Can't update iPhone firmware - Windows

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I've had an issue on my laptop ever since the 4.0 firmware was released - everything worked perfectly before 4.0. iTunes recognizes my iPhone 4, will sync normally, but will not apply any firmware updates. When a new firmware is released, it will prompt me to update, however when the download is complete it fails during the install process. I forget the exact error code and I've been too lazy to look for an answer since it happened the first time around :D When I first had the error, it seemed to be only Windows based and the only "fix" I could find was to use a different cable and/or USB port. I've tried both and also un-installing/re-installing iTunes with no success.

I have to use my wife's laptop (also Windows 7) to restore and update my iPhone. This works fine, but I would be screwed if I only had one laptop.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any way to fix this? Google and Apple's discussion forum hasn't led to any possibilities yet. I'm using about a 4-5 year old Dell Inspiron E1705 with Win 7 (32 bit). Current iTunes is installed and my iP4 has never been jailbroken. That is why I'm looking for a fix now though because I'd like to give it a shot :cool:

Thanks....

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
When you uninstalled iTunes did you also remove all the other programs assiciated with it like iPod Services and Bonjour? If not then try removing ALL Apple software then reinstalling.

I've also had a few people (mainly techies) who have disabled the iPod services in Services.msc which would give u this kinda problem

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Mac, so that is not the answer.

It seems to have something to do with trying to perform the update on the machine with which you usually sync. The only way around it is to do the update on a different computer. :(

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't give up that easily. As I said, remove everything Apple then reinstall it. You won't loose any thing from the lib (music, movies, apps) but it is aways a good idea to have a strong back up procedure!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If you some how get rid of your laptop that works to upgarde OS, just go to Apple. They will do it for you and for free

iNitvizn

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
If you some how get rid of your laptop that works to upgarde OS, just go to Apple. They will do it for you and for free

I would if I had an Apple store close by, but the nearest one is 2-3 hours from me. I have 2 other laptops in the house, so it's not a huge deal, just an unwanted hassle.

dpscott said:
When you uninstalled iTunes did you also remove all the other programs assiciated with it like iPod Services and Bonjour? If not then try removing ALL Apple software then reinstalling.

I've also had a few people (mainly techies) who have disabled the iPod services in Services.msc which would give u this kinda problem

I don't have anything else "Apple" installed other than QuickTime, but I'll look for and stop any iPod services next time - thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
When I say other Apple software I mean other little bits associated with iTunes;

Apple Application Support
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
iTunes
MobileMe Control Panel
QuickTime

All of these are installed with iTunes.... you need to remove them all from the Control Panel

ePhoenix

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 3GS bricked every time...

Hello all,

In my case, since version 4, I was unable to complete the OS upgrade from any PC and I tested on 3. 1 XP Pro SP3 and 2 Windows 7.

Every time, the upgrade completes and generate an error (lost connection) at the end of the process. Then my iPhone is bricked and I need to go to the Apple store to have it reflashed there. When it is flashed on a Mac at the Apple store, the upgrade works. I am not paranoid enough to think that Steve decided to be mean with Windows users but I can tell you that I am at least 3 or 4 upgrades behind for now and very happy to report that my iPhone works flawlessly. I turned off the upgrade warning in iTunes and someone will have to prove to me that any further upgrade got fixed and is safe before I proceed...

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers!

ePhoenix

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention that my iPhone is original (not jailbroken), that I always use the very last version of iTunes and that my systems are always fully updated (I am an IT guy). Now, I just found something while browsing and it may apply but I will not try it... lol

vvvvvv.technipages.com/iphone-goes-into-recovery-mode-after-update.html

iPhone Goes Into Recovery Mode After Update | Technipages

iPhone Goes Into Recovery Mode After Update
by Mitch under iPhone | 68 Comments

There has been an issue with the recent iPhone update where it leaves the phone in Recovery Mode. Here are some steps that have been known to fix this problem for Windows users:

1. Disconnect your iPhone from the computer.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Connect the iPhone to the computer.

4. Select Install Drivers Later on the dialog that appears.

5. Hold down the Windows Key and press R.

6. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.

7. Right-click Apple Mobile Device listed under Other Devices and then select Properties.

8. Select Browse?

9. Point it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support and click OK.

The install should finish and your iPhone should now be all good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2