Anyone switch back to Android?

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious. I bought an iphone 4 for my wife last week, and she loves it so far. I had planned to wait for the Thunderbolt to switch from my Incredible and compare the two, but I'm getting antsy and am thinking of picking up an iphone 4 for myself. Has anyone regretted the switch and decided iOS just wasn't for them. I am very very impressed with the build quality and screen on the iphone 4. Really does blow away Android devices I've seen and used including my DINC.

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I still have my Droid2, but I'm drawn more to the iPhone. So much that I leave the D2 at home and carry the iPhone with me...

Android is great, don't get me wrong, but in my opinion, iOS is better. I can't see myself going back. I'm selling it next week.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone contemplating an OS change should give it a couple weeks to really make a decision. If it takes a day for a person to decide they made a mistake then they probably wanted to switch for the wrong reasons in the first place. If it helps, I keep changing from iPhone to other platforms searching for the best device and I always end up going back to iPhone.

I first switched to iPhone in 2008. At that time I was a blackberry user for a few years. I bought a macbook and they were giving out iPod touches for free with purchase. So after using the iPod touch, I was blown away and thought "I can have a phone that can do all this!?" My wife was skeptical about it and all the hype. So I surprised her and brought 2 home. Saying that she fell in love with the iPhone was an understatement. I was still having BB withdrawal so I was using both the iPhone and BB for a while. Then the 3GS came out and all the updates we were clamoring for hit OS 3 and it was a done deal for blackberry for good. I tried a couple Android phones for a while and even switched to sprint (to my wife's dismay) and used the EVO to see what the hype was about. And its a good platform but not good enough to keep us from the iPhone.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone contemplating an OS change should give it a couple weeks to really make a decision. If it takes a day for a person to decide they made a mistake then they probably wanted to switch for the wrong reasons in the first place. If it helps, I keep changing from iPhone to other platforms searching for the best device and I always end up going back to iPhone.

I first switched to iPhone in 2008. At that time I was a blackberry user for a few years. I bought a macbook and they were giving out iPod touches for free with purchase. So after using the iPod touch, I was blown away and thought "I can have a phone that can do all this!?" My wife was skeptical about it and all the hype. So I surprised her and brought 2 home. Saying that she fell in love with the iPhone was an understatement. I was still having BB withdrawal so I was using both the iPhone and BB for a while. Then the 3GS came out and all the updates we were clamoring for hit OS 3 and it was a done deal for blackberry for good. I tried a couple Android phones for a while and even switched to sprint (to my wife's dismay) and used the EVO to see what the hype was about. And its a good platform but not good enough to keep us from the iPhone.

I feel the exact same way. Coolant have put it better myself. I used Blackberry for years and switched to the 3GS. I switched back after a few weeks cause I missed the blackberry. I finally convinced my wife to try the iPhone and she loves it. Android is nice I have had most of them but iOS is so much nicer and polished I can't go back now.

jrv331

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I left my HTC Incredible for the Iphone. Now Ive only had the Iphone for 3 days and really like its speed and ease of use. But I hate that you cannot customize it at all. I have to use the standard notifications(other than ringtone), the txt msg program sucks. There were a ton of messaging apps for android and none that I can find in the apple store.

If you want customization your basically told to Jailbreak and void your warranty.

Just my thoughts

adamped92

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
im switching from a droid based on two reason a) i have a ipod hookup in my car b) android was just to much, my incredible sucked batterylife wise,random freezing and it was just a pain to deal with, the app market is ok for android but i dont need to custimize every little thing

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I left my HTC Incredible for the Iphone. Now Ive only had the Iphone for 3 days and really like its speed and ease of use. But I hate that you cannot customize it at all. I have to use the standard notifications(other than ringtone), the txt msg program sucks. There were a ton of messaging apps for android and none that I can find in the apple store.

If you want customization your basically told to Jailbreak and void your warranty.

Just my thoughts

I used Handscent on Android and besides changing the theme and colors what did it do that was so much better than either the Android or iPhone native text apps? Just wondering what your thoughts are?

Last edited:

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
like many of the posters have already said....

i started smartphones with an old blackberry, then when the OG iphone came out i made the switch, i was blown away it was way better! i then proceeded to the iphone 3g....after using that for a year the blackberry storm was coming out so i thought i would give that a try...to my dismay i hated it, so i was stuck with a regular old blackberry curve.

when verizon announced the Droid phones i was excited that i could finally get a phone that had an iphone like experience. while android wad good, it just was not for me. i am not a heavy customizer, however to get the max performance out of my droid i had to root it. which i was a little uncomfortable with.

enter the verizon iphone, i am so glad i switched back. i love the ease of use and the simplicity of iOS.
it just works...

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
im switching from a droid based on two reason a) i have a ipod hookup in my car b) android was just to much, my incredible sucked batterylife wise,random freezing and it was just a pain to deal with, the app market is ok for android but i dont need to custimize every little thing

Exactly. I got tired of having to manage the battery life with task killers and worrying about what was running, I did experience random lag here and there and I feel just like you about the customization. I do understand others as well but I think it's just overkill for some thing especially the notifications. Widgets drain battery and get old fast. I think Android goes overboard in some areas while Apple doesn't allow enough. Need a middle ground between the 2 for it to be optimal.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
like many of the posters have already said....

i started smartphones with an old blackberry, then when the OG iphone came out i made the switch, i was blown away it was way better! i then proceeded to the iphone 3g....after using that for a year the blackberry storm was coming out so i thought i would give that a try...to my dismay i hated it, so i was stuck with a regular old blackberry curve.

when verizon announced the Droid phones i was excited that i could finally get a phone that had an iphone like experience. while android wad good, it just was not for me. i am not a heavy customizer, however to get the max performance out of my droid i had to root it. which i was a little uncomfortable with.

enter the verizon iphone, i am so glad i switched back. i love the ease of use and the simplicity of iOS.
it just works...

Yeah I waited out there for the Storm and I was truly pissed. And Android for many people was just a stop gap until they have access to an iPhone. It's an alternative.

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have had a droid and droid x and I can say this I love the iPhone 4 this far so much smoother and lag and freeze free

jrv331

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I used Handscent as well and like that program, pluse you had more options for reminders. Iphone gives 2.

Its not the fact that I dont have to customize every little thing, its the fact that I cant even if I wanted to.

Dont get me wrong I love my Iphone and will be putting my indredible up for sale pretty soon, but I just wish I had more personal choices. Hopefully in the 5.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I used Handscent as well and like that program, pluse you had more options for reminders. Iphone gives 2.

Its not the fact that I dont have to customize every little thing, its the fact that I cant even if I wanted to.

Dont get me wrong I love my Iphone and will be putting my indredible up for sale pretty soon, but I just wish I had more personal choices. Hopefully in the 5.

Ok so you're issue is not exactly the messaging program but about reminders and notifications. Ok, I understand. I was just wonder your thoughts.

But I don't see why these come as a surprise. Google doesn't care what you load on to their phones. They just want you to use their phones. Apple wants you to use their proprietary software. Just like a blackberry, you can't use other calendar app and get comparable function, or load a different client for email and get the same benefits of blackberry push. Android, for better and worst wants people to be able to do what they want. And that's good but everyone company isn't like that. I would think people research these things before they take the plunge and then be disappointed.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with IOS who knows what the iphone 5 and future will bring I think if they announce a future iphone with 4inch screen and finish some of the minor things such as notifications and that there is no need to go back to android. I was thinking about getting the thunderbolt also but the delays and no guarantee you will get an update isnt worth me being stuck with a phone.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site

Just my thoughts

You could always restore back to the new factory conditions and your phone would still be replaceable..

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I used Handscent on Android and besides changing the theme and colors what did it do that was so much better than either the Android or iPhone native text apps? Just wondering what your thoughts are?

I currently have the Droid Incredible as well and love that you are able to customize just about everything on the phone. IMO, Handcent SMS is one of the best apps available in the Android Market. The ability to assign different colored notification envelopes and assign different notification tones for each caller is great!

I'm hoping that there is a jailbroken app that is similar to Handcent......:eek:

Plus, in terms of build quality, the iPhone cannot be beat. As many reviewers have said, it feels like a high-end luxury watch.

I just ordered last night and waiting for mine to arrive. Aside from the ability to customize, I'm also concerned about voice quality, earpiece volume, how loud the ringer is, how strong the vibrate motor is, etc. -- after all, it is still a phone.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Droid Incredible as well and love that you are able to customize just about everything on the phone. IMO, Handcent SMS is one of the best apps available in the Android Market. The ability to assign different colored notification envelopes and assign different notification tones for each caller is great!

I'm hoping that there is a jailbroken app that is similar to Handcent......:eek:

Plus, in terms of build quality, the iPhone cannot be beat. As many reviewers have said, it feels like a high-end luxury watch.

I just ordered last night and waiting for mine to arrive. Aside from the ability to customize, I'm also concerned about voice quality, earpiece volume, how loud the ringer is, how strong the vibrate motor is, etc. -- after all, it is still a phone.

My wife's iphone 4 arrived on Monday, so I've played with it a bit since then. I always thought my DINC was nice and well put together, but it is nothing like that of the iphone 4. The tolerances are amazing and the screen is rediculous. The watch analogy is a good one (I collect them and wear a Panerai as my daily wearer). I find the voice quality on her iphone superior to that of my DINC and it seems louder as well, but the vibrate does seem weaker. Also, her data speed over 3G was slower than that of my DINC within a foot of each other. I'll probably buy an iphone 4 tomorrow for full price at BB tomorrow so I can return it in 30 days if need be, and then get the Thunderbolt and compare the two.

Reactions: tourstagefan

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife's iphone 4 arrived on Monday, so I've played with it a bit since then. I always thought my DINC was nice and well put together, but it is nothing like that of the iphone 4. The tolerances are amazing and the screen is rediculous. The watch analogy is a good one (I collect them and wear a Panerai as my daily wearer). I find the voice quality on her iphone superior to that of my DINC and it seems louder as well, but the vibrate does seem weaker. Also, her data speed over 3G was slower than that of my DINC within a foot of each other. I'll probably buy an iphone 4 tomorrow for full price at BB tomorrow so I can return it in 30 days if need be, and then get the Thunderbolt and compare the two.

Thanks for addressing some of my concerns.

Panerai watches are great timepieces, I myself have a Breitling. :cool:

I too, was considering the 4G offerings that are soon-to-be-released. Specifically, the Thunderbolt and as-yet-unnamed Samsung 4G phone. However, even with the new HTC Sense 2.0, I cannot help but feel that the day-to-day experience with the phone will be eerily similar to the Incredible.

durangojim#AC

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for addressing some of my concerns.

Panerai watches are great timepieces, I myself have a Breitling. :cool:

I too, was considering the 4G offerings that are soon-to-be-released. Specifically, the Thunderbolt and as-yet-unnamed Samsung 4G phone. However, even with the new HTC Sense 2.0, I cannot help but feel that the day-to-day experience with the phone will be eerily similar to the Incredible.

I agree completely. I keep looking at the wirefly vids, thinking to myself "This looks a lot like my Incredible". I think I was mainly looking forward to LTE speeds because where I live we have LTE service and where I travel mostly they do as well. If the bolt had a higher res screen, I'd be much more excited about it.

As an aside, Breitlings are great watches. I've always wanted to try calling the rescue chopper with their one model.:D Too bad the prices of all fine timepieces keep going up, I bought my first Panerai back in 1999 before it was cool to do so for less than 2K. Now that same one is over 10K (too bad I sold it, but who knew:confused:). Luckily I have 2 that I am happy with and have been for years. Phones have become a much more affordable interest of mine;)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I know. This is about the notification system. And everyone knows the iPhone notification system is very limited. Anyone who doesn't and has an issue didn't do sufficient research. Just my thoughts.

I used handscent and besides changing my background to a black theme the rest was just a bunch of overkill. I don't like all the menu heavy OS where there's a freaking option for everything. You spend more time messing around with that stuff than enjoying the device. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234