. is there a way or app that will allow me to sync Microsoft office documents from my PC to the iPhone and also allow me to attach them in e-mails? I know there are workarounds (forwarding the attachments to myself etc) but I would like to do it in the way described.

Aside from this question, this is a great device and am thrilled to have one!!
    Last edited by robertfly; 02-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    02-11-2011 02:11 PM
    Only miss one thing about the BB Tour: the Bedside 'manner mode' that when I dropped it into the desktop charging dock, it displayed a clock, and disabled all alerts/tones for everything but calls... Looking for an app for that.
    try 'alarm rebel' or 'nightstand' there both good for overnight clocks, alarms, ect. I use nightstand over the stock clock app
    02-11-2011 03:07 PM
    Only thing wrong is that no Road Runner mail.
    02-11-2011 04:10 PM
    At robertfly: see docs to go app from app store. Save , edit, email from your iPhone with this app . Syncs with desk top as well.
    02-11-2011 08:23 PM
    I came from a Moto Droid. So far I like my iPhone. There are a few things I need to get used to. I really like the apps. There is less free apps for the iPhone (it seems) but there are more quality apps.

I much preferred the navigation features on the droid, so far. I may find an app I like as much but so far, it's hit and miss. The droid had a great nav for free. The iPhone has several available, but they are all either expensive, or have a monthly payment. I'm not cheap, I guess it's just hard to spend money, especially a monthly payment on a GPS when such a good one was available free on the Droid.

Another minor complaint is I'll miss my Droid's alarm clock function. Drop it in it's cradle, and it turned into my bedside alarm clock. I tried an app on the iPhone to use as an alarm, and it worked. But overnight it shuts off the screen. So if I want to see the time, I have to turn the phone back on.

Those are really my only complaints and I admit, their minor. Well, the GPS one isn't minor to me, I drive for a living and rely on my phone as my GPS.

The things I like:

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I've owned a few of their products over the years. They do a few things right. Packaging is one thing. It's very minor, but it's just refreshing to buy something that doesn't come in one of those clear plastic packages you need a chain saw to get into. They package stuff in a box that is never bigger than it had to be, and everything fits in nicely.

I like the look and feel of Apple products. They have a solid, quality feel to them. As a gear head, I like that.

The app selection is tough to beat. I don't know who has more apps right now, Android or iPhone, but I do know that iPhone has more apps I want to own.

The camera just works better. I don't care what the MP count it. To my eyes, the iPhone camera takes a better picture.

I like the selection of accessories. You can go just about anywhere and have several cases and docks to choose from. With the Droid, once Verizon started selling the Droid 2 and Droid X, you couldn't find anything for the original Droid. Not so with Apple. When I went to get a case, it was a culture shock. I'm used to needing a case, going to the store and buying the only case they have that fits my phone. With the iPhone, I went to Verizon, Best Buy and the Apple Store. At each place, there were literally so many cases for my phone, I would lock up. No idea which one I wanted!

Thats all I can think of for now. And Rage HD just got done installing so I'm going to check it out.
    Mapquest and Waze are free GPS apps for the Iphone. I prefer Mapquest, it has worked fine for me.
    02-11-2011 11:44 PM
    As a Mac guy I really, really want to love my new iPhone. I think that this is clearly a better media device than my trusty BlackBerry 9650, surfs the web better, better camera, etc. The "fun" items are clearly better.

I really don't mean it to, but I'm sure this will come off as a rant. I wanted to give my honest first impressions coming from BlackBerry. I'm sure I'll find work-arounds but here's where I'm at right now after three days with the device-

From a "getting things done" perspective, I'm really disappointed. Here are a few items: ***IF YOU HAVE SOLUTIONS TO THESE ISSUES PLEASE LET ME KNOW***

-No LED notifications...knew that going in, just never realized how much I relied on it until I don't have it. BerryBuzz is an amazing app for Berry...maybe the iPhone5 will have LED

-The calendar is weak. One item in particular- I have multiple conference calls per week. There is no conference call option built into the calendar like there is with BlackBerry. By that I mean I can enter an event in my BB calendar and check the "conference call" option and it gives me a spot to enter the call-in number AND the access code. When the alert tells me it's time for the conference call I can click "join now" and it dials the number then the passcode. I don't have to remember all of that info or write it down so i can manually enter it on my iPhone. Perhaps there's an app, but I haven't found it yet...suggestions anyone?

-To Do list? Is there one? I haven't found it. It could be that I'm missing it but I now have to put things into the calendar as appointments to get a notification for it. I use the tasks feature in my iCal but those don't show up on my phone...even using MobileMe. I know there are apps, but I haven't had time to find a good one yet.

-Battery life is 2/3 what my BB was. It could be that I'm spending more time playing with my new toy (that display is simply amazing) than my Berry, but I'm charging it by 2pm every day.

-Signal strength is horrific. I can no longer hold onto calls like I could on my Berry. I work in SD/UT/WY where there is sketchy signal at times and my Berry would allow me to talk for much longer than my iPhone before dropping the call.

Looking forward to so great solutions from the group. I'll post again after a week or so. Thanks!
    02-12-2011 02:32 PM
    Ok, can't help with most, but...

-The calendar is weak. One item in particular- I have multiple conference calls per week. There is no conference call option built into the calendar like there is with BlackBerry. By that I mean I can enter an event in my BB calendar and check the "conference call" option and it gives me a spot to enter the call-in number AND the access code. When the alert tells me it's time for the conference call I can click "join now" and it dials the number then the passcode. I don't have to remember all of that info or write it down so i can manually enter it on my iPhone. Perhaps there's an app, but I haven't found it yet...suggestions anyone?

-To Do list? Is there one? I haven't found it. It could be that I'm missing it but I now have to put things into the calendar as appointments to get a notification for it. I use the tasks feature in my iCal but those don't show up on my phone...even using MobileMe. I know there are apps, but I haven't had time to find a good one yet.
    I think you can put in two comma's in after the phone number then the conference number. I am not sure if it was the iPhone or the Good app I need to use for my work email, but when I click on the phone number, it asked if I would like to add a conference number, then gave me a list of items it thought was the conference code. It then dialed, an had the commas and code.

As far as to do, I use toodledo.
    02-12-2011 02:53 PM
    Ok, can't help with most, but...

I think you can put in two comma's in after the phone number then the conference number. I am not sure if it was the iPhone or the Good app I need to use for my work email, but when I click on the phone number, it asked if I would like to add a conference number, then gave me a list of items it thought was the conference code. It then dialed, an had the commas and code.

As far as to do, I use toodledo.
    Thanks Starbird. I'll give that a try.
    02-12-2011 09:14 PM

The things I like:

For Navigation I'm using Waze and Skobbler; Home - skobbler - smart apps and more based on the OpenStreetMap - OSM Great apps.
    02-14-2011 08:04 AM
    LOVE IT, had a storm switched to droid in July. Battery went down in minutes (or at least it seemed that way). Hated it, apps were crap. Have an Ipad and touch so it's like a homecoming as far as that is concerned. Only one thing so far. I went on itunes on my phone and downloaded to ringtones. On my other phone they popped right up in my useable ringtone library but these are existing under my itunes folders. Do I have to sync it up with my itunes account on my computer to move them over or is there another way?
    02-15-2011 12:30 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD