It comes today. But! Couple questions about setup

adamped92

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok i have a droid blah blah blah, i did backup assitant,this is an upgrade not a new line so a) do i activate by itunes or call *228? b) whats the easiest way to transfer my contacts over

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
iTunes

Easiest way to sync contacts (especially since you said you're coming from a Droid) is to set up Gmail as an Exchange account (google or site search for that) and set it to also sync your contacts and calendar.

You will notice, however, that any images you set for contacts will not show full screen (nor if you sync them with Facebook). They will if you set them with pictures taken or synced on the iPhone (until the next sync with gmail, though). Easy way to compensate for that is to have it sync once, then turn the auto sync off and sync instead with Outlook, Windows Mail, or whatever the default Mac mail program is if you have a Mac (there's a tab for it in iTunes that will allow you to choose). Contact pictures that you set in Outlook will show full screen since they're uncompressed images.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Gmail already syncs automatically on your Droid. All of your contacts are already there.

You may have to go through them (online is easiest) and make sure there aren't any duplicates, or numbers that are in the wrong spots (work instead of mobile, etc). The iPhone will accommodate a lot of field names. More than Outlook or Gmail for sure, so it shouldn't be an issue getting them all in (Blackberry is famous for not having all of the right spots, creating duplicates or dropping numbers altogether when you sync them).

Joe..Cool

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
ok so i have to set gmail exchange on my droid first then it will sync over my contacts?

Look at my first post here. It will sync everything automatically, I would recommend you to connect to wifi to speed it up the syncing process. If you have any questions about the setup post in the GMail thread and I will try to answer any questions you have.

adamped92

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
ok, so i went in my droid syncd my contacts and went on my gmail to see if the uploaded in contacts on their and on gmail.com there is no contacts

Joe..Cool

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
You need to look at the setting on your phone and make sure it is setup to sync with google and not to the phone. I would looking in some of the android forums for a fix.

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
What about for someone using a dumbphone like LG ENV Touch?

Is there any easy way to port contacts over since I can't really sync it to Gmail?

robyj

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I got my contacts to sync using the methods above. Use exchange account, enter gmail account and password. Did you enter the domain as m.google.com

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
What about for someone using a dumbphone like LG ENV Touch?

Is there any easy way to port contacts over since I can't really sync it to Gmail?

If you have backup assistant, you can download the csv file from the BA website that contains your contacts and upload that to Gmail or import to Outlook. You will have to do some major clean up to make sure you get all of the numbers, but it's one option.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711