Coming from a Droid X, never had this happen before...it would just send one large SMS instead of splitting it up into 2-3 seperate messages like this iPhone is doing. I'm texting the same person I did before....any thoughts?
    02-09-2011 09:49 AM
    Your SMS is too long, I think the iPhone limits it to 169 characters. If it's longer it will split them up.
    02-09-2011 10:05 AM
    At least it lets you keep typing. Try blackberry on Verizon, there is nothing more frustrating!
    shipwrestler125 likes this.
    02-09-2011 10:08 AM
    At least it lets you keep typing. Try blackberry on Verizon, there is nothing more frustrating!
    Amen. I hated that more than life itself.
    02-09-2011 10:14 AM
    I've had them all..BB on Verizon, Palm on Verizon, and Android on Verizon....all of them would allow me to send a message as long as I wanted without splitting it up on the other end (BB required crunchSMS). What puzzles me, is that I'm sending to another iPhone (at&t)....if I could send 400 characters or so in one piece from my Droid X, why on earth would the iPhone be any different?
    02-09-2011 10:19 AM
    International carrier standard is set at 160 characters. It is called SMS because it stands for short message system. If you want longer, send an email.

That being said, some phones will allow you to split messages, or to type more than the set 160 characters. Many do not, because the manufacturers understand the constraints set internationally by carrier.

I can remember being on Sprint with a Treo and receiving a long text from someone on another carrier - the part after 160 either didn't arrive, or it came hours late, or it came garbled. Every once in a while, the 2nd part would show up and the 1st part never did.
    02-09-2011 12:00 PM
    I think android automatically would send the text in mms method. My blackberry could send a novel through mms texting. Apple doesn't give the option.
    02-09-2011 02:43 PM
    Yep, what MECM said. My android would automatically, and I could do it manually on BB, change sms over 160char to mms which allows 1000char. No option on iOS though.
    02-09-2011 03:19 PM
    I hated that feature on on BB, once you ran out of characters you had to send and then keep typing. I love that my iPhone just lets me keep typing and sends it out in 2 sms...my brother in law has an Android phone on Sprint and his SMS come in 2. All of my phones on VZW have had a max character count of 160
    02-09-2011 03:41 PM
    160 characters. SMH.

It's a Blackberry... not Twitter.
    02-09-2011 03:45 PM
    I've never had an issue sending/receiving messages over 160 chars between myself and my wife (both AT&T, both on 3GS's), but anything linger than 160 coming in from other carriers (T-Mobile notably from my mom's BB) are split up automatically.

The reason the Droid never had issues is that it switched the message type to MMS when it went over 160 chars. MMS has a 1000 char limit. The iPhone doesn't do this. Some people can't receive MMS messages (Google Voice, for one). Verizon limits SMS to 160 chars no matter what. You can type longer messages, but they are split automatically (SMS, not MMS). I'm surprised I can send to my wife's iPhone without it splitting up, honestly.
    02-09-2011 03:50 PM
    yeah typing a big text on a bb for verizon would get so old.
    02-09-2011 03:52 PM
    So, tell me, it seems the iphone defaults to MMS, how does one send a SMS?
    02-09-2011 04:52 PM
    I hated texting on my Verizon Blackberry for this very reason. I have no problems on my AT&T iPhone though. I can go well over 160 characters. I always thought it was a Verizon thing and not any individual phone..
    02-09-2011 05:16 PM
    So, tell me, it seems the iphone defaults to MMS, how does one send a SMS?
    It defaults to SMS and won't send a text over 160 chars to a phone other than an iPhone (possibly restricted to network beyond that)
    02-09-2011 07:30 PM
    I hated that feature on on BB, once you ran out of characters you had to send and then keep typing. I love that my iPhone just lets me keep typing and sends it out in 2 sms...my brother in law has an Android phone on Sprint and his SMS come in 2. All of my phones on VZW have had a max character count of 160
    I agree 100% I hated when it would say message character max and I would have to send it and then type an entire new message. I am fine with it sending as two when you get a long message from another carrier it splits it into 2 on verizon phones anyway.
    02-09-2011 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD