When I used blackberry and with my android phones, I always turn sounds off for email notifications, and just let it vibrate to let me know that I have email. With the Iphone, if I turn the sound notification off, the phone won't vibrate. Does anyone know why?
    02-09-2011 09:40 AM
    Maybe a stupid answer but have you tried the switch on the left side by the volume rockers? Normally if you switch that to the left it will vibrate everything.
    02-09-2011 09:46 AM
    Maybe a stupid answer but have you tried the switch on the left side by the volume rockers? Normally if you switch that to the left it will vibrate everything.
    Yeah, it Vibrates everything, including the ringer. I want the ringer to work, just want emails to vibrate with no sound.
    02-09-2011 09:51 AM
    ...briankeith513, you're thinking along the lines of 'profiles'. Sorry, the iPhone does not have this option.

But, if you switch the ENTIRE device to vibrate, yes, it will vibrate when you receive an email.

Not sure if this sort of option is available via a jailbreak. But, maybe something you could look into.
    briankeith513 likes this.
    02-09-2011 09:52 AM
    ...briankeith513, you're thinking along the lines of 'profiles'. Sorry, the iPhone does not have this option.

But, if you switch the ENTIRE device to vibrate, yes, it will vibrate when you receive an email.

Not sure if this sort of option is available via a jailbreak. But, maybe something you could look into.
    Thanks, between that, and the long, difficult procedure to add your own mp3 ringtones, and the lack of an advanced notification system, I'm having thoughts about returning this before the 14 days are up. I also miss the free Google Maps Navigation from Android, and Mapquest Navigation is truly terrible compared to it. Also, can you download a file directly from the browser?
    02-09-2011 10:08 AM
    Thanks, between that, and the long, difficult procedure to add your own mp3 ringtones, and the lack of an advanced notification system, I'm having thoughts about returning this before the 14 days are up. I also miss the free Google Maps Navigation from Android, and Mapquest Navigation is truly terrible compared to it. Also, can you download a file directly from the browser?
    briankeith513, welcome to the wonderful world of Steve Jobs. some of these things you are asking about are unfortunately closed to the average user, which most people do not mind.. don't get me wrong. this is why the jailbreak community exists and always will until Apple decides to use an open system.. which will be never

to truly use your device they way i think you are wanting to, there will most definitely be some micro-managing involved (via jailbreak) and for some people it's simply not worth it. so i do not blame you at all if you do return your device

this is why the Android vs iPhone battle will always continue.. what fits one persons needs, obviously is not what's optimal for the next. there's no better device than the other, imo

good luck
    02-09-2011 11:30 AM
    I hear you, thanks. What's your opinion of jailbreaking...pros vs cons? And do you think it's worth getting an Iphone, already knowing that you'd have to jailbreak it to be able to use it the way that you want to?

briankeith513, welcome to the wonderful world of Steve Jobs. some of these things you are asking about are unfortunately closed to the average user, which most people do not mind.. don't get me wrong. this is why the jailbreak community exists and always will until Apple decides to use an open system.. which will be never

to truly use your device they way i think you are wanting to, there will most definitely be some micro-managing involved (via jailbreak) and for some people it's simply not worth it. so i do not blame you at all if you do return your device

this is why the Android vs iPhone battle will always continue.. what fits one persons needs, obviously is not what's optimal for the next. there's no better device than the other, imo

good luck
    02-09-2011 01:35 PM
    sorry for the delayed response. the VZW forum is crazy busy

a lot of people jailbreak for different reasons; for example: themes, the ability to sms from anywhere from the iphone, better notifications, alternative tones for email, sms, lock, unlock etc.

however, like i mentioned before, micro-management is a must and in a lot of peoples eyes this is a con. when you are jailbroken it seems like you are constantly watching for battery drains or apps/tweaks that might be misbehaving

personally i like being jailbroken. i like the iPhone to a degree. IF i could not jailbreak i would give Apple a couple more versions to see what they bring to the plate and then leave if they fail

maybe the best way for you to look at it would be.. what if you did not like jailbreaking because of issues. do you like the way it is now?

don't get me wrong; the iPhone is a pretty solid device before the jailbreak, it's just some people want more from their device. those people tend to jailbreak or get a different smartphone
    02-09-2011 06:03 PM
    Great info, thanks.

sorry for the delayed response. the VZW forum is crazy busy

a lot of people jailbreak for different reasons; for example: themes, the ability to sms from anywhere from the iphone, better notifications, alternative tones for email, sms, lock, unlock etc.

however, like i mentioned before, micro-management is a must and in a lot of peoples eyes this is a con. when you are jailbroken it seems like you are constantly watching for battery drains or apps/tweaks that might be misbehaving

personally i like being jailbroken. i like the iPhone to a degree. IF i could not jailbreak i would give Apple a couple more versions to see what they bring to the plate and then leave if they fail

maybe the best way for you to look at it would be.. what if you did not like jailbreaking because of issues. do you like the way it is now?

don't get me wrong; the iPhone is a pretty solid device before the jailbreak, it's just some people want more from their device. those people tend to jailbreak or get a different smartphone
    02-09-2011 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD